Accutane Time...

MemberMember
(@woods_teresa2hotmail-com)

Posted : 11/11/2012 7:33 am

Im just over two weeks into my course of Accutane. I've only just started this log because I've been too busy reading other peoples hehe. Anyway, some back ground info. Im 30 years old and have been suffering from moderate acne for 15 years. Sometimes it was managable with the pill or antibiotics, but over the last few years its been getting worse and cystic. Finally my doctor refered me to a dermatologist!

So im just over two weeks into it and so far so good. I wouldnt say ive had any more breakouts, infact my spots seem to be drying up quicker. My lips are dry but ive been using Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream on them and its stopped them from cracking, so far. My skin is normaly extremerly oily, but today when I blotted my face with a oil absorbing sheet I was amazed to see hardly any came off onto the sheet, usually id completely fill the sheet up. I was stunned. My face is matt for the first time in 15 years!! Also ive already noticed the tiny blackheads/blocked pores i have are coming to the surface. I have a lot of blackheads - most are pretty big and they look no different but I think its early days for those deeply blocked pores. Im prepared to be patient.

Dose wise, my first two weeks I was on 20mg and after two weeks I went onto 40mg a day and I have a appointment middle of december with the derm so not sure if they will increase it or not. From reading other peoples logs, my dose seems quite low (im 50kg)? I did read though that US derms tend to use a higher dose than UK derms? Just a bit worried I wont get my full dose, really hoping to see the back of acne finally.

Thanks for reading teehee.gif

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/11/2012 8:52 am

Hey, I'm in the UK too! :) I've been put on 20mg for the first month and then 40mg for the rest of the time (I'm on it for 6 months). I weigh around 54kgs but I'm pretty sure the derm said I'd reach my cumulative dosage, I'll talk to her next time and get back to you.

Good luck, I'll be following your log! :)

MemberMember

Posted : 11/13/2012 4:35 pm

Thanks Chloelauraa. How many blood tests do you have to have? Mine isnt until 2 months in then I have a check up with the nurse. Then the next check after that is month 5 with the derm. Doesnt sound like many c/ups compared to other blogs ive read?! Is that the same for you, maybe its a UK thing.

Week Three

Skin: Was doing really well but yesterday a huge red blind spot sprouted on my cheek, and its taking up territory all around it with the redness, its so painful. Got two spots on my jawline which is not a place I normally get them, and can feel a big one on the other cheek brewing :s Funny, my chin is normally my problem area, but it is totally clear now.

Side effects: Dry lips, but not cracking and hardly flaking. Any UK people - use Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour cream on your lips its best thing ive tried. Lasts forever too (not sure if its avalible in US). My skin doesnt feel dry at all. Some areas are flaking at times, like the side of my nose, plus where old healing spots are it seems to be flaking lots, which looks awful under makeup. Couldnt bear to look in the mirror at lunch time today.

One week to go and it'll 1 month down, 4 more to go!!

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/14/2012 5:25 pm

Yeah I have one this friday, although I'm supposed to be getting one after the first month so I'm a week early for some reason haha, and then on the third month and 6th month :s It's a bit weird, I have to get pregnancy tests more than that! I'd rather have blood tests to see how my body's doing! :/

MemberMember

Posted : 11/15/2012 11:59 am

I've had a sickness bug since tuesday night (non accutane related because my brother had it too) which has meant I haven't been able to take wednesday or todays pills :( Gutted! Has anyone else had to miss a few days dose?! Worried it will mess it all up! Im hoping I'll be able to restart tommorrow.

MemberMember

Posted : 11/17/2012 7:19 pm

Im finally feeling well (ish) again and took my full dose today. So far nothing seems to have changed on my skin seen as I missed 3 days dose.

Weird question - does anyone have strange dreams while on accutane? Since been on it ive had loads of vivid and strange dreams, about ghosts and stuff lol. Not particuarly nice, but not really awful or anything.

While I was ill, my lips got so dry they looked white from all the dry skin, but i think it was Accutane, combined with the fact I was dehydrated from that bug. So now im battling to get them how they were on monday - soft and normal looking, but dry.

