Notifications
Clear all

Can Lemon Juice Make Acne Scars Worse?

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 11/16/2012 3:16 pm

Ok so I just used lemon juice for the first time without diluting it and here is my experience: It actually stings and feels like its burning, It makes some areas of my skin red and I have left it on for 30 minutes until it dried. When it was getting close to drying, the burning stopped and I couldn't feel it anymore.

Should I keep using Lemon Juice even if it makes my skin red and Burn? Will it actually make my scars worse as I feel like it burns away the healing cells or something. I'm pretty sure it won't give me acne and that I can tolerate the burning if it's 100% beneficial. Should I still use it or stop?

Thanks in advance!

Long Story Short: My skin gets red and it feels like it burns when I use ONLY lemon Juice. Will it make my Scars actually worse if I continue? All I want is to get rid of the unevenness and red spots but if Lemon juice back tracks my healing process/ delays, then I will stop using it.

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 11/19/2012 8:34 pm

Can anyone help? Could lemon juice harm the skin if makes the skin burn a little and red a bit and applied over time?

MemberMember
(@davidlane)

Posted : 11/19/2012 8:37 pm

I do not think that it will harm the skin or "make the scars deeper" if it burns or makes the skin red. Though I believe it is making your skin more sensitive if you continue to use it this way.

If it burns and makes the skin red. My suggestion is that you mix it with other natural products such as honey, aloe vera, or plain yogurt. Get creative! :)

MemberMember
(@carlyisapirategmail-com)

Posted : 11/22/2012 2:22 am

I was on an intense lemon-juice regimen about four months ago, and it did not make my skin worse. I mainly used it to lighten red spots left behind from zits. I don't believe that it can harm the skin, although it does make it increasingly more sensitive to sunlight. And yes, it could dry out the skin and/or give it a bit of a burning sensation. For those two reasons, I would suggest a moisturizer with sunscreen added to it.

I hope it all works out for you!

(Also, I agree with the comment above: mixing it with any of those three things, could lessen the intensity of the lemon!)

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 11/22/2012 8:37 pm

I do not think that it will harm the skin or "make the scars deeper" if it burns or makes the skin red. Though I believe it is making your skin more sensitive if you continue to use it this way.

If it burns and makes the skin red. My suggestion is that you mix it with other natural products such as honey, aloe vera, or plain yogurt. Get creative! smile.png

Thanks so much, I think I will mix it with honey and plain yogurt since I have both of these at home. Thanks for the reply.

I was on an intense lemon-juice regimen about four months ago, and it did not make my skin worse. I mainly used it to lighten red spots left behind from zits. I don't believe that it can harm the skin, although it does make it increasingly more sensitive to sunlight. And yes, it could dry out the skin and/or give it a bit of a burning sensation. For those two reasons, I would suggest a moisturizer with sunscreen added to it.

I hope it all works out for you!

(Also, I agree with the comment above: mixing it with any of those three things, could lessen the intensity of the lemon!)

Thanks! I have a question though, did you purely use lemon juice without mixing anything and did it make your skin red and burn a bit? How well and long did it clear up your red marks and how old were your red marks? Also, if I avoid the sun, will that be ok instead of putting on sunscreen (No sun light will ever hit my face. If so, it will only be a second or two)? It's almost winter and there is less sun anyways!

MemberMember
(@audreyjade)

Posted : 11/22/2012 9:07 pm

I have pretty bad hyperpigmentation on my cheeks from a bad breakout over a year ago. The marks have faded significantly because of 3 things: 1) time 2) raw honey and turmeric and 3) because I wear spf every single day. I've only used lemon a couple of times topically. I like drinking lemon juice squeezed into room temperature water in the morning. It's supposed to be cleansing. Good luck fighting those marks! I feel your pain.

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 11/23/2012 12:24 am

I have pretty bad hyperpigmentation on my cheeks from a bad breakout over a year ago. The marks have faded significantly because of 3 things: 1) time 2) raw honey and turmeric and 3) because I wear spf every single day. I've only used lemon a couple of times topically. I like drinking lemon juice squeezed into room temperature water in the morning. It's supposed to be cleansing. Good luck fighting those marks! I feel your pain.

