Notifications
Clear all

First Under The Skin Cyst

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 11/19/2012 10:39 am

I have my first ever under the skin cyst. I noticed it 2 days ago at work. It started out as a large fairly flat purplish reddish lump on my cheek. I didn't do anything to it, and it's grown and gotten hard, tender and red. I'm honestly scared shitless right now.

My sister says she gets these a lot, and they go away on their own. I don't think my immune system is as strong hers. My mom who's a nurse practitioner told me to go to the store and get some triple antibiotic ointment. I got Neosporin with 3 different antibiotics in it, and an anti inflammatory.

Last night I applied a warm washcloth to the cyst, then applied the Neosporin. Went to bed. This morning it's harder and more tender. I have no idea what to do. Any tips? I've read so many different treatments such as tea tree oil, benzoyl peroxide, aspirin mask, warm compress with an antiobitic ointment like I'm using. Some people say it takes a week or so to go down. Please no!!

Please help me!! I'm not squeezing it or touching it, so you don't have to warn me on that. Should I go to a derm and have them inject it so it can go away today and not linger around for a week or so? Is this something that comes to a head and needs to be popped, or does it drain/dissolve on its own?

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 11/19/2012 10:44 am

I have had these in the past. Don't freak out!! They suck, but they WILL go down. One thing that helps me is using Milk of Magnesia as a spot treatment on the cystic pimple. It decreases inflammation. Try applying ice as well.

Really the only thing you can do is wait. If it doesn't go down in a week or so, I'd say go to your derm and have it injected. Sometimes cystic pimples come to a head and can be popped--other times, they don't. The last time I got a cystic pimple was around August and it went down on its own after a week. Whatever you do, don't pick at it.

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 11/19/2012 10:44 am

hate to be bad news bears over here, but sometimes they just don't go away. =( they have to run their course, but sometimes they will come to a head, if you're lucky. i would just leave it alone personally, usually it will go away within a week. you should be fine! :)

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 11/19/2012 11:45 am

Take some zinc and drink carrot/vegetable juice. Might speed things up.

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 11/19/2012 12:41 pm

I used to get these all the time especially on my forehead and temples. Unfortunately a cyst doesn`t fade overnight but from my experience the best thing to do is to let them run their course. Applying topicals left, right and centre will probably just aggravate it and cause it to become more inflamed so my advice would be to just stick to your normal cleansing routine and let it run it`s course.

I know it`s hard if you are self-conscious about your skin but try not to stress out too much about it. It may take a few days to go but it will go and providing you don`t pick or squeeze it, there should be no HP or scarring.

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 11/19/2012 1:10 pm

I used to get these all the time especially on my forehead and temples. Unfortunately a cyst doesn`t fade overnight but from my experience the best thing to do is to let them run their course. Applying topicals left, right and centre will probably just aggravate it and cause it to become more inflamed so my advice would be to just stick to your normal cleansing routine and let it run it`s course.

I know it`s hard if you are self-conscious about your skin but try not to stress out too much about it. It may take a few days to go but it will go and providing you don`t pick or squeeze it, there should be no HP or scarring.

In your experience, do they just fade and go away completely on their own or do they come to a head and need to be popped? All I've been applying is a warm wash cloth and some Neosporin.

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 11/19/2012 1:22 pm

In your experience, do they just fade and go away completely on their own or do they come to a head and need to be popped? All I've been applying is a warm wash cloth and some Neosporin.

Most of the cysts that I got never came to a head - they were just a red, inflamed bump. Some took longer than others to go but generally most would be gone within a week to ten days providing I didn`t squeeze or muck about with them. I also used to find that applying ice every night helped with the swelling.

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 11/19/2012 3:59 pm

This is seriously taking over my life. My skin has been clear for about a month, and then this pops up. It's day 3, and it's the same it was yesterday. I have so much going for me in my life right now, and his is seriously taking over everything in my head. I'm about to move out of my aunts apartment and get my own place, for the first time, an d I'm super excited about that. But this fucking cyst is just taking over everything. I know it's not something that will go away over night, but does anyone know a realistic time frame for them to pass? I'm praying it goes away on its own and doesn't leave a mark or scar, or doesn't require a cortisone shot or anything intense. Right now, it's just a big red swollen bump on my cheek. It has nothing even close to a head. It's a hard lump with most of the shit under my skin. If this is something that just takes time to go away, is there anything I can use to reduce the redness? I've applied a warm washcloth to it for a total of about 30-45 now (10 min sessions) per my moms recommendation, and through a bunch of things I've read online. I have tea tree oil but I'm afraid to use it. Any other suggestions? Ice? I eat super healthy, almost too healthy, and I know this is either caused by stress because these past few days have been very very stressful.

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 11/19/2012 5:22 pm

This is what I'm dealing with

8F4D6CD7-28C8-4BDE-9E2F-6AB4E29A18DF-3893-00000401B9EDF7A6_zpsd06a3b0e.jpg

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 11/20/2012 12:39 am

My face was covered in these, both cheeks and temples and top forehead. Chromium magnesium and zinc saved my life, ice it down twice a day, sulfur ointment worked fastest for me to reduce inflammation and eventually kill em. Lookin at about a week or so depending on how you treat it good luck.