Loving the fact I only need to wash my hair once a week while on this!! Be a week tomorrow and it still looks like its only just been washed rolleyes.gif

MemberMember

Posted : 11/18/2012 8:40 am

http://www.dailymail...ng-suicide.html

Sad story in the newspaper today, but I hope they dont ban accutane in the UK, as acne in its self is enough to lead to depression etc... for some accutane is the only option left and yes a risk with some side effects, but what drug doesnt have side effects. Personally, my acne was making me so unhappy I am prepared to risk possible side effects, although I will be sensible about it.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 11/18/2012 5:55 pm

http://www.dailymail...ng-suicide.html

Sad story in the newspaper today, but I hope they dont ban accutane in the UK, as acne in its self is enough to lead to depression etc... for some accutane is the only option left and yes a risk with some side effects, but what drug doesnt have side effects. Personally, my acne was making me so unhappy I am prepared to risk possible side effects, although I will be sensible about it.

Agreed, all drugs not from the body are a risk and people need to get that. I am not a fan of accutane and i am not deluding myself into believing it is completely safe.

Bottom Line, people cannot blame the drug makers when they CHOOSE to take drugs, whether advil, accutane, birth control, spiro, etc, etc, etc.

Feel bad for the family but this young man made a choice to take accutane and unfortunately he was one of those who experienced severe side effects.

Bottom Line, we all need to take responsibility for our decisions instead of blaming others.

Im finally feeling well (ish) again and took my full dose today. So far nothing seems to have changed on my skin seen as I missed 3 days dose.

Weird question - does anyone have strange dreams while on accutane? Since been on it ive had loads of vivid and strange dreams, about ghosts and stuff lol. Not particuarly nice, but not really awful or anything.

While I was ill, my lips got so dry they looked white from all the dry skin, but i think it was Accutane, combined with the fact I was dehydrated from that bug. So now im battling to get them how they were on monday - soft and normal looking, but dry.

Loving the fact I only need to wash my hair once a week while on this!! Be a week tomorrow and it still looks like its only just been washed rolleyes.gif

Glad you are feeling better. Take care of yourself.

I definitely can relate to having weird dreams on accutane. My dreams are very vivid too....hmmm.....strange

Keep us updated on your progress

MemberMember
(@tommyc38)

Posted : 11/19/2012 10:58 pm

Hey! I appreciate your comments! I totally agree that people need to friggn take responsibility for their decisions. I read that article and know how the kid felt. I have taken supplements that made me impotent and it scared the shit out of me...so, I immediately quit taking it and thankfully have no problems in that department anymore haha. People also need to realize how depressed people are with bad acne to begin with....when your damn face is rotting off its not going to make you happy! People need to consider that. Also, imagine how many people would off themselves if there was NO accutane...I bet alot more people would. I mean shit, if NOTHING else worked for me and my face was constantly painful and hideous I would have probably offed myself a long time ago! Accutane gave me my life back!

How are things going? I read your posts and it's totally normal to break out in weird places...I am hoping mine is ending but it's too early to tell. When I started out at 80mg my skin went ape shit....easing into it this time around was a much wiser choice. Today is my second day going back up to 80mg and I'm hoping my skin doesn't freak out....seems like it always takes a good two months for my skin to adjust to the drug and then I'm generally really clear from then on. How long are you going to be on it? It sounded like only two months from your previous post? If I was you I would ask your derm to do a FULL course... I think you will get much better and lasting results if you do.

MemberMember

Posted : 11/20/2012 6:07 pm

Hey! I appreciate your comments! I totally agree that people need to friggn take responsibility for their decisions. I read that article and know how the kid felt. I have taken supplements that made me impotent and it scared the shit out of me...so, I immediately quit taking it and thankfully have no problems in that department anymore haha. People also need to realize how depressed people are with bad acne to begin with....when your damn face is rotting off its not going to make you happy! People need to consider that. Also, imagine how many people would off themselves if there was NO accutane...I bet alot more people would. I mean shit, if NOTHING else worked for me and my face was constantly painful and hideous I would have probably offed myself a long time ago! Accutane gave me my life back!

How are things going? I read your posts and it's totally normal to break out in weird places...I am hoping mine is ending but it's too early to tell. When I started out at 80mg my skin went ape shit....easing into it this time around was a much wiser choice. Today is my second day going back up to 80mg and I'm hoping my skin doesn't freak out....seems like it always takes a good two months for my skin to adjust to the drug and then I'm generally really clear from then on. How long are you going to be on it? It sounded like only two months from your previous post? If I was you I would ask your derm to do a FULL course... I think you will get much better and lasting results if you do.

Hey, yeah I agree, the documentary the guy in the article has made is going to be shown on bbc tv on monday night... it'll be interesting to see if it says anything about how depressing acne is and how its a final resort, I mean I don't think it will because he's blaming accutane on his sons choice to end his life, which is really sad that happened, so I doubt it will show different sides.

