Notifications
Clear all

Okay I'm Getting Really Creative With This One

MemberMember
(@lia-rae)

Posted : 11/10/2012 9:28 pm

Your appendix is supposed to help protect and harbor beneficial bacteria in your gut... right?

So would that maybe possibly be a factor in my acne coming back (I was clear for almost two years) after having my appendix taken out?

Feel free to laugh at my idea just wondering if anyone else has thought of the possibility (I'm home alone tonight so my mind is wandering eheh). I google'd it and nothing came up so I figured I'd put it out here for you to consider.

Thanks tongue.png

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 11/10/2012 10:05 pm

It may not be as crazy as you think. I remember reading something about the appendix being a safe haven for probiotic bacteria some years ago. I'll look up the article for you.

eta: here's the link: http://www.scienceda...71008102334.htm

eta2: and another one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21699818

Looks like the appendix still has a function, it's not complete hogwash.

MemberMember
(@lia-rae)

Posted : 11/11/2012 5:30 pm

It may not be as crazy as you think. I remember reading something about the appendix being a safe haven for probiotic bacteria some years ago. I'll look up the article for you.

eta: here's the link: http://www.scienceda...71008102334.htm

eta2: and another one: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21699818

Looks like the appendix still has a function, it's not complete hogwash.

I'm really thinking that it might be why my acne came back. Thanks a ton for the info!

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 11/11/2012 6:06 pm

Very sorry to hear that they robbed you of your appendix. I find it incredible that people think they know the human body so well that they can just cut you open and remove entire organs - Insane! It's now even known that the tonsils are very important, and how many poor kids get theirs removed? It is irresponsible and preposterous that they are doing this to people. The only time that a organ should ever be removed is if it's cancerous.

Keep your organs folks. If a doctor wants to cut you open and take your organs, RUN!

MemberMember
(@andersch1m)

Posted : 11/11/2012 8:13 pm

Very sorry to hear that they robbed you of your appendix. I find it incredible that people think they know the human body so well that they can just cut you open and remove entire organs - Insane! It's now even known that the tonsils are very important, and how many poor kids get theirs removed? It is irresponsible and preposterous that they are doing this to people. The only time that a organ should ever be removed is if it's cancerous.

Keep your organs folks. If a doctor wants to cut you open and take your organs, RUN!

Freak out much? Doctors don't just cut people open and steal their organs, they'll only do it if they have GOOD reason. Think about appendicitis, a life threatening condition that will kill someone unless they have their appendix removed. Is that just a doctor just having fun?

I like a lot of advice on this forum, but only a select few seem to have advice worth hearing. A large majority of people on here are sensationalist morons who do more harm than good.

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 11/11/2012 8:34 pm

Freak out much? Doctors don't just cut people open and steal their organs, they'll only do it if they have GOOD reason. Think about appendicitis, a life threatening condition that will kill someone unless they have their appendix removed. Is that just a doctor just having fun?

I like a lot of advice on this forum, but only a select few seem to have advice worth hearing. A large majority of people on here are sensationalist morons who do more harm than good.

Can't read much? When did I say doctors steal organs? What you fail to comprehend is doctors DON'T have a good reason to remove an organ (other than, like I said, if it's cancerous). The majority of tonsils are removed because of inflammation. Instead of curing the CAUSE of inflammation, the doctors just simply remove it. As science now knows, tonsils are important for ones health. The same thing with appendicitis: instead of curing WHAT is causing the inflammation, they just remove the appendix which we now know is important. I'm sorry you've been fooled by this old-age way of thinking. They used to stick flaming hot rods up a persons anus to attempt to "fix" hemorrhages in the old days - I'm sure you'd be one of the people dumb enough to take that procedure too!

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 11/12/2012 9:49 pm

I'm really thinking that it might be why my acne came back. Thanks a ton for the info!

No problem! Could be just a coincidence, of course, but it's weird indeed! Hope you'll be able to find something to get rid of your acne again! If it's probiotics, have you tried supplementing? Or eating more fermented foods?

The same thing with appendicitis: instead of curing WHAT is causing the inflammation, they just remove the appendix which we now know is important. I'm sorry you've been fooled by this old-age way of thinking.

What exactly causes appendicitis? And how would you cure it?

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/13/2012 12:32 am

Lia,

What is your current acne control regimen like? Skin care routine? Exact diet?

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 11/13/2012 2:32 am

From what I have read before, the apendix is also part of the immune system, so you will have lower immunity until your body adjusts to it being gone. Also, consider that after an operation, your body is still trying to eliminate the anesthetic substances. Immunity is always lower after an operation, so you may get any detox symptoms, such as flu symptoms or maybe acne in your case. Just try to do a small detox with herbal teas such as nettle for a few days, and supplement with some probiotics in case your gut flora was affected by the antibiotics or other drugs.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/13/2012 6:37 am

I can attest to immune system going haywire after an operation.

I broke out after surgery.

MemberMember
(@lia-rae)

Posted : 11/13/2012 6:45 pm

Lia,

What is your current acne control regimen like? Skin care routine? Exact diet?

I pretty much follow Dan's regimen without using his products. I am very gentle with my face, I remove my makeup with jojoba oil before using my Murad acne kit. I know it hasn't received positive reviews on this website but I used it as a younger teen and it helped me SIGNIFICANTLY, so that is why I stick to it. But I've only been using the Murad for a few days now, before that I was using an Alba botanica cleanser and using salicylic acid, tea tree oil and lavender oil on my face.