MemberMember
(@steamroom)

Posted : 11/20/2012 10:37 am

My acne went away, but I do get these painful cysts sometimes. Maybe once per month?

What I noticed really helps is icing. Believe it or not, I would suggest icing in the morning, afternoon, and at night for about 3 minutes. Eventually (sometimes even within a day), the bump will become painless but it will remain as a bump. However, that bump will start to "deflate" for lack of a better word. The good thing is that it won't become even more inflamed, fill up with fluid, and scar!

ICE ICE ICE! Don't overdo it though.

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 11/20/2012 2:43 pm

Just an update. I applied tea tree oil last night, and when I woke up, it was scabbed over. Its less red today. Its definitely hardening up, and the top is more of a rough scab. It also looks like the top of it might peel off. If this does happen, do I try and pop whats left in it? Or do I just leave it and let it keep going down?

MemberMember
(@steamroom)

Posted : 11/21/2012 10:44 pm

Just an update. I applied tea tree oil last night, and when I woke up, it was scabbed over. Its less red today. Its definitely hardening up, and the top is more of a rough scab. It also looks like the top of it might peel off. If this does happen, do I try and pop whats left in it? Or do I just leave it and let it keep going down?

Don't pop anything or you will develop permanent indents in your skin. Did you try icing? It really should help, you would be surprised.

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 11/21/2012 11:02 pm

Its getting more flat each day. Im not popping anything. Im leaving it alone like suggested. Each day its gets smaller and smaller and less red. Thank god. Definitely the worst pimple ive ever had in my life!

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 11/25/2012 2:24 am

My face was covered in these, both cheeks and temples and top forehead. Chromium magnesium and zinc saved my life, ice it down twice a day, sulfur ointment worked fastest for me to reduce inflammation and eventually kill em. Lookin at about a week or so depending on how you treat it good luck.

can you tell us the name of the sulfur product?

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 11/26/2012 6:46 am

Hi,I am new to this site and just saw the photo Murph 89 has posted,this is an exact example of what I suffered from,a clear complexion except for one huge spot,with the pus hidden deep down,when I suffered,I used to insert a pin deep down,the trick was finding the right pore opening,not easy,but if I was lucky and it was ripe,I would squeeze every 4 hours,it took approx 5 days of milking it,until the last drop would shoot out,suprisingly it never left any scars.

Usually all talk is about cure not prevention,yes there is the usual items about dairy products,wheat allergies etc.

To give you a brief background of my allergy,that gave me a huge spot/cyst every other week from the age of 15 until 25,it was a chemical used in food products, sauces and even in prescription tablets.

My weekly huge spot stopped making it's unwelcome appearance on my face when at the age of 25 I moved cities,hence no more mother's cooking,I lived on fried food,but remarkably the big/cystic spot never appeared any more,but on visits home it returned.

I had found my personal poison which I stopped consuming and have had a clear complexion for 30 years now,getting caught out once or twice a year,when I unwittingly eat a chemical that I was allergic to.

Now surely it's more than likely that a small % of you share the same allergy as me (I'm sure Murph does),as I don't claim to have found a prevention for every type of acne.

Your thoughts please.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 11/26/2012 11:34 am

My face was covered in these, both cheeks and temples and top forehead. Chromium magnesium and zinc saved my life, ice it down

twice a day, sulfur ointment worked fastest for

me to reduce inflammation and eventually kill

em. Lookin at about a week or so depending on

how you treat it good luck.

De la Cruz sulfur medication or ointment, it's on amazon around 5 bucks. This shit has saved my face.

MemberMember
(@hash14)

Posted : 01/31/2013 12:47 pm

This is the weirdest comment you'll ever receive but I have 4 of those on my face all in one area!! I don't have no ice in my house but would it be weird if I got something from the freezer and wrapped it up and out it on them??

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/31/2013 10:53 pm

Has anyone have a spot like this that lasts very long? I had it for over a month already and someone in a thread i created mentioned these things could take 2 months to go away or longer.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/31/2013 11:42 pm

Does anyone know what cream would work for it?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/01/2013 12:18 pm

what helps me is ibuprofen or aleve taken twice a day for a few days and then icing the cyst 2-3 times a day. i ice the cysts like for an hour though each time and it really helps but if they don't go away in like 2 weeks i get a cortisone shot. i have tried to wait some of them out and they don't go away. its so frustrating!

MemberMember
(@aze)

Posted : 02/01/2013 12:42 pm

"Eradikate" by Kate Sommerville. 22$ fora bottle at Sephora.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 02/01/2013 2:38 pm

"Eradikate" by Kate Sommerville. 22$ fora bottle at Sephora.

http://www.amazon.com/Kate-Somerville-EradiKate-Acne-Treatment/dp/B007QYUPQW/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_1

or

http://www.amazon.com/Kate-Somerville-EradiKate-Acne-Treatment/dp/B002MX1D68/ref=sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1359747416&sr=1-2&keywords=eradikate+acne+treatment

Is it in bottle or like a concealer?