Notifications
Clear all

Cutting Sugar And Dairy Has Left Me With 99% Clear Skin

MemberMember
(@goadancer)

Posted : 11/12/2012 6:05 pm

For most of my life I have had very clear skin and really only suffered from a few pimples during my menstrual cycle. About 5 years ago I developed severe acne on my forehead and chin. Every inch of my forehead was covered in skin colored bumps and my chin was constantly covered in large painful pimples. I also suffered from body acne which was severe and I had hundreds of bumps on the backs of my arms and even down to my forearms.

Over the past 5 years I have tried several different things. Salicylic acid washes, proactive, benzoyl peroxide, differin, tea tree oil and other random treatments that have been recommended. Although, my acne would start to kind of clear up with some of the treatments it never went away and I always suffered from new acne almost on a daily basis.

About three months ago I got to the end of my rope. I am 27 years old and work in a professional environment and had just grown extremely tired of feeling embarrassed in business meetings and feeling like I didn't want to go out on the weekends when I was suffering from a bad break out.

I decided to try some diet changes. About three months ago I completely cut out all dairy products. After the first month I could start to see some small results with the breakouts but I was still getting new acne every couple of days (but not nearly as severe as before). More than anything I saw a difference in the texture of my skin, it looked so smooth and my pores appeared smaller.

About a month and a half in I decided to also cut out sugar meaning all refined sugars, any foods that had added sugars (not naturally occurring sugars). I also limited my complex carbs (bread, pasta's, rice, ect.) to one a day. I still eat fruit when ever I want it.

Within a week of cutting the sugar, my skin was starting to clear FAST. I noticed I was not getting any new breakouts every couple days and now at the three month mark my skin is about 99% clear. As I neared my menstrual cycle this month I got 1 very very small pimple on forehead but other than that my acne is completely gone.

I just wanted to share my experience because I know how horrible it is to suffer from acne at any age and I really do believe that the cure comes from within versus putting toxic chemicals on your skin.

MemberMember
(@clandestine)

Posted : 11/14/2012 12:06 pm

A lot of us have tried cutting sugar and dairy completely, and to no avail. Just saying, but thanks for sharing.

MemberMember
(@lilacink)

Posted : 11/19/2012 11:35 pm

Thanks for sharing, so what do you eat when you want sweets other than fruit? Because I have a hard time cutting out sugar! Help? Any suggestions? Thanks.

MemberMember
(@goadancer)

Posted : 12/12/2012 8:51 pm

Thanks for sharing, so what do you eat when you want sweets other than fruit? Because I have a hard time cutting out sugar! Help? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you! Unfortunately, I really don't eat much else for sweets besides fruit. When i am really craving something sweet I will make a fruit smoothie (my favorite is Banana's, rice milk, frozen mango and cinnamon), raw almond butter with apples or banana's, and Organic coconut water (sometimes I will freeze it and make Popsicles) my favorite brand is Taste Nirvana.

MemberMember
(@slumpey)

Posted : 12/13/2012 4:18 pm

Intersting. Do you use a cleanser or water to wash your face? Eat any apples, bananas, or oranges for your fruit consumption?