Notifications
Clear all

Acne, Sadness, And Being Funny.

MemberMember
(@thommoth)

Posted : 11/19/2012 10:22 am

I'm 23, I've been a member on here for a couple of years now, and I have on and off moderate acne. This doesn't sound like I should really be that depressed, but I am. I've suffered with depression along side of my acne since being 17. They started at the same time, and they are definitely linked.

My acne came as a surprise to me, because no one in my family has ever suffered. I'm the youngest of 5, all of whom never get even the odd pimple, and I have parents, and grandparents who have never suffered.

Over the last two years my acne has gotten a lot better, but the depression hasn't and it's still triggered by the acne, even if I only get one new pimple, my mind will start telling me 'you have another new spot, this isn't going to end'.

I perform as a stand-up comedian and over the last couple of months my acne has been non-existant. I have a competition coming up (a week today). Two weeks ago I developed a pretty severe breakout on my forehead. The worst it's been in years. The depression has hit me hard.

It's becoming a real problem because I don't feel funny anymore. I don't feel I can even be funny, especially when all I want to do is cry.

The idea of being in front of at least 150 people, while I look like this, and having them judge me makes me feel physically sick.

I don't feel like I can ever succeed at the things I want to do unless this ends, and it feels like it never will.

Thank you for reading this. I needed to vent.

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 11/19/2012 10:52 am

I'm so sorry to hear about that, and you can definatley vent here =)

Don't breakouts happen at the worst of times? It's like, seriously couldn't they wait another week. :P

I have the same issue as well, my happiness a lot of the time depends on the condition of my skin, and I as well as you suffer from depression and bdd. so, I know how you feel with the endless pain and anxiety.

That's really cool though that you're a stand up comedian! I'm sure people can't see from that distance, if it doesn't go away, you could always apply just some foundation or coverup, if it makes you more confident.

If people say anything about your acne, just screw em. They're definatley not being funny if they're trying to make a joke out of it. and I bet you're really funny, and could make a joke out of them if you could :P

I wish you good luck though! You'll do great. =)

MemberMember
(@mariabo)

Posted : 11/19/2012 11:10 am

Just think about all the people in the audience who most likely also struggle with acne! You could definitely come up with jokes about it. Or just save them. Lots of comedians make fun of themselves and they also don't have perfect skin. I can think of a few famous faces right now and they have acne scars. It's going to be okay! THe best way to take control of how you feel is to make light of the issue. I know how you feel though, I really do. The anxiety and depression is the worst of it.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/19/2012 11:35 am

I agree with the other poster! I'd find a way to make a joke out of it. You know, put a bunch of red dot stickers on your head?? Or put something funny on. You know As much as my

Acne bothers me, I sometimes make a joke about myself to lighten the mood. Making obvious bumps people will just think their fake

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 11/19/2012 1:06 pm

I'm 23, I've been a member on here for a couple of years now, and I have on and off moderate acne. This doesn't sound like I should really be that depressed, but I am. I've suffered with depression along side of my acne since being 17. They started at the same time, and they are definitely linked.

My acne came as a surprise to me, because no one in my family has ever suffered. I'm the youngest of 5, all of whom never get even the odd pimple, and I have parents, and grandparents who have never suffered.

Over the last two years my acne has gotten a lot better, but the depression hasn't and it's still triggered by the acne, even if I only get one new pimple, my mind will start telling me 'you have another new spot, this isn't going to end'.

I perform as a stand-up comedian and over the last couple of months my acne has been non-existant. I have a competition coming up (a week today). Two weeks ago I developed a pretty severe breakout on my forehead. The worst it's been in years. The depression has hit me hard.

It's becoming a real problem because I don't feel funny anymore. I don't feel I can even be funny, especially when all I want to do is cry.

The idea of being in front of at least 150 people, while I look like this, and having them judge me makes me feel physically sick.

I don't feel like I can ever succeed at the things I want to do unless this ends, and it feels like it never will.

Thank you for reading this. I needed to vent.

I can totally empathise with you over the depression and acne. I had acne right throughout my teenage years and adult life. It has gotten better in the past few years and my skin is generally ok now but the psychological scarring means that I am always obsessing over my skin and even a spot or two can really affect my mood.

I know the thought of doing stand-up comedy in front of 150 people must be daunting. However, the people that are coming to see you will not be coming to see how much acne the comedian has got, they will be coming to have a laugh and be entertained. You have obviously managed to do stand-up comedy in the past so I am sure that you can do it again. My advice would be to just go for it and I`m sure you will be fine. The audience will remember you as a good comedian and won`t even care or remember if you had acne.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/22/2012 9:41 am

I like the idea of trying to make a joke of it. I do that sometimes about myself and, as long as it's not negative self-talk, it usually makes me feel a little better.

Sometimes I go to poetry readings and share stuff I wrote. Or I have presentations in college which require me to stand in front of lots of people - it's always nervewracking. I totally get the deflating confidence that comes of having a breakout and having to be in front of people. It's an uncomfortable spotlight to be in when you're not feeling good about how you look.