Notifications
Clear all

Stopping Accutane For Laser... Then Resuming Again

MemberMember
(@puffnoodles)

Posted : 11/12/2012 6:03 pm

I am currently on my second month on accutane. I currently have a couple of actives (not as bad as before) but at this point, my face is extremely red from the hyperpigmentation. I am actually considering stopping accutane for a month, doing fraxel/whatever laser surgery is available... then coming back to the accutane treatment after i heal. is this a viable option? i have severe hyperpigmentation on both side of my cheeks, and it is becomong more and more unbearable. I've started using fruit of the earth aloe vera gel last week, and it doesnt seem to be helping that much. I am in desperate need of help

MemberMember
(@puffnoodles)

Posted : 11/12/2012 6:28 pm

I'm taking 80mg a day. started with 40 mg for the first month then my dosage was bumped up

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 11/12/2012 6:37 pm

You can't have any laser for at least 6months from the time you stop Accutane. Wether you stop your course early or not! It can do a lot of damage.

MemberMember
(@puffnoodles)

Posted : 11/12/2012 6:51 pm

What should i do? I just feel so discouraged...

MemberMember
(@awesomenesssquared)

Posted : 11/12/2012 9:08 pm

same position as you man, except i am on my 6th and final month of accutane...with scars thrown in with the red marks. We just have to be patient and wait it out. I try to not think of the now and just think of the end goal 1-2 years down the line...no acne and getting scar/laser treatments. Just pull through.

good luck

MemberMember
(@puffnoodles)

Posted : 11/13/2012 3:30 am

same position as you man, except i am on my 6th and final month of accutane...with scars thrown in with the red marks. We just have to be patient and wait it out. I try to not think of the now and just think of the end goal 1-2 years down the line...no acne and getting scar/laser treatments. Just pull through.

good luck

what products did you use during your course?

MemberMember
(@puffnoodles)

Posted : 11/13/2012 6:48 pm

bump :(

MemberMember
(@awesomenesssquared)

Posted : 11/13/2012 8:41 pm

good luck

what products did you use during your course?

Hey, during my course I tried to keep it simple

For my fash wash I used Cetaphil

For my lotion on my face I bought an expensive brand...probably the BEST non-irritating, keeps skin moist but not greasy and gets rid of flakes ive found: La Roche-Posay: Toleriane (the aspirant not the cream, cream was to thick for me)

For sunscreen I used Olay complete spf15 sensitive skin (I am oliveish skin so dont really burn)

I also changed my hair conditioner because my hair was getting dry and I used Joico moisture recovery conditioner.

For my arms when they would get dry I used Cetaphil daily moisurizer(cheap big tub) and for my dry nose and lips I used aquaphor/vaseline.

I also started applying pure aloe vera gel from a plant before bed before my moisturizer.I did this hopefully to soothe the redness...not sure if it is working. I would say my redness peaked at about the 2nd month of my course and now on the 6th month I am probably 50% less re.d..but it is still VERY bad.

Good luck with the rest of your course.

MemberMember
(@taylor13)

Posted : 11/13/2012 10:37 pm

just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. first of all NOOOOO, whatever you do, do not get any sort of laser treatments done until after you've been off accutane for AT LEAST 6 months. it will seriously mess your face UP. so please, don't.

and also, i got laser treatments done back in 2008...i bought a "package" of 7 or 8 treatments for A FORTUNE (9 grand) and honestly...it did absolutly nothing to "fix" my current acne or past scars. it was the worst pain i've ever felt and some treatments require a week of recovery time because they literatly burn off layers of your skin and it scabs up bad and peels and just OMG...it's a mess. something i never want to go through again. my acne returned FULL FORCE and 4 or 5 months later i started Accutane and it cleared me up totally after a few months and i stayed clear for 3 years. now i'm back on accutane, just started a week ago. i know accutane SUCKS, but just ride it out. it'll totally be worth it, trust me. and if laser is something you are seriously considering, wait until your done with your Accutane course then wait awhile and reconsider then.

MemberMember
(@puffnoodles)

Posted : 11/14/2012 4:00 am

do you think accutane will help me with the current scarring that i have now? im doing accutane through a physician, so idk what options she can present to me (as compared to a dermatologist)

MemberMember
(@puffnoodles)

Posted : 11/16/2012 3:57 am

bump

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 11/16/2012 10:42 pm

Accutane indeed does not directly improve hyperpigmentation or scarring, sorry to say it. I've heard a few anecdotes of people going on Retin-A or other topical retinoids while on Accutane to improve PIH/shallow scars, but it's rare, and some people say it's ineffective and will only cause irritation. More commonly, people go on topical retinoids after their course is complete. You could do that, or you could try the at home remedies such as manuka honey, ACV, etc.

P.S. we can't see those pics, I think your album is set to private or something

MemberMember
(@puffnoodles)

Posted : 11/17/2012 5:30 am

thank you for informing me. i put the pics as public just to show you guys what im going through.