My diet was always good, but never perfect. I still included wheat in my diet, but as of a half a week or so ago I have started an anti-inflammatory diet, consisting mostly of vegetables and EGGS (I love them), lean meats (so far only chicken but payday is friday and that is when I will get some salmon hehe)... fewer fruits. NO DAIRY. Nothing out of a package and nothing with sugar. Sunflower seeds in small amounts, almonds, walnuts as well. I also try my best to follow my blood type diet, I'm a B-

I'm also supplementing with a 50+ billion probiotic, L-Glutamine, and enzymes with every meal. I have cut out all other supplements out of suspicion of them making my break outs worse or being too much on my fragile digestive system. I plan on adding them back in one at a time once I resolve my acne.

It's also important to mention that I was born with a premature digestive tract... It just didn't quite finish developing before I was born. I wasn't able to breast feed immediately and all my life I've had digestive problems... Acid reflux, GERD, I have a hiatal hernia, esophageal scarring... I was 11 or 12 when they put me on my first acid reflux prescription, and things for my acne only went downhill from there until I was about 16, which is when I cleared up.

From what I have read before, the apendix is also part of the immune system, so you will have lower immunity until your body adjusts to it being gone. Also, consider that after an operation, your body is still trying to eliminate the anesthetic substances. Immunity is always lower after an operation, so you may get any detox symptoms, such as flu symptoms or maybe acne in your case. Just try to do a small detox with herbal teas such as nettle for a few days, and supplement with some probiotics in case your gut flora was affected by the antibiotics or other drugs.

Although I haven't done nettle, I am in the middle of a liver detox and have already done a digestive detox a few months ago... And this operation was almost a year ago, so unfortunately I think these are some long-term effects of just not having my appendix anymore :(

I can attest to immune system going haywire after an operation.

I broke out after surgery.

I had crazy depression after my surgery. Almost suicidal... I was so depressed at not being able to walk across the house or being able to go to my job. Surgery's rough, I can only imagine how hard it is after MAJOR surgery.

No problem! Could be just a coincidence, of course, but it's weird indeed! Hope you'll be able to find something to get rid of your acne again! If it's probiotics, have you tried supplementing? Or eating more fermented foods?

The same thing with appendicitis: instead of curing WHAT is causing the inflammation, they just remove the appendix which we now know is important. I'm sorry you've been fooled by this old-age way of thinking.

What exactly causes appendicitis? And how would you cure it?

Funny thing, my surgeon told me that my appendicitis was caused by what appeared to be a popcorn kernel blocking the pathway between the appendix and my intestine... If only I hadn't eaten that popcorn... :(

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 11/15/2012 2:07 am

There is not much you can do about your apendix now, and i know a lot of people without it who do just fine and have clear faces. Take natural herbs for immunity and make sure that you keep your gut healthy. Also, don't take the probiotics for too long as they can also cause problems for some people.

Make sure that your hormones haven't gone wild, maybe try some primrose oil and vitex if you can. This is what I am doing right now and I can tell you that I am 95% clear. From 2-3 pimples per day I went to none, and i only have 2-3 persistent pimples that seem to take longer to heal.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/16/2012 2:43 am

Hey Lia,

Your condition is a bit of a mystery to me. A missing appendix is certainly something I don't and can never understand.

I also think the post surgery had a huge impact, considering everything they had to do to your body.

Have you tried intermittent fasting? Carb cycling?

MemberMember
(@lia-rae)

Posted : 11/17/2012 5:37 pm

Hey Lia,

Your condition is a bit of a mystery to me. A missing appendix is certainly something I don't and can never understand.

I also think the post surgery had a huge impact, considering everything they had to do to your body.

Have you tried intermittent fasting? Carb cycling?

I haven't tried either, if you have any information, however, I would be very interested in learning about what they entail. :)

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 11/19/2012 1:36 am

Funny thing, my surgeon told me that my appendicitis was caused by what appeared to be a popcorn kernel blocking the pathway between the appendix and my intestine... If only I hadn't eaten that popcorn... sad.png

lol

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 11/19/2012 2:03 am

I had crazy depression after my surgery. Almost suicidal... I was so depressed at not being able to walk across the house or being able to go to my job. Surgery's rough, I can only imagine how hard it is after MAJOR surgery.

Is this still a thing in your life?

I've suffered from debilitating depression as well, and it is definitely not fun. I basically felt like...well basically any happy thought i had made me feel this deep sinking feeling in my gut/brain. And as you said, i didn't want to do anything. It's such a crazy issue. I've noticed that the healthier i've been eating (for the past eightish months) the less severe my downs get. And they happen much less frequently. Usually after a super high in my life. Not a drug related high or anything. Or it can trigger if something really heavy happens.

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 11/20/2012 12:51 pm

I've suffered from debilitating depression as well, and it is definitely not fun. I basically felt like...well basically any happy thought i had made me feel this deep sinking feeling in my gut/brain. And as you said, i didn't want to do anything. It's such a crazy issue. I've noticed that the healthier i've been eating (for the past eightish months) the less severe my downs get. And they happen much less frequently. Usually after a super high in my life. Not a drug related high or anything. Or it can trigger if something really heavy happens.

I've been suicidal since 1st grade, not sure why.

But now I know how to deal with them, and even have learned so much about it.

MemberMember
(@lia-rae)

Posted : 11/21/2012 12:36 pm

I used to deal with severe depression in my early teens and I did directly after my surgery, but I have absolutely no problems with depression now. I think I will always have more of a tendency toward dark thoughts than someone who has never been depressed... But I have done enough soul-searching to know what makes me happy and what I need to do when I start having negative thoughts again. :)

I definitely think the longer I stick to the Gut Diet and prbiotics the more success I will have... I cheated a few days ago and broke out... But before that I was doing great and seeing awesome improvement.