Notifications
Clear all

Taking Accutane When I'm Not Having Sex

MemberMember
(@gonecrazy)

Posted : 11/18/2012 7:39 am

I know if I'm sexually active, I have to be on birth control pills while I take accutane.

If I'm not going to be having sex for the periods of months I'm on accutane,

I wouldn't need to take birth control pills, right?

It's just that while my boyfriend was overseas, I didn't want to take birth control pills, so I stopped them,

and only took accutane..

I'll have no problems, right?

MemberMember
(@itsnoteasybeinggreen)

Posted : 11/18/2012 12:36 pm

The only problem will be if you get pregnant while taking Accutane. Accutane causes major birth defects and possible death to a baby. Not taking birth control with Accutane has no effect on your personal health except your hormones will be changing and adjusting for the first 3 months after stopping BC so it may take longer for the Accutane to clear your skin.

Also please remember if you change your mind and want to have sex, you need to be on birth control for at least 2-3 months before it starts working again. And some doctors say you should not have sex 2-3 months after stopping Accutane if your not on birth control because its still in your system.

MemberMember
(@faded12)

Posted : 11/18/2012 12:49 pm

It depends on your derm. My first derm insisted I be on bc or he would prescribe me accutane. I moved so I had to change derms and my new one acted like it was no big deal at all so I am currently on accutane without taking bc. How long will your boyfriend be overseas for? If it is longer than 6 months I think your derm will have no problem with listing your two forms of birthcontrol as "abstinence" and "none".

And to the person above me that said you need to be on bc for 2-3 months before it works....that is not true. You need to be on the pill for a full week before having unprotected sex. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@user74659)

Posted : 12/06/2012 3:07 pm

Just don't, don't chance it and have sex if your not using bc and a barrier method. My doc told me that if you get pregnant on accutane they recommend an abortion. i would rather pop the pill and use condoms for 6-8 months than have an abortion anyday! i know i'm not going to be able to be abstinent because i'm married and wouldn't want my hubby to go through that for that long. there are also alternatives to the pill for your primary form. They are: the hormonal shot, hormonal patch, under the skin implant, vaginal ring, and IUD. check the ipledge system. you never know what could happen and its always better to be safe than sorry...

MemberMember
(@faded12)

Posted : 12/06/2012 9:03 pm

Just don't, don't chance it and have sex if your not using bc and a barrier method. My doc told me that if you get pregnant on accutane they recommend an abortion. i would rather pop the pill and use condoms for 6-8 months than have an abortion anyday! i know i'm not going to be able to be abstinent because i'm married and wouldn't want my hubby to go through that for that long. there are also alternatives to the pill for your primary form. They are: the hormonal shot, hormonal patch, under the skin implant, vaginal ring, and IUD. check the ipledge system. you never know what could happen and its always better to be safe than sorry...

I've been abstaining since I started accutane but its been tough. Has your sex life changed since you started? I have heard some people say that it hurts to have sex on accutane?