How much improvement did the tumeric and raw honey do for your skin and for how long did you use it until you saw a difference? I know that UVrays can cause hyperpigmentation to last longer but how about for the physical scars? I have a bit of scarring (that look like large pores) besides the red spots.

MemberMember
(@carlyisapirategmail-com)

Posted : 11/23/2012 1:36 am

Most of the time, yes, I used pure lemon juice. A couple of times, I tried it with honey, but for some reason, I didn't do it enough to see results (these things do take quite some time).

My red marks were at least a couple of months old, and with a consistent regimen, lemon juice began to lighten them in about two weeks or so. I would imagine that with a consistent regimen, it would still take a few months for a huge difference.

I'm sure that avoiding the sun would suffice, but there are many non-comedogenic products on the market today that you could try out for yourself! :)

In the end, I like the idea of lemon juice because it's natural, and essentially, you're not putting chemicals onto your face. I think the most important thing is to keep it moisturized and avoid too much sun.

I wish you the best! :)

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 11/24/2012 12:13 pm

Most of the time, yes, I used pure lemon juice. A couple of times, I tried it with honey, but for some reason, I didn't do it enough to see results (these things do take quite some time).

My red marks were at least a couple of months old, and with a consistent regimen, lemon juice began to lighten them in about two weeks or so. I would imagine that with a consistent regimen, it would still take a few months for a huge difference.

I'm sure that avoiding the sun would suffice, but there are many non-comedogenic products on the market today that you could try out for yourself! smile.png

In the end, I like the idea of lemon juice because it's natural, and essentially, you're not putting chemicals onto your face. I think the most important thing is to keep it moisturized and avoid too much sun.

I wish you the best! smile.png

Thanks! Also, you mentioned in your original post about using Turmeric. How well did Turmeric work out for you? Which would you say that really made a difference in your skin healing: Turmeric or Lemon Juice?

MemberMember
(@audreyjade)

Posted : 11/24/2012 9:15 pm

How much improvement did the tumeric and raw honey do for your skin and for how long did you use it until you saw a difference? I know that UVrays can cause hyperpigmentation to last longer but how about for the physical scars? I have a bit of scarring (that look like large pores) besides the red spots.

Well, at this time last year (roughly) my hyperpigmentation was VERY red. I would say those same spots are now light pink. Of course, I have new ones, but the old ones are light pink. I have also used other things besides the turmeric and honey masks. I use Paula's Choice extra strength acne toner and for awhile I was using an oxygenated face mask from BeautiControl. I still have not found a miracle product for red spots. Time, patience and SPF are the best, honestly.

As far as I know, UV rays have no affect on indented scarring.

MemberMember
(@evelyne)

Posted : 11/27/2012 7:41 am

Hi!

I would suggest you dilute the lemon juice first. I do mine 3 parts lemon to 1 part water but maybe you can start with equal amounts of each and slowly increase the intensity from there.

I've been using lemon juice for about 2 months now every night and it has really sped up my healing process and helps slough off dead cells. Plus I've read somewhere that it creates an environment that is not good for bacteria so lemon juice is also antibacterial.

For me, I use a cotton pad to apply the lemon juice all over my cleansed face after I bathe at night, gently applying pressure on problem areas to allow the skin to absorb more of the juice. Then I just leave to dry and don't remove till the next morning when I cleanse my face. I think it's pretty normal for your face to turn red and itch. It happens to me too but after about an hour or less (usually), the redness on my face actually reduces and the texture even became better!

After 2 months of consistent use, my breakouts reduced tremendously and the marks I got from a pretty bad breakout is much reduced. Perhaps it could be partly due to my hormones finally calming down (I'm 18) but I do think using lemon juice was really helpful too! (:

BUT that's my personal experience so hopefully it works as well for you!

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 11/30/2012 9:54 pm

Hi!

I would suggest you dilute the lemon juice first. I do mine 3 parts lemon to 1 part water but maybe you can start with equal amounts of each and slowly increase the intensity from there.

