Is This True Or Jus...

Notifications
Clear all

Is This True Or Just A Myth!

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 11/09/2012 6:49 am

Is it true that wight lifting increases oil production? I remember reading a couple of threads on the website before which claim that weight lifting affects the hormones which in turn increases the oil production. Well, I am not doing anything professional or taking any protein supplements. I Just work out 5-6 days a week in the gym spending about an hour a day where I do some pull-ups, a few dumbbells and like 4-5 weight machine exercises in total. Once or twice a week I do cross-train/treadmill as cardio exercises. I am not overweight and do not have lots of muscles. I am 1.82 m (5ft 11) tall and weigh 81 KG. As I said I do not take any protein supplements and just eat chicken, eggs and vegetables in moderation regularly as a natural source of protein.

Does anyone have a proof that mature weight work outs increases oil production?

Thanks,

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 11/09/2012 1:27 pm

I started lifting weights regularly, and my skin went from pretty oily to extremely oily. It was uncomfortable enough to make me stop lifting regularly. Sad, because I enjoy lifting :(

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 11/09/2012 3:29 pm

I started lifting weights regularly, and my skin went from pretty oily to extremely oily. It was uncomfortable enough to make me stop lifting regularly. Sad, because I enjoy lifting sad.png

Has it been scientifically proven that weight lifting increases oil production? Does that mean all exercising elevates oil levels or it is just weight lifting?

The thing I do not understand is how weight lifting differs from other sports like soccer or basketball where the players push their muscles to the limit as well. As I said I do some weight lifting but nothing professional just 4-5 different exercises like pull-ups and free weights and then finish with 1-2 stomach exercises followed by stretching. I do cardio for 40 mins or so once or twice a week. I do not take any protein supplements.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 11/09/2012 6:49 pm

I lift weights and have oily skin, but my skin was oily before I ever started lifting weights. I don't know if lifting weights affected my oil production, but it definitely didn't cause it. I would keep lifting weights if you want to, and find a better way to get rid of the oil.

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 11/09/2012 7:25 pm

Just rinse your face with water only if you find it oily.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/11/2012 3:35 pm

This is 100% true, but it doesn't affect it too much. When you workout you temporarily increase the amount of testosterone going through your body. I have been working out religiously for sports and general health for about 8 years. When I stopped working out for a few months after a knee surgery I saw oil production go down a little, and then when I picked it back up the oiliness increased.

Generally, any compound exercises will give more of a T boost than an isolation exercise. At the same time, compound exercises are the best ones for adding mass and getting stronger. Not to mention there are many health benefits to having increased testosterone.

So the bottom line is any resistance exercise will bump up testosterone levels which may in turn cause slightly oilier skin. Most times there is a difference but it is barely noticeable in terms of visible skin oiliness. If you enjoy working out and staying in shape, continue to do it because the oil difference from stopping isn't enough to make it worth it to not exercise.

Think about it, would you rather have a strong and healthy body with your oil production at a 7 (1-10 scale),

OR would you rather be overweight and sluggish with your oil production at a 6 ?

It's a no brainer for me :)

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 11/13/2012 8:18 am

Bloody hell! So that is another thing that I greatly enjoy will have to give up! So what else?

No working out! No sugar, no diary, no take-aways, no bread, no pasta, no rice! No sex, no masturbation!

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/13/2012 12:57 pm

Bloody hell! So that is another thing that I greatly enjoy will have to give up! So what else?

No working out! No sugar, no diary, no take-aways, no bread, no pasta, no rice! No sex, no masturbation!

There is no point of giving up enjoyable activities in life just so you don't 'accidentally' get a spike in your testosterone levels and maybe a little bit oilier skin. Weight lifting, as any form of exercise, is good for you. The good points outweigh the bad points by a lot. Really. Don't stop just so you don't get oilier skin.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/13/2012 3:39 pm

LOL The whole point of my response was to give you info on why, yes, it does make a slight difference. But at the same time, it is NOT worth giving up.

And as for everything else, why do you want clear, non oily skin if you aren't ever planning on eating out or messing around with your girl/guy. Just because they affect your skin slightly, does not mean really abstaining from any of those things you mentioned is practical or healthy.

Eat balanced, exercise, have fun, enjoy whatever it is you do.

BOOM- the secret to life, everybody

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 11/13/2012 8:13 pm

No no no, writing in your daily diary is perfectly okay! It won't cause a problem! biggrin.png

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 11/16/2012 12:59 pm

No no no, writing in your daily diary is perfectly okay! It won't cause a problem! biggrin.png

]

Was a typo mate. I meant dairy not diary.

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 11/16/2012 6:23 pm

Was a typo mate. I meant dairy not diary.

Yeah, I know. You'd be surprised how many times I've used that same joke on people who type "diary" when they meant to type "dairy"! smile.png

By the way, I'll mention something else here which I've always found very peculiar: the surprising number of people who use the term "dairy" in this context! Why would anybody say something like "eating dairy can cause acne", instead of simply saying "drinking milk can cause acne"?? It sounds really hillbilly to use the word "dairy" in that context! tongue.png