Notifications
Clear all

Gentle Oil-Free Face Wash In The Uk ?

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 11/16/2012 10:05 am

Hi guys,

For so many years I have been trying to find a gentle face wash that does not have any of the harsh ingredients that are classified as irritating/pore clogging but still could not find one that passes the test.

I tried most of the ones available in the UK including Neutrogena, Simple, Avene, Oxy, Clearsil, Boots simply sensitive and even ordered a few from the US including Purpose gentle cleanser and Cetaphil.

Almost all of the ones I have tried contain at least one offending ingredient. The most common ingredient is SLS and/or Sodium Chloride.

My question is have any of you guys found a gentle cleanser for oil/dry combination but yet sensitive skin that is guaranteed not to clog pores or irritate the skin? Ideally, I am looking for plain gentle cleanser.

I checked almost all the ones on the shelves or SuperDrug store and Boots but still could not find a suitable one.

Thanks for any help.

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 11/23/2012 5:31 pm

Anyone?

MemberMember
(@woods_teresa2hotmail-com)

Posted : 11/23/2012 6:23 pm

Dermalogica cleansers? I used them before they were great, they do loads of different types and really mega gentle ones too. Now using cetaphil though as its cheaper,

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/25/2012 11:47 am

Anne French Deep cleansing milk. Very old school, unfortunately it has fragrance, but it's a great cleanser for sensitive skin. You can find it in the chemists, Superdrug or Boots occasionally stocks it. It's usually costs between 2-4 depending on the shop.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/25/2012 10:28 pm

Why not just buy a glycerin soap bar?

MemberMember
(@donski)

Posted : 11/26/2012 6:30 am

I've been using Nivea for men face wash: http://www.boots.com...ELAID=366038933 It's been really good, leaves your skin feeling comfortable and smooth and has given me no flare ups... I also use the sensitive after shave balm which feels lovely after a shave and hasnt given me any problems, worth a try.

Don

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 12/02/2012 1:32 pm

I've been using La Roche Posay purifying foaming gel cleanser ph 5.5 for oily sensitive skin. Apparently it is hypoallergenic, non comedogenic and tested on acne prone skin. I've just had a look at the ingredients though and it includes sodium laureth sulfate and sodium chloride. I don't know much about ingredients but if all these cleansers which are supposed to be non comedogenic have them maybe they aren't so bad?

MemberMember
(@crichel)

Posted : 12/04/2012 2:31 pm

I used to love the clean and clear truly gentle cleanser, but since that's been discontinued I use the simple refreshing facial wash gel, cheap and available in boots.

hobojojo liked
MemberMember
(@freddyharte)

Posted : 12/18/2012 2:38 pm

anyone else got any recommendations for cleansers available in the UK?

thinking of trying Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser from Boots.

hobojojo liked
MemberMember
(@italiangeek)

Posted : 12/31/2012 7:25 pm

anyone else got any recommendations for cleansers available in the UK?

thinking of trying Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser from Boots.

I tried this and it absolutely stripped my skin. Obviously, may be suitable for you but it was wayyy too harsh for me.

Dermalogica cleansers? I used them before they were great, they do loads of different types and really mega gentle ones too. Now using cetaphil though as its cheaper,

I would suggest Dermalogica. I've used the Special Cleansing Gel for over a year now and it works wonders at keeping my skin at bay. No scent, and its not creamy. Its about 20 for a small bottle, but you can normally find them pretty cheap off ebay.

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 01/08/2013 10:18 am

I dont understand the fixation on finding a non comedogenic face wash? Moisturizers yeah, but for something that you rinse off your skin straight away i dont really see it getting in your pores?

Anyway i really recommend Simple Oil Balancing Exfoliating Wash, it sounds really stripping but trust me it is THE most gentle wash I have ever used. Dont be put off by the exfoliating beads there's about 5 in the whole bottle (and you get a lot of product for your money, 4.29 for 150 ml and you dont need to use much).

MemberMember
(@lfreyn)

Posted : 01/09/2013 7:55 pm

Anne French Deep cleansing milk. Very old school, unfortunately it has fragrance, but it's a great cleanser for sensitive skin. You can find it in the chemists, Superdrug or Boots occasionally stocks it. It's usually costs between 2-4 depending on the shop.