Haha glad to hear you have no problems in that department anymore tongue.png Yeah people dont realise how depressed having acne can cause you to be. I told my boss I was going on accutane because I thought i'd better warn them incase the side effects affected how I was at work, and she was like 'but your skin is not that bad' blar blar... but when you live with it every day it is that bad. If there wasnt accutane I'd probably be spending hundreds on lazer treatment now lol. Not sure if that even works well.

Your on a pretty high dose arnt you?! Are you experiencing lots of dryness? Yeah the places which were my problem areas have cleared which is amazing but breaking out around my jaw, but at least I can hide that with my hair so not too worried. Im on 40mg and have an appointment mid december to see the nurse. I think that appointment is just to check my blood work is ok and how its going, I have no idea if the nurses are allowed to increase your dose. Im not actually seeing the dermatologist until mid march 2013. So im kinda hoping the nurse can increase the dose. When I see the dermatologist in march i'd of been on accutane for 5 months, but I havent actually been told how long im going to be on it for. I cant imagine it'd be anymore than 6 months at most. Thats ok though isnt it? I really dont want it to come back in a few years.

MemberMember
(@tommyc38)

Posted : 11/20/2012 10:23 pm

Yeah, six months should be pleanty! I've never been on it for that long. I have been on 40mg for 18 days befor bumping it up to 80mg. My skin totally freaked out when I started at 80mg last time. I decided to ease into it this time. I can't handle the IB I was getting and am terrified it's going to happen again. I'm a fairly big guy at nearly 200lbs so 80mg isn't exactly a high dose. I have noticed I am breaking out a bit the last week or so with 3 whiteheads...it's amazing how fast they pop up and leave. I only have one pimple and a cyst that looks tO be healing. Other than that my skin looks great aside from a few red marks from my previous episode. I can handle the whiteheads...just can't handle the big ones that hurt really bad and look SO unsightly. I have the rest of this week off and I'm sure my skin will clear his week and then go crazy the minute I go back for everyone to see haha...just hope it's not as bad this time...if it starts getting bad ill lower my dosage for a few weeks. These first two months are gonna be rough while my skin adjusts.... Right now my eyes are dry as hell and feel sleepy. My face is a little pink but looks pretty good overall...I put lots of lotion on twice a day and started putting emu oil on at night which I think helps but won't know for sure until a few weeks have past. My lips are definitely getting dryer!! I feel you on how depressing it is to always have pimples on your face even if it's not that bad which is what mine is. I'm just tired of it...hoping that if I nuke my skin with accutane this time it will last me through until my skin decides its done with acne and the rest of my life. Almost got the first month down the hatch though and can't help but think that I still had the tane in my system back in October when I was on 80mg per day for two weeks when I ran out. It was like two and a half weeks or so before I was able to get my hands on it again which was 20 days ago. Acne is SO debilitating I swear!!! People who don't have it will NEVER understand what it's like to constantly be battling a disease that eats your face. Make me SO angry!!!! Anyways I'm totally babbling. Keep me posted on your progress and that documentary!

MemberMember

Posted : 11/23/2012 6:08 pm

Week four (and a few days...)

Ouch! Such a painful spot on my cheek. I seem to have had a bit of a eruption on both my cheeks over the last few days. But they don't have heads, just raised hard red lumps which are really painful. My cheeks have been a bit of a problem area over the last year, I never used to get spots there, but now days I get them there quite often and they are always angry hard and red types. They seem to stay there for ages aswell. Its funny how sometimes acne kinda moves around your face. Few years ago it was my t-zone which was acne prone. Always had perfectly clear cheeks, then my chin became a really bad problem area and then aswell as my chin it moved to the cheek bones and they are never little ones on the cheek, always red like a tomato lol. Anyway, im just hoping the accutane can push it all out and get it over with, so my cheeks can heal. My chin is still totally clear now which is amazing :) I used to see peoples eyes looking at my chin as they spoke to me, was a horrible feeling. I used to always have these kind of little bumps all over my forehead, and about two weeks into this course they dissapeared and now my forehead is perfectly clear too yay!

My skin on my face has began to flake slightly last two days, around the nose and especially where spots are healing and areas around that. Lips are slightly dry, really anticipated hell with my lips but its been really mangeable, either this dose isnt drying me out much or the elizabeth arden 8 hour cream is the best stuff ever.