I've been using lemon juice for about 2 months now every night and it has really sped up my healing process and helps slough off dead cells. Plus I've read somewhere that it creates an environment that is not good for bacteria so lemon juice is also antibacterial.

For me, I use a cotton pad to apply the lemon juice all over my cleansed face after I bathe at night, gently applying pressure on problem areas to allow the skin to absorb more of the juice. Then I just leave to dry and don't remove till the next morning when I cleanse my face. I think it's pretty normal for your face to turn red and itch. It happens to me too but after about an hour or less (usually), the redness on my face actually reduces and the texture even became better!

After 2 months of consistent use, my breakouts reduced tremendously and the marks I got from a pretty bad breakout is much reduced. Perhaps it could be partly due to my hormones finally calming down (I'm 18) but I do think using lemon juice was really helpful too! (:

Thanks for that warm reply! I have a question, did using the lemon juice at first make your skin feel like it stings/ burns a little? Cause people had told me things like, "stop using it!", "Your skin is irritated!" and all that which makes me think that it's not so much a good idea. Right now I'm doing a mixture of lemon juice, plain yogurt, and honey and leave it on for 2 hours every night. It does seem to be working as the marks appear "lighter" Though I plan to try purely lemon juice again once the yogurt bottle runs out. I don't get much acne on my skin anymore so I'm willing to withstand the the bit of burning and stinging and redness if in the end it will really be the quickest and most effective method.

MemberMember
(@evelyne)

Posted : 11/30/2012 11:21 pm

Hi!

Thanks for that warm reply! I have a question, did using the lemon juice at first make your skin feel like it stings/ burns a little? Cause people had told me things like, "stop using it!", "Your skin is irritated!" and all that which makes me think that it's not so much a good idea. Right now I'm doing a mixture of lemon juice, plain yogurt, and honey and leave it on for 2 hours every night. It does seem to be working as the marks appear "lighter" Though I plan to try purely lemon juice again once the yogurt bottle runs out. I don't get much acne on my skin anymore so I'm willing to withstand the the bit of burning and stinging and redness if in the end it will really be the quickest and most effective method.

Yeap I do experience stinging, sometimes with some reddening of skin as well. But it definitely does NOT cause pain, more like an itch which I find unsurprising since it is acidic after all. For me, this itch/stinging (when I have open skin ie popped a pimple or accidentally scratched myself) subsides completely after about half an hour. If you feel pain or prolonged itchness, i wouldn't suggest using it pure just to be safe and not potentially aggravate your skin. For your case, does the redness last for long? If your skin doesn't seem to be reacting badly to it, I think you can go ahead and try just lemon juice but make sure you start from lower concentrations. Also, mixing yoghurt and honey sounds like a good idea! I also incorporate honey into my daily regimen at night. After I apply lemon juice and let it dry, I spot treat with diluted tea tree oil and gently massage some honey all over my face. Just enough to form a thin, almost invisible layer because I don't want to stain my pillow! I do dab a little more honey on my dark marks/pimples though and together with the lemon juice, this seems like a great natural overnight mask that my skin likes an has helped me even out my skin texture. (:

And you gotta keep in mind that acne treatments, especially for acne marks do take a long time to see significant results because they are really hard to fade. Give it a few weeks to a couple of months before you decide whether or not it's working for you! Also, if you find your skin adjusting to lemon juice, you might want to eventually just leave it on overnight. Well, at least that works for me! (:

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 12/01/2012 2:57 pm

Hi!