MemberMember
(@avenger)

Posted : 11/17/2012 7:25 am

You should focus on one thing at a time, the main one being the acne its self which is why you are taking Accutane. Once you have completed your course then you should look in to options such as as Laser surgery to help with scarring and hyperpigmentation.

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 11/17/2012 8:24 am

Lol man same here , if this make u feel better my marks are even more red and more extended believe it or not.

I started using Differin 3 times a week and 1 time a week mild exfoliation with 8% AHA( though you should't do this while on accutane) I will inform you if I see any progress .

I can see some of my red marks fading slowly.'

I would't stop accutane just for that , most of people say their marks improve in their last month or weeks.Too bad not much people come here post accutane but I guess there's a reason why because they have clear face so no reason for they to be here.

Whatsoever if your marks won't fade even in ur last weeks ,think about how ur face will look 2-3 months post accutane when the flusing (facial redness) is gone , ur marks will be barely noticeable and 5 post tane with daily using of Differin and Retin- A and exfoliating with an AHA 8% or BHA 2% they will be gone man.

Also Paula Choice have a new product BHA 9 , it cointains 9% salicilc acid , it's for stubborn imperfections ,A LOT of great reviews ,you can see results after only a few uses.

Don't worry there are a lot of options for that after accutane.

Also I wound't call it hyperpigmentation , hyperpigmentation is when you have dark/brown marks , those fade slower , not ur case.

MemberMember
(@puffnoodles)

Posted : 11/18/2012 1:28 am

Lol man same here , if this make u feel better my marks are even more red and more extended believe it or not.

I started using Differin 3 times a week and 1 time a week mild exfoliation with 8% AHA( though you should't do this while on accutane) I will inform you if I see any progress .

I would't stop accutane just for that , most of people say their marks improve in their last month or weeks.Too bad not much people come here post accutane but I guess there's a reason why because they have clear face so no reason for they to be here.

Whatsoever if your marks won't fade even in ur last weeks ,think about how ur face will look 2-3 months post accutane when the flusing (facial redness) is gone , ur marks will be barely noticeable and 5 post tane with daily using of Differin and Retin- A and exfoliating with an AHA 8% or BHA 2% they will be gone man.

Also Paula Choice have a new product BHA 9 , it cointains 9% salicilc acid , it's for stubborn imperfections ,A LOT of great reviews ,you can see results after only a few uses.

Also I wound't call it hyperpigmentation , hyperpigmentation is when you have dark/brown marks , those fade slower , not ur case.

Thank you so much for replying! What do you think that i have? i always assumed that what i had was just hyperpigmentation

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 11/18/2012 3:49 am

Thank you so much for replying! What do you think that i have? i always assumed that what i had was just hyperpigmentation

I just looked again at ur photos and in some of the red marks you have little holes but just in some not in all , perhaps just there where u popped a pimple?If yes don't pop them,if not then in that area u haven't been gentle enough.

If i look very very closely at my red marks in the mirror , I can see also some scarring in some on my red mark but minimal , I would't worry about those,becuse when ur skin is 1 colored people will hardly notice anything on ur face ( at such scarring) of course there are people with extended scarring and mabye deep witch are a little more noticeable.But for me, I just want my skin to be 1 colored.

Oh and nice thing happen to you that u have red marks , u are dark skin tone you should have dark marks (witch take a lot to fade) but u developed red ones ,nice!

MemberMember
(@puffnoodles)

Posted : 11/19/2012 8:02 pm

just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. first of all NOOOOO, whatever you do, do not get any sort of laser treatments done until after you've been off accutane for AT LEAST 6 months. it will seriously mess your face UP. so please, don't.

and also, i got laser treatments done back in 2008...i bought a "package" of 7 or 8 treatments for A FORTUNE (9 grand) and honestly...it did absolutly nothing to "fix" my current acne or past scars. it was the worst pain i've ever felt and some treatments require a week of recovery time because they literatly burn off layers of your skin and it scabs up bad and peels and just OMG...it's a mess. something i never want to go through again. my acne returned FULL FORCE and 4 or 5 months later i started Accutane and it cleared me up totally after a few months and i stayed clear for 3 years. now i'm back on accutane, just started a week ago. i know accutane SUCKS, but just ride it out. it'll totally be worth it, trust me. and if laser is something you are seriously considering, wait until your done with your Accutane course then wait awhile and reconsider then.

thank you so much for these words. Im putting on aloe vera gel beforei go to bed at night so hopefully that would help. My derm recommended doing that cause i think anything else would be too harsh right now. i just really wwant these to go away. i cant look at myself in the mirror and cringe whenever i see a photograph of myself

MemberMember
(@puffnoodles)

Posted : 12/01/2012 4:01 pm

I've been using aloe vera gel for the past two weeks... i don't know if i've noticed any difference :(