Last few days I have developed like a rash on my hand, it looks like heat rash, but its bumpy and coarse to touch. I've read other blogs where some people have said they have developed rashes so im not too worried.

Still loving having a matt face, and makeup looks like its been freshly applied. Its such a nice feeling not having to worry about having a shiny face, it would always be on my mind when I was out. I pray it doesnt come back after this course, not like before it anyway.

Im shattered, had 4 hours sleep. Got home from work at 1am. Then got called by my boss at 3am saying there was a emergency so had to rush back in. I was so tired, I couldnt decide wether to apply my concealer and foundation like normal, but I just thought 'sod it' was way to tired to care.

Hope everyone is having a good week!!

MemberMember
(@zhfac)

Posted : 11/23/2012 8:42 pm

Holy crap I know what you mean about acne moving around the face. It's like one area gets clear, then it goes to another one, then comes back. So annoying. Was your skin oily prior to taking Accutane as well? Do most people have the oiliness permanently reduced or? And good luck with the rest of your week!

MemberMember

Posted : 11/24/2012 7:40 am

Holy crap I know what you mean about acne moving around the face. It's like one area gets clear, then it goes to another one, then comes back. So annoying. Was your skin oily prior to taking Accutane as well? Do most people have the oiliness permanently reduced or? And good luck with the rest of your week!

Its rubbish isn't it! Prior to Accutane yes my skin was really oily, I had to use all the mattifying products and would always need to do a lunch time 'de-oil' with blotting sheets. But after 2 or 3 weeks on accutane im not oily at all now its so nice :D So yeah I was wondering the same, if oiliness is permanently reduced or not?! Be so upset if I end up being just as oily after the course as before it started.

MemberMember
(@nick1982)

Posted : 11/25/2012 4:51 pm

Teresa, (and anybody on roaccutane)

I've just read your post and seen that you are taking this medication.

I have taken it myself, 7 years ago when i was 23, i am now 30 -as of last week.

I can completely empathise with your situation, i remember the reason why i paid over 1000.00 for the drug. It was a last resort and i was totally sick of acne. I was the only one of my friends still with teenage acne. But the irony was, the only person that cared about this was me.

I was so desperate for clear skin i reasoned that life was so shit with acne that it was worth the crazy risk of my health.

Ok, so seven years on here i am and i'd like to share how it's gone for me.

I took the drug, went through all the temporary dry skin super chapped lips , the acne got worse and then one day there was not one spot on my face. Awesome!! i thought and i could count the number of spots i've had since on one hand.

However, this is why i want you and anybody taking the drug to stop right now and ride out the zits, (because they will go all by themselves). This drug has some serious long term side effects, so i'll tell you the story of my last seven years:

Shortly after finishing roacutane, i developed severe anxiety, i would tremble and shake. It was so bizarre, i'd never felt anything like this. Then this started to happen around people in social situations, it still happens to this day. To give you an idea of the person i was before, i had lots of friends, i was one of the most laid back people i knew, i was in a band, loved my music i was a pretty laid back guy - well other than the acne.

As the years went on, my general health has deteriorated, i have had a number of auto immune disorders, and you have to remember i'm a young guy at this stage in his prime who takes care of his health. I've ended up with chronic fatigue, i'm basically exhausted all the time. And worst of all is i have cognitive problems with memory and feeling like i'm on a different planet. I lost lots of friends and hardly moved forward with my life at all.

Now there is no clear way of proving that this was because of roacuttane ( it's a drug pescribed by a doctors, and they know what they are doing right? it's not like a drug company is a billion dollar industry?) but please, there are too many people that this has happened to for it to be coincidence, I'm pretty sure, if not 100%, that what happened to me was because of this drug.

Do not risk your health for beauty, when you're older you'll understand, and please i really empathise with all your situations, acne sucks it does i know, but you'll get into your twenties, it may even be towards the end of them if you're unlucky, and it WILL go. But if you fuck your health up you will have a way shitter time than acne trust me.

Please don't do this, if your health goes to shit because of it there is little it seems can be done. You only have one life and one body - look after it.

And i am a real person. My name is nick i live in manchester england, and if anybody wants a chat i'll do my best to warn you.

