Weight Lifting & Ac...

Notifications
Clear all

Weight Lifting & Acne

MemberMember
(@modman)

Posted : 11/11/2012 6:23 pm

What is everyone else's experience with weight lifting and acne?

To put it in its simplest terms, increased levels of testosterone in the body will in turn increase sebum production, thus increase acne. Hence why people who use steroids often experience acne as a side effect.

If someone is heavy resistance weight training, they will of course be aiming to increase muscle mass and size, which relies heavily on increasing the bodies endogenous testosterone production.

I have definitely experienced this, especially when "lifting heavy", deliberately making the weight lifting as intense and heavy as possible. I wanted to see if anyone else who are now out of the obvious puberty age bracket where testosterone levels are all over the place anyway can draw comparisons to their acne and weight lifting.

modman

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 11/12/2012 8:44 am

Hi,

I have posted a similar question a couple of days ago in the Oily Skin Section.

I have started doing regular weight exercises for the last two years or so. I just do 4-5 exercises 4-5 days a week including resistance machines and free weights but nothing too extreme besides I do not take any protein supplements. I also do some cardio at least once or twice a week.

I have had oily and spots on and off for many years (since I was 17 and I am in middle 30's now) even when I never went to the gym and had crap diet. I started to notice lately that my scalp and face becomes extremely oily but I am not sure if it's because of weight lifting or it is just a stereotype. After recently reading a few posts about the effect of weight-lifting on hormones and oil production, I started to even consider stopping which is a shame because I really enjoy it besides I need to gain a little bit more weight.

MemberMember
(@lewis-hamilton)

Posted : 11/12/2012 3:37 pm

Steroids makes you produce very little natural testosterone, which means more acne. High testosterone naturally doesn't cause acne. Low levels of testosterone do.

MemberMember
(@modman)

Posted : 11/16/2012 5:41 am

Do you have any links to literature for this as proof? Interested to read, cheers

MemberMember
(@tommyc38)

Posted : 11/18/2012 6:25 pm

I lift weights pretty hardcore and have gone through periods where I don't lift at all and have had acne both times. Don't stop lifting weights....I really don't think its the cause of your acne at all. Its good for you and keep you healthy.

MemberMember
(@nattyjules)

Posted : 11/27/2012 9:50 am

Do any of you use protein shakes as post-workout meal? Or eat a high-protein diet (one where the meat isn't organic and grass-fed)?

MemberMember
(@tommyc38)

Posted : 11/27/2012 11:39 pm

I eat canned chicken and canned tuna all the time...I also drink a high quality protein shake once a day. I am however switching my protein to a plant based protein shake. I think whey protein breaks me out.

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 11/28/2012 8:00 am

I never take any protein shakes or any other supplements. I just reasonably increased my consumption of chicken, eggs and other foods rich in protein.