Notifications
Clear all

What To Do After Accutane

MemberMember
(@dukebluedevils)

Posted : 11/15/2012 5:07 am

If Accutane did nothing for you what else is there? I was on it 6 months and it didn't work at all. At no point during the treatment did it work. I had my hopes up high that Accutane would solve my acne problem forever but of course it didn't for me. it's now 5 months later and I'm just inclined to think now that this shit is here forever. I get new pimples every...single...day. It never ends. I'm currently doing nothing for my acne (have been since I ended Accutane). Just washing my face off in the morning and when I take a shower. I've tried literally every medicine out there. Went to a dermatologist for 2 years, tried all his products he gave me, and nothing worked of course. Every pill, every cream, etc.

As my name reads I'm just ready for the world to end Dec. 21 so I can be through with this forever. Kind of sad I want the world to end just so I can be away from this acne shit forever.

MemberMember
(@avenger)

Posted : 11/15/2012 6:22 am

What was your dose on Accutane?

It could be likely that the root cause of your acne problem isn't due to highly over-active sebaceous glands (hormonal), but could be stress or diet related (or both).

It could also be that Accutane works at different stages for different people - some people need a high dose for a long period of time where as others only need a small dose for a short period of time. Some acne is more stubborn than others.

If you say none of the creams worked - how consistent were you with using them? Some people have a tendency to be lazy every once in a while and then blame the creams by saying they never worked. I'm not implying that this is you of course.

What is your skincare routine like? What cleansers, treatment and moisturiser do you use? Do you do this twice a day?

What is your acne severity like?

Avenger.

MemberMember
(@dukebluedevils)

Posted : 11/16/2012 7:42 am

What was your dose on Accutane?

It could be likely that the root cause of your acne problem isn't due to highly over-active sebaceous glands (hormonal), but could be stress or diet related (or both).

It could also be that Accutane works at different stages for different people - some people need a high dose for a long period of time where as others only need a small dose for a short period of time. Some acne is more stubborn than others.

If you say none of the creams worked - how consistent were you with using them? Some people have a tendency to be lazy every once in a while and then blame the creams by saying they never worked. I'm not implying that this is you of course.

What is your skincare routine like? What cleansers, treatment and moisturiser do you use? Do you do this twice a day?

What is your acne severity like?

Avenger.

40 mg.

I've tried in the past to control my stress and it had no effect. Same thing with diet. Went on a legit diet for an entire month, changed what I ate AND drank ... didn't work. Still got the same shit I got when I was eating and drinking whatever I wanted.

All the creams (and pills) I've taken and have been subscribed I took religiously. I would not miss a dose no matter what. I did them the exact way the doctor told me to do it also.

I don't do anything now. Just wash my face off twice a day - when I wake up and when I shower. That's it. I mean what else is there to do/use after Accutane? If Accutane didn't work you're pretty much screwed basically.

My acne is moderate.

MemberMember
(@rawhide)

Posted : 11/17/2012 3:20 pm

Sorry to hear. Have you tried high-dose zinc? It gave me dramatic improvement couple years ago and kept me close to clear most of year 2010. 90-150mg dose, as it has been successfully used in trials for acne treatment. Doesn't cost much so why not give it a shot?

MemberMember
(@johnny199r)

Posted : 11/17/2012 3:50 pm

I'm in the same boat as you. Diet, stress, exercise, antibiotics, topicals, vitamins, nothing has worked. I turn 30 next year. I thought my acne would magically go away in my 20's. It hasn't. It's just gotten worse. I believe for some of us, there simply is no answer.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 11/18/2012 4:52 am

I don't think changing your diet for a month would truly be long enough. All skin treatments should be tested for 3 months as that allows a complete renewal cycle. If you are all out of medical options I really think you should give that another go. If you are getting spots every day you probably wont notice what breaks you out, so I would have a look at the holistic forums and check other peoples triggers and go with it. I would have thought cutting out gluten is a good idea at first.

If your acne is gut related it could be that your gut is damaged by eating whatever foods it doesnt like (this is a well known issue with coeliacs, but can be the same with people with intolerences) so that all foods become a problem. In that case you really do need to cut them out for a significant amount of time to see any difference.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@dukebluedevils)

Posted : 11/20/2012 6:24 am

Sorry to hear. Have you tried high-dose zinc? It gave me dramatic improvement couple years ago and kept me close to clear most of year 2010. 90-150mg dose, as it has been successfully used in trials for acne treatment. Doesn't cost much so why not give it a shot?

How do you take zinc? Pill or what?

I don't think changing your diet for a month would truly be long enough. All skin treatments should be tested for 3 months as that allows a complete renewal cycle. If you are all out of medical options I really think you should give that another go. If you are getting spots every day you probably wont notice what breaks you out, so I would have a look at the holistic forums and check other peoples triggers and go with it. I would have thought cutting out gluten is a good idea at first.

If your acne is gut related it could be that your gut is damaged by eating whatever foods it doesnt like (this is a well known issue with coeliacs, but can be the same with people with intolerences) so that all foods become a problem. In that case you really do need to cut them out for a significant amount of time to see any difference.

Good luck!

where is the holistic forums? and what is it?

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 11/20/2012 7:05 am

yes zinc is a pill but 100mg is a mega dose.

Get 30 mg zinc daily

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 11/20/2012 12:24 pm

The holistic forum looks at natural ways to cure acne normally through supplementation and diet.

It is found on the main board index, or this link here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/forum/16-nutrition-holistic-health/

MemberMember
(@srotriya)

Posted : 11/20/2012 10:06 pm

Maybe u needed to increase your dose of accutane if it wasn't working. I don't understand these people saying that diet can cure your acne. That has not been proven.