Also i know this post is not what you want to hear, so please don't get mad. If i'd had no bother with it afterwards i'd be telling you to go for it. I feel it's my duty to warn you as i would hate this to happen to anybody else.

cheers,

Nick

MemberMember

Posted : 11/26/2012 6:07 pm

Hey Nick,

Thank you for your post! Im so sorry to hear about the effects taking accutane has left you with. It sounds awful, I can't imagine how that must be. I appreciate your advice and will take it into consideration. Its not something I thought of lightly, im 30years old and still struggling with it so I've given it long enough to ride out. I guess its just got to the point where im desperate. I understand im taking a bit of a gamble. Funny how these last few weeks theres suddently been loads of stuff in the press about getting roaccutane banned. Just watched the programme on bbc3 about it, and this morning on the news on the radio they were talking about it. Feel a bit torn!

Really hope things improve for you!! xx

MemberMember

Posted : 11/28/2012 1:02 pm

Week Five

I think I jinxed myself last week by sayng I wasn't experiencing much dryness, as now my face is so dry looking and flaky. And my lips have been much drier! Shows its working I guess. The spots on my cheeks have not got any better, this may well be the inital breakout thing everyone talks about. Its really quite painful, have 4 in a row almost like a cluster on my cheek so its like double trouble, almost looks like ive been punched. Problem is, the spots on my cheek always seem to be more kinda like deeper than any others I get. Which means they stay put for forever as the infection/inflammation is so far down in the skin layers. And they dont seem to come to a head ever, just like huge red painful lumps. Are they cystic types?! Whatever it is, blooming hurts, litterally feel it throbbing.

Rash on my hand is bigger and spreading onto my other hand now. Not really sure what to put on it, if at all.

Really would like my cheeks to clear its making me feel so selfconcious. Even on the train home today kept worrying people were looking.

Hope everyone is having a good week. Mines pretty rubbish so far but im sure next week will be better!

MemberMember
(@tommyc38)

Posted : 12/01/2012 12:58 am

Whats up Teresa! I am sorry you had a break out but as you already know that is to be expected and is completely normal. I just finished day 30 and things seem to be clearing now. Of course now that I say that I totally just screwed myself and will be raging on here by the end of next week hahaha. Anyways. hang in there! We will be reminiscing a few months from now how bad that sucks and will be completely stoked on our progress. I am sure once we get over that hump our posts will be further and further apart. Once I start getting my confidence back and LIVING my bloody life, as I should be, I am sure I will probably only post every so often but I will give complete updates through the end of my course and even 3-4 months post take when i start using Retin-A Mico. I did some research on my past Rx's because I remember one of the creams my derm prescribed me completely reversed by scars (they weren't deep but were noticeable). My scars I have now are pretty much exactly the same from breaking out over the years so I am still hoping it worked as good then as it will once I finish my course. Also, I have read countless reviews of other people experiencing the same thing and looking five years younger and having the best skin of their life so I am looking forward to making the transition over to it once I am done. Hopefully this long harsh round of tane will get me through and the RAM will keep me clear for the rest of my days! I am SO ready to close this chapter of my life. Going through this again reminds of all of my relationships and much this crap has robbed of them...I don't know, maybe I am just lonely but this disease has robbed me of so much happiness its not even funny. I can't wait to go on dates and not worry about the FRIGGN lighting...seriously how stupid is that. The last thing someone should be thinking about is how their skin looks when getting to know someone and trying to have fun for crying out loud! I am very optimistic that life is right around the corner...I've always managed to get there and hopefully this time I'll stay!!

MemberMember

Posted : 12/08/2012 7:08 pm

Hey Tommy! Great news that you seem to be clearing up. Lol yup every time I say something like that I worry I've jinxed it too haha. Yeah you are right, we just need to get over the hurdles and by the end of it will be so happy. And can live life properly!!! I think its good to continue posts after treatment has finished, as I guess everyone will experience different things after the medication too... with regards to the side effects etc. I will try to do that anyway.

What is Retin-A Mico?? Is it for the scars? I wonder if they do it in UK, ive never heard of it before though. Im sure it will work just as well for you again, especially if it did the last time! It sucks that acne prevented you from being happpy and has resulted in your relationships ending, I can totally understand, it just totally changes how you feel about yourself and life. Funny what you say about worrying about the lighting, I thought that was just me :) hehe! Although I havent been on a date for soooooooo long as couldn't bear the thought so I haven't had to worry about that for a while. But even now, nearly two months in, I can see the improvement and am feeling a lot less selfconcious about my skin. I met up with a friend last night who I hadn't seen since before I started the course, and without bringing up the subject myself she said my skin was looking better already :) Im really exciting at how it will look after 5-6months. We will have great skin for summer!!!!