Yeap I do experience stinging, sometimes with some reddening of skin as well. But it definitely does NOT cause pain, more like an itch which I find unsurprising since it is acidic after all. For me, this itch/stinging (when I have open skin ie popped a pimple or accidentally scratched myself) subsides completely after about half an hour. If you feel pain or prolonged itchness, i wouldn't suggest using it pure just to be safe and not potentially aggravate your skin. For your case, does the redness last for long? If your skin doesn't seem to be reacting badly to it, I think you can go ahead and try just lemon juice but make sure you start from lower concentrations. Also, mixing yoghurt and honey sounds like a good idea! I also incorporate honey into my daily regimen at night. After I apply lemon juice and let it dry, I spot treat with diluted tea tree oil and gently massage some honey all over my face. Just enough to form a thin, almost invisible layer because I don't want to stain my pillow! I do dab a little more honey on my dark marks/pimples though and together with the lemon juice, this seems like a great natural overnight mask that my skin likes an has helped me even out my skin texture. (:

And you gotta keep in mind that acne treatments, especially for acne marks do take a long time to see significant results because they are really hard to fade. Give it a few weeks to a couple of months before you decide whether or not it's working for you! Also, if you find your skin adjusting to lemon juice, you might want to eventually just leave it on overnight. Well, at least that works for me! (:

Once again, thanks for a very informative reply! Though, I do have a few questions. ( I always have a few questions haha) How was your skin like, as in, did you have a few physical scars such as small pitted ones? Or did you have only dark spots? Did the lemon juice help fade the physical small pitted ones if you had any? I'm wondering because I have a bit of light pitted scars in the area near the nose on both sides that are usually a bit pinker then my normal skin tone. ( I guess it is still in the healing process) Even though my red spots are part of the issue, it's actually the small pitted ones that are mostly annoying. I used to think, maybe it is genetics and that it isn't scarring from the acne in those areas that have a bit larger looking pores but then again it is hard to believe that since I used to get a lot of acne there. They aren't deep, they just look like "stretched pores". The best visual way I can describe them would be like a strawberry but not as severe as a strawberry. I know everyone is different but I want to compare if you had these kind of "scars" or if you only had the dark marks. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@evelyne)

Posted : 12/01/2012 10:40 pm

Hi!

Once again, thanks for a very informative reply! Though, I do have a few questions. ( I always have a few questions haha) How was your skin like, as in, did you have a few physical scars such as small pitted ones? Or did you have only dark spots? Did the lemon juice help fade the physical small pitted ones if you had any? I'm wondering because I have a bit of light pitted scars in the area near the nose on both sides that are usually a bit pinker then my normal skin tone. ( I guess it is still in the healing process) Even though my red spots are part of the issue, it's actually the small pitted ones that are mostly annoying. I used to think, maybe it is genetics and that it isn't scarring from the acne in those areas that have a bit larger looking pores but then again it is hard to believe that since I used to get a lot of acne there. They aren't deep, they just look like "stretched pores". The best visual way I can describe them would be like a strawberry but not as severe as a strawberry. I know everyone is different but I want to compare if you had these kind of "scars" or if you only had the dark marks. Thanks!

Haha don't worry, I always have questions too! I have both pitted scars as well as dark/red marks. Mainly because I've been sorta a picker and I've had acne since I was thirteen... But thankfully my pitted scars are rather small not too many of them. My main problems are my marks, which makes my skin look waaay worse than it actually is, and the fact that my skin seems to have lost some of its elasticity because well, I haven't been very kind to my skin over the years because of my picking habit. Though I'm trying really hard to stop it now! From what you described, it does sound like I have the similar problem as you do haha. Lemon juice helped to smoothen the texture and even out my skin tone, though I wouldn't say it's a miracle cure because my skin still appears uneven. Especially for scars because I highly doubt lemon juice is strong/effective enough to heal scars. Marks, probably but scarring, you might want to check out the scar treatment boards as some may suggest chemical peels etc which range from mild to harsh. I'm not too sure about these treatments so I don't want to mislead you or anything! However, I'm already pretty happy with how my skin is now considering the mess it's been for so long. I still have some scars but they appear more like stretched pores,as you said. Also, my marks have faded quite decently and are now pinkish/greyish. So in general, my skin looks much clearer I guess. Sometimes I get bad skin days - enlarged pores, dry skin (heck my skin's supposed to be oily!) and minor breakouts which makes my skin look so old and horribly-textured but I try to think positive as much as I can! Anyway, I think I digressed. Essentially, I'm saying that lemon juice helped, along with a combination of other things like tea tree oil, to brighten up my skin and generally improved the texture, though it is unlikely to give significant results for scarring. For that, you might want to consider other treatments if you really think you need it, though from what you said I don't think it should be too bad! (:

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 12/02/2012 6:19 pm

Hi!

