Notifications
Clear all

Dry Skin

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 11/10/2012 12:06 am

I have written similar articles like this in the past, but received little information that would be of value to me, so let me try to word this carefully.

I have been on the acne.org regimen for 7 months. Before the use of acne.org I was using something like Differin 0.1% benzoyl peroxide to help with my acne, it just HELPED, didn't clear my skin. Got clear on the regimen after 3 weeks. Things were all fine and dandy, but my skin wouldn't quit peeling. I was using 2 pumps of BP with 2 pumps of moisturizer and a whole lot of jojoba oil. Nothing could stop the flaking. It was embarrassing, and I felt like a lizard, so naturally, about 1-2 months in, I cut down on the amount of BP I was using. I continued to use just 1 pump morning and night for a few more months. Around 5 months in I was still having no luck solving my extreme dry skin problem. Every time I wash my face, within a few seconds my skin flakes up and feels very tight. I cut back on the amount of cleanser I was using, thinking that was the problem. Nope. Around 6 months in I decided something needed to change. I got a new moisturizer, (cerave moisturizing lotion). I liked it better than the acne.org one because it was clear and absorbed quickly, but my skin still flaked and peeled. Finally I decided to cut down to using half a pump of BP. I started breaking out. Feeling very frustrated I decided maybe the cleanser was the problem. (Keep in mind that I am using jojoba oil), I liked Cerave's moisturizer so I thought their cleanser should be pretty good. I got the foaming facial cleanser. Nah. I like acne.org one's better.

So here I am today. Frustrated, and I still have flaky skin. Mostly around my mouth and T zone, but my skin flakes everywhere on my face. Please acknowledge I am young, and I don't want to pile on crap tons of BP for fear that it's not good for my skin. 7 months and this hasn't gone away. During the day with moisturizer on, I'm pretty much fine, just any time water comes in contact with my skin BOOM. dryness. Before any of you suggest that I quit the regimen, I refuse to quit. I also refuse to use AHA once I heard a story of a woman who said it gave her eczema, I just don't want to risk it. If you have ANY tips besides quitting or using AHA please comment! I am desperate! Please help! (this is probably the longest article I've ever written on here)

MemberMember
(@vijitha)

Posted : 11/10/2012 4:18 am

I am 27 years old girl and have been suffering from acne since last 1.5 years. I was really worried and came across acne.org while browsing internet. Really impressed with reviews on acne regimen and got one for meself.

I started using acne regimen from last 2 days. First day, I used 1 pump of cleaner, pea sized benzoyl peroxide and one pump moisturizer. It was ok and I had little itching and redness. Second day, I used the same 1 pump of cleanser , little bit more than pea sized benzoyl peroxide and one pump moisturizer. This time I found my face swelling, too much itching and dryness and red. I am confused whether this the side effect of Benzoyl peroxide or I am allergic to BP? Can you please suggest what is going on with me , if I can goahead continue using the regimen or stop immediately?

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 11/10/2012 6:12 pm

I am 27 years old girl and have been suffering from acne since last 1.5 years. I was really worried and came across acne.org while browsing internet. Really impressed with reviews on acne regimen and got one for meself.

I started using acne regimen from last 2 days. First day, I used 1 pump of cleaner, pea sized benzoyl peroxide and one pump moisturizer. It was ok and I had little itching and redness. Second day, I used the same 1 pump of cleanser , little bit more than pea sized benzoyl peroxide and one pump moisturizer. This time I found my face swelling, too much itching and dryness and red. I am confused whether this the side effect of Benzoyl peroxide or I am allergic to BP? Can you please suggest what is going on with me , if I can goahead continue using the regimen or stop immediately?

If your skin is flaky or peeling in the beginning its normal, redness is also normal. However if your face is unbearably itchy and swelling, you probably are allergic to BP and you should stop if it becomes a problem. Don't increase the amount of bp you use too quickly. I think you may be having an allergic reaction, but its your job to decide whether you want to continue or stop.

MemberMember
(@johnny199r)

Posted : 11/11/2012 11:25 am

I had the same problem as you. I live in Northern Canada, where it gets down to - (MINUS) 50 c in Winter. The kingdom of flaky skin. The only and I mean ONLY moisturizer that works is Cetpahil dry to very dry skin formula. The other 10-15 moistuizers I've tried over the years do absolutely nothing and are a rip off (Dan's moisturizer, Any Neutrogena product etc).

MemberMember
(@swj48)

Posted : 11/12/2012 1:59 am

i had a flaking problem for awhile. through process of elimination and just studying things i discovered that the flaking was being caused by my cleanser. what fixed it for me was trying different cleansers until i found the right one. i still get dry and need to moisturize, but no more flakes. i settled on Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash. give it a try maybe. if it doesnt work for you, look at what dan recommends and also check the reviews on the site and try some that have good ratings by acne.org users. good luck.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 11/12/2012 12:38 pm

i had a flaking problem for awhile. through process of elimination and just studying things i discovered that the flaking was being caused by my cleanser. what fixed it for me was trying different cleansers until i found the right one. i still get dry and need to moisturize, but no more flakes. i settled on Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash. give it a try maybe. if it doesnt work for you, look at what dan recommends and also check the reviews on the site and try some that have good ratings by acne.org users. good luck.

Actually, I have noticed that flaking is much related to the cleanser, because my skin gets far more drier after washing my face than 15 minutes of bp. I think i'm cleansing for too long which just strips my skin of everything. Thank you for the recommendation!