Hope you've had a good week, I've been crazy busy but finally some time off!

MemberMember

Posted : 12/12/2012 12:13 pm

Week 7

Had my first check up today with the dermatology nurse. Blood work all fine. She said because im 50kg my max dose per day would be 50mg a day, but because my face is clearing up so well now she doesn't think I need to increase the dose, as she didn't think it would make much difference to my skin but might increase side effects so didnt feel it was worth it. So, its 40mg a day for 6 months. I hope that does the trick for me. I am a bit worried it wont be enough in the long run, as I see so many people on here on 60/80mg etc and im sure they dont weight 80kg lol. But apparently UK dont dose as high as US derm, so I've heard. Anyway I guess they know what they are doing. My skin is definatly considerably better, Ive only had about two small spots since the bad ones on my cheek in week 5. The cheek ones from week 5 have all gone now, well apart from the scaring. I'm not expecting these marks from healing spots to go soon, as the healing process is slower. But overall this is best I've seen my skin in a long time :D And I know I've said this before but its soo nice to not have a oily face. It would always be on my mind before, but its soo nice not to worry about it. Also its really nice to have such a simple skin care regieme right now. Just wash my face with cetaphil and moisturise and thats it!! Before Accutane I'd be using all sorts of spot treatments and mattifying products. Everything is just much simpler now. My aim for the end of this course is to be able to go into work wearing just tinted moisturiser or bb cream and that being enough. Maybe even makeup free... or that may be pushing it a bit haha!

Anyway, I'm happy.

MemberMember

Posted : 01/23/2013 3:15 pm

Week 13

I haven't updated this log for a while. Can't believe how quickly time has gone by, about half way through the course now. Wow. Well, all in all things are pretty good. On average im getting one spot a week. They don't tend to be as angry as they used to be but still quite pusy. The only thing is the marks that are left, my face is pretty much clear now from active spots, its just all the scars (which are worse while on accutane). Im looking forward to when the course is finished and hopefully the scars will fade quicker. The pores on my nose seem to have become bigger, but I'm not sure why, as all the black heads have gone.

As for side effects, the longer I'm on this drug the more side effects im having. Well its not too bad really, Just now I just can't keep on top of the dry lips, even with my trusted elizabeth arden cream, it isn't quite getting rid of the dryness. It could be worse though. Random patches of dry bumpyness on my arms and back of hands which come and go. My knees feel like the knees of a 80 year old woman. When I stand up from sitting down its such a effort, and to walk down the stairs I can feel discomfort in the knees. Especially at work when I crouch down it just feels so kind of stiff and strange. Can't quite describe it. Anyway, I've started taking Cod Liver Oil capsules daily. Has this worked for anyone else? How long did it take to work? Three weeks before starting accutane I had a fall and bashed my knee, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. But the other knee is stiff and stuff also.... But id rather have stiff knees than acne!!!!

I haven't felt any different emotionally since being on accutane. I'm so glad it hasn't effected me in that way. In fact I think I felt more depressed before I started accutane. But now Im on this drug, and seeing the improvements I finally have hope, not just for clear skin, but for improvements in my life due to feeling more confident and not having acne holding me back like it did before :)

MemberMember

Posted : 04/17/2013 10:28 am

Hey Guys!

Well I took my last tablet the other day! So happy and can't believe its over! My skin is amazing, had one spot since February! Accutane has defiantly worked for me. Fingers crossed now I've stopped taking them my skin will remain clear. I will continue to update on how it goes post Accutane.

Side effects: My skin is really thin, always getting cuts on my hands which I don't realise have happened, and lips are always dry and knee and elbow joints stiff and sore. But honestly those side effects are totally worth it. Spotty skin really held me back and made me feel embarrassed and ashamed, and to not feel like that now, and just have dry lips and the discomfort of sore joints to contend with just don't compare. Its annoying, but doesn't destroy all your confidence.

So anyone who's reading this and thinking of going on acutance, its different for everyone, but personally I'd highly recommend it - its been a God send for me!! Six months of side effects for a lifetime (hopefully) of clear skin is a small price to pay in my opinion.

Two products which helped these past 6 months are:

Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream - really helped my lips

Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion - never a flake of dry skin whilst using this, forgot to take it on a weekend away few weeks ago so used another moisturiser on my face and my skin was so dry I couldn't believe the difference.

Hope this helps anyone reading this and feel free to ask any questions if you have any...

Teresa :)