Notifications
Clear all

Is The Caveman Regimen Good For Dry Skin With Mild Acne?

MemberMember
(@dantheman123)

Posted : 11/15/2012 11:53 pm

I have dry sensitive skin with mild acne. The pimples are small and die quite quickly but the red marks do last a few weeks because my skin is so sensitive/dry so it doesn't heal as fast as it should right now. I decided to turn my lifestyle around. I've spent the last couple of years eating poorly, hardly exercising, not sleeping much, and being VERY stressed about my skin every day. I'm very excited about finally being healthy and freeing myself from this mental prison I've been in. It helps that my skin is better than it's been in two years, but it's still very dry and sensitive and I'd like to do everything I can to make it as healthy as possible.

I've got all the internal health stuff figured out, but I'm very confused as to what I should do from the outside. The idea of using no products, and not even washing my face at all, really terrifies me, as I've been constantly using things on my face for over 2 years now. I stopped using medications at the start of 2012 since the medications were what made my skin extra fragile (in addition to my poor health) but as soon as I stopped using those I started using natural products (aloe vera and emu oil).

I'm sure if I start the caveman there'll be a big adjustment period. My skin is very prone to flakiness right now and if I start the caveman I'm guessing my skin will build up a lot of flakiness, but someone said that was actually a good thing as it indicated healing. I'm very torn, I'm not sure if I should start the caveman and let nature do it's work or if I should continue my regimen to give my skin as much added moisture as I can. It's tough cause I know aloe vera and emu oil are good for the skin but I'm worried that constantly washing my face and applying oils to it is throwing off the balance and making it more dry/sensitive.

Sorry for the long post but I tend to ramble when I get anxious about making a major decision like this. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and respond to this! :)

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 11/16/2012 1:38 am

Nope. Dry skin is a nutritional deficiency. You're not getting enough of your EFA's, and by the rare chance you actually are supplementing your omega's 3's/6's you may not be absorbing them. Start taking 6-12 tablespoons of EFA's. Also start using digestive enzymes with lipase every time you eat a meal with EFA's; will help with EFA absorption.

MemberMember
(@dantheman123)

Posted : 11/16/2012 11:08 am

Nope. Dry skin is a nutritional deficiency. You're not getting enough of your EFA's, and by the rare chance you actually are supplementing your omega's 3's/6's you may not be absorbing them. Start taking 6-12 tablespoons of EFA's. Also start using digestive enzymes with lipase every time you eat a meal with EFA's; will help with EFA absorption.

Okay thanks. I actually just got this amazing fermented cod liver oil supplement in the mail this week, and I ordered a flax oil supplement to go with it so I should be great for omega's once those take effect. What are EFA's, and how do you take them?

MemberMember
(@matt-f)

Posted : 11/17/2012 1:43 pm

What are EFA's, and how do you take them?

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/fats/what-are-essential-fatty-acids.html

MemberMember
(@anb1998)

Posted : 11/19/2012 11:22 pm

I think you should at least try the caveman. The oils you are using right now are confusing your body. It is thinking it has enough moisture so it isn't purducibg it's own moisture while the oils just moisturize the outer layers. That is what is causing the flakiness. It takes about a month to adjust to the caveman. I really think you should stop messing with your skin and let it heal itself. Besides the oils you. Are using dont match your skins ph which whacks up your skin

MemberMember
(@dantheman123)

Posted : 11/24/2012 1:48 am

I think you should at least try the caveman. The oils you are using right now are confusing your body. It is thinking it has enough moisture so it isn't purducibg it's own moisture while the oils just moisturize the outer layers. That is what is causing the flakiness. It takes about a month to adjust to the caveman. I really think you should stop messing with your skin and let it heal itself. Besides the oils you. Are using dont match your skins ph which whacks up your skin

I just saw your post now, but thank you that is helpful. It's frustrating because my skin has certainly improved on the surface, but the sensitivity is a real issue and I'm not sure that what I'm doing now is right for the recovery of my skin. For example, this evening it's about 0 degrees Celsius outside, and just going outside in that temperature for like 20 minutes makes my face get really red and raw.

I'm pretty nervous about trying the caveman, but I guess if I'm as healthy as possible and supporting my skin internally that things should recover, even if it does take a year. I just have that gut feeling that what I'm doing now isn't really helping.

is it best to do the full caveman where you don't wash at all, or to wash one every few days with distilled water?

MemberMember
(@anb1998)

Posted : 11/25/2012 7:41 pm

I just saw your post now, but thank you that is helpful. It's frustrating because my skin has certainly improved on the surface, but the sensitivity is a real issue and I'm not sure that what I'm doing now is right for the recovery of my skin. For example, this evening it's about 0 degrees Celsius outside, and just going outside in that temperature for like 20 minutes makes my face get really red and raw.

I'm pretty nervous about trying the caveman, but I guess if I'm as healthy as possible and supporting my skin internally that things should recover, even if it does take a year. I just have that gut feeling that what I'm doing now isn't really helping.

is it best to do the full caveman where you don't wash at all, or to wash one every few days with distilled water?

I'm doing the full caveman. I think it works faster that way because you don't mess up the acid mantle by using water.