Notifications
Clear all

I Have Had It With My Skin! I Don't Know What To Do Anymore

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 11/12/2012 1:35 pm

i've tried lasers and bleaching creams for the pigmentation which helped but i still have darkish, uneven patches of skin on both cheeks and it's bothering the hell out of me. it's been almost two years and these areas still look damaged, ugly, blotchy and dull. plus i have SCARS. my acne breakouts are more or less under control but i just dont know what to do anymore. do you think my skin is beyond repair?

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 11/12/2012 1:51 pm

If your acne is pretty much under control (which it appears to be), you may want to consider getting peels. There are different strengths and types, and range from weak with no down time to very strong with a few days of down time. I would visit a dermatologist, and they can help you choose which peel would benefit you most. I think that after a few peels, you will be satisfied with the results.

MemberMember
(@hopeful479)

Posted : 11/12/2012 2:07 pm

I have heard of success with derma rollers and microdermabrasion. When my skin was better I used Neutrogena's at home microdermabrasion and saw improvement immediately. My skin is flaring up at the moment so I don't currently use it. Best of luck :-)

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 11/12/2012 2:30 pm

thank you for the replies! i think yes, my acne is more or less under control. i still get hormonal acne, but they are small and dont scar as bad as they used to. i take fish oil, sometimes zinc and i try to drink a lot of water. sometimes with fresh lemon juice mixed into it. plus exercise. in fact i had a pretty big pustule a few weeks ago, it was painful but it went away on its own and all that's left is an extremely faint, almost invisible red mark. i can't afford a derm at the moment, do you think i could do an at-home peel? will be less effective? and how severe do you think my scarring is?

i am actually considering the dermaroller but i'm apprehensive about sticking needles into my skin, lol.

MemberMember
(@f93d)

Posted : 11/12/2012 6:21 pm

The center top scarring of that picture looks like you've been doing some work on them.

That (what appears to be a) rolling scar in the center cheek should go away from a few sessions of rolling. Center part should slightly even out and flatten more from it too.

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 11/12/2012 6:56 pm

The center top scarring of that picture looks like you've been doing some work on them.

That (what appears to be a) rolling scar in the center cheek should go away from a few sessions of rolling. Center part should slightly even out and flatten more from it too.

i dont get what you mean, i havent been doing anything to treat my scars... topicals dont work. im working on fading my pigmentation.

also, do you think my scars are severe? is at least 90% improvement realistic? please.. im desperate.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 11/12/2012 7:21 pm

Just saying lasers means nothing. If you have not done ablative fractionalized CO2 you have just been pissing in the wind.

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 11/12/2012 7:22 pm

Just saying lasers means nothing. If you have not done ablative fractionalized CO2 you have just been pissing in the wind.

did you even read what i wrote, though? "i tried lasers and bleaching creams FOR PIGMENTATION." lol

the laser was non-ablative, i'm very much aware it won't help with my scars at all. i did it for my RED MARKS, which cleared up after the laser.

MemberMember
(@f93d)

Posted : 11/12/2012 7:44 pm

I dont get what you mean, i havent been doing anything to treat my scars... topicals dont work. im working on fading my pigmentation.

also, do you think my scars are severe? is at least 90% improvement realistic? please.. im desperate.

It just looks like some scars I treated, that's what they looked like after many rolling sessions.

If you've seen severe scars, you'd be thankful for how mild yours are. Your scars look similar to mine. Consider it "above average" scarring, as my skin doctor likes to put it.

The first time I saw severe scarring in person, my heart jumped and I was shocked. Yet that dude seemed happier than everyone on this forum.

Since you're desperate, I doubt dermarolling will yield the results you hope to see. Probably should search DudelyDoRight's posts and figure out the laser stuff.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 11/12/2012 8:55 pm

Burgandy, for your review:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/252527-laser-link-o-rama/

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 11/12/2012 10:11 pm

http://www.acne.org/...er-link-o-rama/

would i benefit from fractional co2?

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 11/13/2012 7:31 am

Yes I believe you most definitely would benefit.

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 11/13/2012 10:53 am

thank you.. this might sound stupid, but is there an increased risk in getting an ablative laser done given my age? i'm 18. when i did the non-ablative laser the doctor warned me that i had young skin and that it was best i didn't proceed, but i did anyway. i'm guessing the risk would be higher with an ablative one.

MemberMember
(@sverd)

Posted : 11/14/2012 1:44 am

thank you.. this might sound stupid, but is there an increased risk in getting an ablative laser done given my age? i'm 18. when i did the non-ablative laser the doctor warned me that i had young skin and that it was best i didn't proceed, but i did anyway. i'm guessing the risk would be higher with an ablative one.

I would advise against laser. Read my latest thread.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/322752-warning-my-acne-scars-and-laser-damage-pictures/

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/16/2012 3:57 am

I agree with Dudley here. I have had 5 sessions of Fraxel Re:Store (different laser to Dudley) and if I could have my time/money back I would go back in time and have the CO2. When it comes to lasers you need to find a skilled doctor and an excellent machine in order to achieve significant results. Also, in my mind you need to go hard or go home. Be prepared for the downtime and the after care, the follow up treatments and the full length of recovery. There are risks and "horror stories" but these can be minimised by doing your homework first. Lasers seem to have a bad name but in reality in the right hands they can do incredible things.

However, if you're worried about lasers and the fact that you're still very young I would look into alternatives like Dermarolling. No risk of pigmentation changes and is much cheaper than lasers. There are claims that the Dermaroller will produce the same results as a fractionated laser like Fraxel Re:Store and for me I can definitely see the improvement with the Dermaroller after only two sessions. Everyone is different however and there is still downtime and you will still need multiple sessions.

Chemical peels are okay, but I would not attempt them myself. I would seek out a doctor and have them done professionally.

There is always hope. The moment you stop searching for a solution is when all hope is gone. xx

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 11/16/2012 1:50 pm

thank you quirky fox, you've been incredibly helpful and nice lately! (not that you aren't, but you know what i mean) i really appreciate your time and advice.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/16/2012 10:11 pm

:) I'm glad I've been helpful, Burgundyfunk. Just don't stop looking for an answer. When I first started on my treatment journey it seemed like I would never get anywhere. It's taken a while (5 years to be precise) but I am finally at a point where I feel comfortable in my skin.

You will get there! xx