Notifications
Clear all

Eating Coconut Oil

MemberMember
(@emepham)

Posted : 11/12/2012 12:01 am

Hi there. I have started eating extra virgin coconut oil for my acne. Has anyone heard of positive results with this? How much should you eat per day? And are there any possible side effects?

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/12/2012 12:19 am

You should NEVER eat it. Take capsules in controller doses- use it in cooking, or put it in smoothies and such- but this is straight fat and will cause heart issues. Yes, it is the good type of fat and in moderate doses is wonderful for your body, candida, and overall nourishment but to "eat" it in quantity would be detrimental to your health

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/12/2012 12:21 am

I would definitely cook with it.

It pains me to see people latch onto one ingredient in attempts to cure their acne.

I'd prefer to throw nourishment at my body through food.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/12/2012 9:12 am

You should NEVER eat it. Take capsules in controller doses- use it in cooking, or put it in smoothies and such- but this is straight fat and will cause heart issues. Yes, it is the good type of fat and in moderate doses is wonderful for your body, candida, and overall nourishment but to "eat" it in quantity would be detrimental to your health

No it won't. It will not cause heart disease. And it's a great source of energy for the brain and boosts metabolism. You can take a few tablespoons per day, mix it with cocoa powder and stevia to make fudge, etc. also, eat coconut. See the coconut thread which you can find in the pinned food and recipe thread.

Heart disease is caused by oxidation of cholesterol which is made by your body from carbs. Not from cholesterol that you eat. And it's not actually caused by the cholesterol which is the spackle your body creates to patch damage caused by trans fats and sugar, free radicals and other sources of chronic inflammation.. Those are what you should avoid while consuming more anti-inflammatory antioxidant foods.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/12/2012 10:52 am

Agreed to some extent. A few tablespoons a day is indeed fine- capsules, smoothies, cooking and Etc would easily surpass the few tablespoon recommendation and as I said would really benefit anyone's health. Eating tubs of saturated fat on a plate, or spoonfuls out of the jar however- is something I would not recommend despite the actual oxidative cause of heart disease. It's a saturated fat- and despite being able to raise good cholesterol, I've read a handful of cases of heart problems caused by doing just this: eating literal tubs of the oil.

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 11/12/2012 1:08 pm

Coconut is a good source of fat, but be aware that people with type blood O are extremely sensitive to coconut, which can produce allergies and inflammation.

Also, coconut oil has some ingredients that can be quite harsh on the kidneys. In case you have any issues in that department it is wise to stay away from it.

I find grape seed oil to be the only vegetable oil that I can tolerate quite well.

As someone said before, one ingredient probably won't cure your acne. Your whole diet needs to be balanced.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/12/2012 3:59 pm

Agreed to some extent. A few tablespoons a day is indeed fine- capsules, smoothies, cooking and Etc would easily surpass the few tablespoon recommendation and as I said would really benefit anyone's health. Eating tubs of saturated fat on a plate, or spoonfuls out of the jar however- is something I would not recommend despite the actual oxidative cause of heart disease. It's a saturated fat- and despite being able to raise good cholesterol, I've read a handful of cases of heart problems caused by doing just this: eating literal tubs of the oil.

who said anything about eating it by the tubful? And why would anyone want to waste their money on capsules when they can and should have this wonderful oil in their pantry. It's also not that great in smoothies as it's solid below about 70F and smoothies are usually cold.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 11/14/2012 8:19 pm

yes coconut oil will raise ldl, which can become oxidized and form an atheroma or deposits on the artery wall.

for people with heart disease, coconut oil may cause a problem, for others it will be no problem at all, depends on the person and the condition of their health.

coconut oil is highly effective at inhibiting pathogenic bacteria, for people who suspect a connection between dysbiosis and acne, which there is a decent amount of evidence for, then this may help.

human breast milk contains a decent amount of medium chain fatty acids, perhaps for this exact purpose, to protect the infant from gastrointestinal pathogens.

one tablespoon may be the maximum to take daily, you only need 400-600 calories from fat per day, and only 200 cal of that from saturated fat is recommended (~21 grams), so one tablespoon of coconut oil is about equal to 14 grams of fat which is equal to 120 calories, the rest of your fat intake should be from polyunsaturated and monounsaturated like corn oil, canola, walnuts, peanuts cashews olives macadamias, etc. but again, nuts are bad for people with acne, i consume corn and canola, and never soybean oil, there are more polyphenols in corn and canola then soybean and therefore retain higher antioxidant status then soybean, and eat small amounts of nuts.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/15/2012 4:36 pm

Ive been eating it and using it for years and it has never produced any positive effect that I can see on my acne, candida or any other health issues. :(

But it is a tasty and healthy oil to cook with. Just not some miracle for acne by any means.