Haha don't worry, I always have questions too! I have both pitted scars as well as dark/red marks. Mainly because I've been sorta a picker and I've had acne since I was thirteen... But thankfully my pitted scars are rather small not too many of them. My main problems are my marks, which makes my skin look waaay worse than it actually is, and the fact that my skin seems to have lost some of its elasticity because well, I haven't been very kind to my skin over the years because of my picking habit. Though I'm trying really hard to stop it now! From what you described, it does sound like I have the similar problem as you do haha. Lemon juice helped to smoothen the texture and even out my skin tone, though I wouldn't say it's a miracle cure because my skin still appears uneven. Especially for scars because I highly doubt lemon juice is strong/effective enough to heal scars. Marks, probably but scarring, you might want to check out the scar treatment boards as some may suggest chemical peels etc which range from mild to harsh. I'm not too sure about these treatments so I don't want to mislead you or anything! However, I'm already pretty happy with how my skin is now considering the mess it's been for so long. I still have some scars but they appear more like stretched pores,as you said. Also, my marks have faded quite decently and are now pinkish/greyish. So in general, my skin looks much clearer I guess. Sometimes I get bad skin days - enlarged pores, dry skin (heck my skin's supposed to be oily!) and minor breakouts which makes my skin look so old and horribly-textured but I try to think positive as much as I can! Anyway, I think I digressed. Essentially, I'm saying that lemon juice helped, along with a combination of other things like tea tree oil, to brighten up my skin and generally improved the texture, though it is unlikely to give significant results for scarring. For that, you might want to consider other treatments if you really think you need it, though from what you said I don't think it should be too bad! (:

Yeah I totally agree that marks do make the skin appear a lot worse then it actually is. Would you say your minor pitted scars have improved over time? Like become less shallow? Also, when you apply lemon juice + water, isn't it a bit too liquidy? Like it would just drip down your face correct? How do you go about dealing with the dripping haha because since I add yogurt to it, it becomes a bit thick and I know there is a good amount on my skin that stays there. Oh and lastly' what is the texture of tee tree oil like? Is it like vitamin e oil or more liquidy because if I can remember, vitamin e oil is very thick and actually hard to wash off (like you would need to rub it instead of just rinsing). Thanks!

MemberMember
(@evelyne)

Posted : 12/02/2012 8:03 pm

Hi!

Yeah I totally agree that marks do make the skin appear a lot worse then it actually is. Would you say your minor pitted scars have improved over time? Like become less shallow? Also, when you apply lemon juice + water, isn't it a bit too liquidy? Like it would just drip down your face correct? How do you go about dealing with the dripping haha because since I add yogurt to it, it becomes a bit thick and I know there is a good amount on my skin that stays there. Oh and lastly' what is the texture of tee tree oil like? Is it like vitamin e oil or more liquidy because if I can remember, vitamin e oil is very thick and actually hard to wash off (like you would need to rub it instead of just rinsing). Thanks!

Mhm I would say that initially when the scars formed and/or scabbed, using lemon juice did help make it less obvious but I think it was mostly because it reduced the redness. After the scar/scab had healed completely however, I don't think I saw the scars reducing in depth, but a good thing is that they're kept 'clean'.

For the application, I apply it like I would a toner. But instead of just sweeping it across my face, I would also soak up some lemon juice onto the cotton pad a place it on my problem areas and apply gentle pressure for about 30 seconds to get my skin to absorb more of the lemon juice. It's up to you, really, how you want to apply it but I think a thin layer would definitely be enough. There's no need to treat it as a mask because it'll simply dribble down your face. xD

The tea tree oil I use is from the body shop. Those little green bottles that are quite pricey but can last a while. It smells a little bad sometimes but generally it okay! It absorbs well and easily to wash off with regular facial wash. (: