Notifications
Clear all

Warning: My Acne Scars And Laser Damage (Pictures)

MemberMember
(@sverd)

Posted : 11/14/2012 12:34 am

Just wanted to share my experience. After cystic acne and a bout of accutane I was left with severe scars on both sides of my face. I read about Fraxel: Repair and it sounded like a dream come true. I visited a plastic surgeon and he recommended me do both entire sides of my face and my forehead as well (strange considering I have no scars there). I was younger and more naive, so I went along with it. What a mistake. I think he used a lighter setting on my forehead because it healed fine, but the sides of my face are a different story. For at least a year afterwards my face was constantly red and my skin texture was hard and rough. I have to mention the dryness as well. My face had seemingly lost its ability to produce oil. All this was restricted to the areas he lasered, the skin along the edges feels normal (supple and soft). I have to say that two and half years later these problems have dimished somewhat with time, but the skin texture will never be as supple, soft, and moisturized as it was before the procedure (now it feels kind of like paper). If I look very closely I can see the holes where the Fraxel laser hit me. If you do some searching on the internet you'll see that many others have been effected with these problems from all types of lasers. To top it off I didn't get much improvement to my scars, so it wasn't worth the textural and coloration problems to the surrounding healthy skin.

This isn't me, but it's an example of what I mean by texture damage from laser. It's referred to as "orange peel texture". This picture was posted by another person damaged by Fraxel, although she had the less intense Restore done. See the holes where the laser hit her face? There's a stark contrast in color and texture between the lasered skin and the healthy skin on her neck.

Edit: Decided to post pics of my face. Note that the scars are from severe acne, not laser. However the texture of the rest of the skin is messed up in some way, bumpy and rough. Not smooth like the skin on my neck. Anyone can tell upon first glance that something is "not right" with my skin. If I could grow a beard to hide my skin I would.

post-38238-0-07952400-1352873314_thumb.j

post-38238-0-94297600-1352873754_thumb.j

post-38238-0-37988900-1352926265_thumb.j

post-38238-0-07952400-1352873314_thumb.j

post-38238-0-94297600-1352873754_thumb.j

post-38238-0-37988900-1352926265_thumb.j

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 11/14/2012 6:44 am

I have experienced none of thes problems, and I have had Re:pair at the highest settings of 70mj. Ihave also never used any of the chemicals mentioned.

MemberMember
(@sverd)

Posted : 11/14/2012 10:59 am

I have experienced none of thes problems, and I have had Re:pair at the highest settings of 70mj. Ihave also never used any of the chemicals mentioned.

I know that not everyone is going to have adverse side-effects, but the risk is still there. I'm actually kind of shocked seeing how many laser treatments you've had. Is your skin fair?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 11/14/2012 1:54 pm

It's really too bad there is very little way to know ahead of time what will happen with laser. Tons of people say they are fair, did thorough research, went to the best and still ended up severely damaged. I just don't know what you're supposed to do.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 11/14/2012 3:31 pm

How long were you off of Accutane before you had laser treatment? I met with a plastic surgeon yesterday. We talked a bit about Accutane because he had to put his son on it. I've never been on it. He told me he would be reluctant to treat anyone who used Accutane with such a powerful laser. He said that if he were to consider it, the patient would have to be off of Accutane for a minimum of 2 years because Accutane stops the production of oils in your skin and you need those oils to be able to heal from laser treatment.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 11/14/2012 8:46 pm

I am average complexion. Re:pair is the best thing I ever did and I did Dermabrasion and regular CO2

MemberMember
(@awesomenesssquared)

Posted : 11/15/2012 12:27 am

I don't know if it is just me but I don't really see the orange peel texture in your skin? I can see it in the example pic but not really in yours? I think your skin looks fine...if I saw you in the street I wouldn't really notice anything (neither the orange peel texture or the scars that much)

MemberMember
(@sverd)

Posted : 11/15/2012 12:40 pm

How long were you off of Accutane before you had laser treatment? I met with a plastic surgeon yesterday. We talked a bit about Accutane because he had to put his son on it. I've never been on it. He told me he would be reluctant to treat anyone who used Accutane with such a powerful laser. He said that if he were to consider it, the patient would have to be off of Accutane for a minimum of 2 years because Accutane stops the production of oils in your skin and you need those oils to be able to heal from laser treatment.

I was off of accutane for almost two years.

I don't know if it is just me but I don't really see the orange peel texture in your skin? I can see it in the example pic but not really in yours? I think your skin looks fine...if I saw you in the street I wouldn't really notice anything (neither the orange peel texture or the scars that much)

The difference is noticeable when I feel the skin. The non-lasered areas feel smooth and supple while the lasered areas feel more like paper; dry and rough. I think the laser treatment effected my oil glands somehow.

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 11/15/2012 1:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your experiences sverd. It is good to hear all sides when it comes to lasers. It sounds like you did receive damage similar to someone burned, but really your pic is not so bad. Take Care!

MemberMember
(@trendycat)

Posted : 01/12/2013 3:27 pm

I'm just curious, how long did you wait after finishing accutane to start the laser?

MemberMember
(@eric555)

Posted : 01/13/2013 3:37 am

yesone friend who did fraxel restore dual has the same orange texture.

But,another bro who did repair twice has not .

how long did the weired texture appear after the fraxel?

next week,i will go to a doctor to consult my ance scars and maybe do the fraxel restore dual.....

so worry....

MemberMember
(@panos)

Posted : 01/13/2013 6:16 am

what do you mean bad texture? i can see straight white lines

.at their borders you can clearly see sort of pigmented skin...

it is like that laser removed those layers (was there any sun damage?)

i think dermarolling would completel benefit you...

if you had this white texture all over the skin ,you can imagine how great skin texture you would have...

MemberMember
(@redemption1)

Posted : 01/15/2013 6:16 am

For people who have been damaged by lasers there are things like PRP (Platelet rich plasma therapy) or I think possibly Recell where they take samples of your own skin and harvest the cells to make a sprayable serum. There was one women whose face had been really damaged by laser resurfacing and they were able to treat her.

So there are some possibilities for repairing damage caused by lasers etc.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/15/2013 11:31 am

i think your skin looks great. i dont think i would personally care how it feels as long as it looks ok but that is just me. i would have to see a before pic to compare but i dont see anything wrong with your skin at all.

MemberMember
(@janey44)

Posted : 11/27/2013 10:53 am

I see it, but maybe that's because I have the same texture after fraxel restore. How is your skin now?