Notifications
Clear all

Diet

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 11/17/2012 5:01 pm

For as long as I can remember, I have been totally obsessed with my diet and what impact it has on my skin. I avoid as much as possible the following:-

Dairy (apart from milk in an occasional cappucino once every few days).

Biscuits, sweets, cakes, chocolate.

Junk food - I rarely if ever eat takeaways.

Red meat.

Breakfast cereals (I always have porridge with water for breakfast).

Alcohol.

Soft drinks.

Bread.

Any pies, pastries.

Crisps and peanuts.

Any dressings or sauces.

A typical day`s diet for me would be the following:-

Breakfast

2 bowls of porridge oats made with water. An apple and banana.

Lunch

2 x chicken breasts with salad with no dressing. Fruit salad.

Dinner

2 jacket potatoes with no butter or filling, salmon/mackerel/trout fillet with no sauce, Broccoli, carrots and sweetcorn. More fruit for dessert.

Drinks

Water only (6 to 8 glasses). Maybe a tall cappucino from either Starbucks or a local independent coffee shop that is close to me.

I used to eat like this when my acne was really bad and even though I am relatively clear these days, I continue to eat like this. There is absolutely no scientific evidence behind my reasoning for doing this. I continue to do it however as I know that if I was to start eating chocolate for instance and developed a few spots, I would beat myself up for it.

Just wondered if anyone else is as obsessive about their diet and the effect that it may or may not have on their skin as I am?

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/17/2012 7:50 pm

For as long as I can remember, I have been totally obsessed with my diet and what impact it has on my skin. I avoid as much as possible the following:-

Dairy (apart from milk in an occasional cappucino once every few days).

Biscuits, sweets, cakes, chocolate.

Junk food - I rarely if ever eat takeaways.

Red meat.

Breakfast cereals (I always have porridge with water for breakfast).

Alcohol.

Soft drinks.

Bread.

Any pies, pastries.

Crisps and peanuts.

Any dressings or sauces.

A typical day`s diet for me would be the following:-

Breakfast

2 bowls of porridge oats made with water. An apple and banana.

Lunch

2 x chicken breasts with salad with no dressing. Fruit salad.

Dinner

2 jacket potatoes with no butter or filling, salmon/mackerel/trout fillet with no sauce, Broccoli, carrots and sweetcorn. More fruit for dessert.

Drinks

Water only (6 to 8 glasses). Maybe a tall cappucino from either Starbucks or a local independent coffee shop that is close to me.

I used to eat like this when my acne was really bad and even though I am relatively clear these days, I continue to eat like this. There is absolutely no scientific evidence behind my reasoning for doing this. I continue to do it however as I know that if I was to start eating chocolate for instance and developed a few spots, I would beat myself up for it.

Just wondered if anyone else is as obsessive about their diet and the effect that it may or may not have on their skin as I am?

I think a lot of us are the same way. I scare my family with how easily I give up food for the sake of acne lol. Holidays may be tough however...

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/17/2012 8:43 pm

I too am obsessed...I have tried elimination of almost anything/everything at various times in order to get clear. I realize though, the regimen of diet has to be followed for atleast 3 months to see any difference and I always get fed up because my diets are so restrictive and I can't find anything to eat in the real world unless I was confined to my kitchen and had unlimited food funds. Its very anxiety creating for me actually- to worry about my food so much. However, I do believe it has benefited my health. If I can sugest something for you- I'd cut out all the oats, as well. Gluten isn't good for anyone, regardless if you're intolerant or not. I'd switch to gluten free oats in the morning, if thats possible for ya.

MemberMember
(@tootsler)

Posted : 11/17/2012 9:27 pm

I need some breakfast recommendations. I tend to make smoothies, eat GF toast with Coconut mana, turkey bacon, eggs and sometimes oat bran which I agree, is not the best. I tend to eat a HUGE breakfast b/c I workout from 5:45-7am and I'm starved afterward. I'm really struggling with restrictive diet.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/18/2012 10:19 pm

I need some breakfast recommendations. I tend to make smoothies, eat GF toast with Coconut mana, turkey bacon, eggs and sometimes oat bran which I agree, is not the best. I tend to eat a HUGE breakfast b/c I workout from 5:45-7am and I'm starved afterward. I'm really struggling with restrictive diet.

You could add in some veggies to your breakfast, cooked spinach, mushrooms, onions, peppers. I buy gluten free baking flour and make up some pancakes with fruit in them and freeze a bunch to last me during the week, or make some GF french toast. Can get some gf whole grain oats and add some pumpkin and seasonings to it to make it less bland. I don't eat dairy, so I sometimes have coconut yogurt with fruit and nuts in it as well.