Notifications
Clear all

Tumeric Mask & Internal Consumption

MemberMember
(@mischalatte)

Posted : 11/11/2012 3:14 am

Hey guys! I have a question regarding the side effects/reactions of turmeric. I read a whole lot about it doing wonders for skin and acne, so I started making turmeric masks w/extra virgin coconut oil to leave on overnight, as well as have been consuming around 1500mg a day w/black pepper capsules that I put together myself, about five days ago. I should mention, I currently have mild to moderate acne.

My question is, has anyone experienced an initial breakout while using this stuff? A week ago my skin wasn't half as bad is it is now! I can't imagine turmeric is CAUSING my acne to be worse, and I believe it to be maybe purging the existing acne out??? I don't know. Please shed some light on this for me if you can. Did it make your skin worse, before getting better? How long should I wait it out for?? Thanks!!

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/11/2012 11:35 am

I've taken a lot of turmeric. At one point I was taking 8 capsules a day, and all I saw was a nice (yet mild) anti-inflammatory effect. No initial breakouts, but I stopped taking the capsules because I was making them myself and it was too much work. Now I just eat a ton of turmeric with my food.

Are you sure you aren't allergic to something in the capsules? Do you take other vitamins/supps? I've had a lot of reactions to vitamins and what not due to fillers, so it could be that. I seriously doubt it's the turmeric.

MemberMember
(@mischalatte)

Posted : 11/11/2012 12:13 pm

Hey Deja, thanks for the reply!

I use the powdered form of turmeric from a produce store in my area. No added fillers at all. i've been using the capsules consistently and never had a break out like this before putting the turmeric and organic extra virgin coconut oil as a topical treatment on my whole face. I'm thinking it's purging everything out of my system?

Yes, I do take other supplements. I'm currently taking garlic, as well as a few others for bronchitis that my naturopath gave me. I've been taking these for awhile now, so I know for a fact it's not any of that stuff. Literally, the only thing different that I've been doing is the turmeric. Hmmmmmmm :/ What do you think?

MemberMember
(@jaygo)

Posted : 12/15/2012 9:51 pm

I know it's an old post, but i thought i'd throw my two pence in. I know long term some people have a problem with virgin coconut oil topically. Also consuming to much bitter/hot/pungent foods internally (from what i;ve been told) will have a adverse effect. In your case, taking garlic, tumeric and black pepper at same time maybe too much. I've can personally vouch for turmeric. Too much caused me to breakout when i reduced it, it had a much better effect.

Hope this is useful.

MemberMember
(@betsy91)

Posted : 12/16/2012 1:05 pm

Coconut oil is EXTREMELY comedegenic! That may be causing your breakouts! Try using jojoba oil or olive oil first!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/17/2012 10:43 am

Coconut oil is EXTREMELY comedegenic! That may be causing your breakouts! Try using jojoba oil or olive oil first!

Yes that. But I recommend grapeseed or safflower oil for their high linoleic acid content. Or hemps seed. With caveat and that is that these high PUFA seed oils go rancid easily and those sold in the average supermarket in clear bottles are junk. Get a good one and store it in the fridge.