Eek, I checked that out after my nan suggested it (haha, yeah old school), it has a high level of formaldehyde/formalin/formal saline in it which is ridiculously irritating to tissues, a corrosive and a known carcinogen - like an actual one, not some random thing that people occassionally freak out about. Really wouldn't recommend that stuff :S

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

I'm currently using La Roche Posay Physiological Cleansing Gel, which I really like. It's like half way between Cetaphil and Dermalogica Ultracalming Cleanser, except it doesn't leave the slightly greasy residue I find Cetaphil leaves, and it cleans better and is more economical than the Dermalogica, which I find you have to use lots of. Doesn't make my skin tight after using like Simple Refreshing cleanser does, and I like that it doesn't foam. Lasts ages too.

MemberMember
(@aliciagx)

Posted : 01/10/2013 12:01 pm

You should really try benefit, its all natural ingrediants. Its 15 pound i think, iv being on it for 2 week now and it has really helped. It may be abit more expensive than the ones on the shelves but its worth it. I have sensative skin and anything irritates me, but this is perfect.

MemberMember
(@manticore)

Posted : 01/11/2013 7:31 am

My first face wash was from acne.org. When this ran out, I looked for a cheaper alternative that was freely available in the UK.

The first non-comedogenic wash I found was Olay Essentials refreshing face wash. That was over 3 years ago, & I've been using it ever since.

It is usually around 3 for 150ml, but is on offer in Wilkinsons at the moment for just 1.41.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 01/14/2013 3:07 pm

Eek, I checked that out after my nan suggested it (haha, yeah old school), it has a high level of formaldehyde/formalin/formal saline in it which is ridiculously irritating to tissues, a corrosive and a known carcinogen - like an actual one, not some random thing that people occassionally freak out about. Really wouldn't recommend that stuff :S

http://en.m.wikipedi...ki/Formaldehyde

I'm currently using La Roche Posay Physiological Cleansing Gel, which I really like. It's like half way between Cetaphil and Dermalogica Ultracalming Cleanser, except it doesn't leave the slightly greasy residue I find Cetaphil leaves, and it cleans better and is more economical than the Dermalogica, which I find you have to use lots of. Doesn't make my skin tight after using like Simple Refreshing cleanser does, and I like that it doesn't foam. Lasts ages too.

yes, 50 years ago it did contain formaldehyde. It has been reformulated since and the ingredients are:

Aqua, Paraffinum, Liquidum, PEG-2 Laurate, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Benzyl Alcohol, Citral, Eugenol, Geraniol, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene.

Formaldehyde has not been used in beauty products for decades, apart from nail polish, but now even that doesn't have any at all

MemberMember
(@tricky)

Posted : 01/14/2013 5:59 pm

@ eg6947

Am thinking about purchasing one of these... not sure which yet, but you may be interested in giving one a try. Let me know if you do.

Both are all natural, hypoallergenic and said to be ph neutral and will not strip your skins natural layers.

http://www.handmaden...tion=full&id=58

http://www.natorigin...er-NAT0561.html

MemberMember
(@hobojojo)

Posted : 05/05/2013 7:29 am

I used to love the clean and clear truly gentle cleanser, but since that's been discontinued I use the simple refreshing facial wash gel, cheap and available in boots

Clean and Clear Truly Gentle is still available in Tesco, I bought it today. It is great at not drying the skin. The Clean and Clear website still lists is as a product too.

I did not know Boots stocked cetaphil in the UK.

A glycerin bar? Is this like the bars suggested in the store regimen alternatives? I would have thought they would have a lots of soap/palmate. I'm still looking for UK neutrogena bars to try (the fragrance free ones - some larger boots might have them). The neutrogena extra gentle facial wash is on ebay if you want it in the UK to try, as it is quite an expensive alternative I'm trying easily sourced UK ones first

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 08/20/2013 12:22 pm

Just wanted to mention today I saw in Home Bargains something called Nuage Sensitive Face wash - i checked the ingredients and nothing stood out to me, it was pretty similar to the acne.org cleanser at a glance, and most importantly it was PH Balanced and fragrance free. Oh, and its only 89p :) Definitely worth a look at