Fainting

MemberMember
(@fruitloops)

Posted : 11/08/2012 6:10 pm

So, I'm on day 7 and I've had no dry skin, no dry lips, no side affects that normally people get at first. I have, however, gotten a sort of weird, and scary, side effect. On days 6 and 7, I've been having near-fainting spells, where my head will feel light and tingly and the room will twist and turn itself. Then after this weird spell goes away, I'll shake pretty badly, not just hands but arms and I can feel it through my whole body. At first I assumed it was low blood sugar, but reading up on it I could actually have high blood sugar? I know it's bad for me, but for the past year or so I haven't been really eating a proper breakfast, just a cup of coffee with lots of sugar. And then I eat lunch around 12:30 or 1, depending on the day. Again, I think this contributed to the fainting spells too, but I am fairly certain accutane has caused it. So I'm thinking I should try eating a real breakfast and maybe a snack in between lunch and breakfast, and see how I feel (and also skip the sugary coffee). While I guess that solves the problem, my dermatologist makes me get a blood test while fasting once every month to check glucose levels, so at this rate I might get taken off of it at the end of my first month. I was just wondering if anyone else had this same side effect and what they did to remedy it? I'm a junior in high school and it's really an inconvenience to have to take breaks and make sure I'm not going to pass out, I have a hectic schedule and I don't have time to think about babying myself. Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I'm only on 20 mg a day. Thanks for reading :)

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 11/08/2012 10:46 pm

WE DON'T KNOW IF YOU WILL PASS OUT OR NOT! WE ARE NOT PHYSICANS AND i SUGGEST YOU STOP ACCUTANE AND CALL YOUR DOCTOR 1ST THING IN THE MORINING. ACCUTANE HAS MANY SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS!!!!!!!

ACCUTANE EFFECTS EVERYONE DIFFRENTLY AND THERE ARE MANY WHO HAVE BEEN EFFECTED ONLY ON 20MG. YOU HAVE TIME TO THINK OF A HETIC SCHEDULE IF YOU ARE IN THE HOSPITAL OR WORSE!!!!!!

I ALSO ASSUME YOU ARE KEEPING HYDRATED AS YOU CAN GET SEVERELY DEHYDRATED ALSO, HOWEVER LIKE i STATED ABOVE WE ARE NOT PHYSICANS.

GOOD LUCK!

P.S. SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS, JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU REALIZE IT IS SERIOUS!

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 11/09/2012 2:36 am

The blood test is to check your LDL cholesterol. Accutane raised mine to 120 the first month. Even though I ate a lot of candy and mcdonalds and pizza this month from Halloween it went down to 116 for the 2nd month.

LDL Cholesterol

LDL Cholesterol Category

Less than 100

Optimal

100 - 129

Near optimal

130 - 159

Borderline high

160 - 189

High

190 and above

Very high

MemberMember
(@fruitloops)

Posted : 11/09/2012 6:38 pm

Hello all, I have a bit of an update. Today I ate a waffle for breakfast and a cereal bar before lunch and experience no fainting feelingz. However, I started feeling drained of all energy and came home shaking with a fever around 101. How probable is it that being on accutane for 6 days caused this? I could, most likely, just be sick, but to be safe I'm not taking a pill tonight. That way, if tomorrow I feel worse I'll know I'm probably coming down with something and it's not the accutane. I have had classmates get sick this week as well so I could have the flu or something.

MemberMember
(@bosnic)

Posted : 11/09/2012 6:49 pm

The longer you wait to tell your doctor about this, the more risk you're undertaking.

Permanent side-effects are not unheard of from Accutane. Stop taking Accutane, and see what happens. And talk to your doctor.

MemberMember
(@fruitloops)

Posted : 11/10/2012 9:17 am

I went to bed around 7 last night and woke up at 7 this morning and feel significantly better. No fever and no aches. I'm not completely sure if this was related to the accutane, I could have just been sick..? But I'll try taking it again tonight and if I feel worse again I'll know it is the accutane.

MemberMember
(@taylor13)

Posted : 11/11/2012 9:41 pm

make sure you are drinking lots and lots of water. i know it can get annoying at times, but honestly, water will lessen the severity of a lot of the sucky accutane side effects. the more water you drink while on accutane, the better.

hope you're feeling better and taking care of yourself.

MemberMember
(@fruitloops)

Posted : 11/13/2012 11:06 pm

Hey, another update. Turns out I was just really sick and I guess I must have been really dehydrated to. I'm assuming the accutane had little to do with it, and I'm continuing to take it and experiencing just the normal dry skin and lips. Things are getting significantly better, my initial breakout was hardly anything, becoming hopeful :D.

MemberMember
(@fruitloops)

Posted : 11/29/2012 5:58 pm

Yet another update because I felt like it was important to mention that I'm still experiencing the near fainting spells. They come on with absolutely no warning, I'm sitting in class and suddenly this tingly warm feeling comes over me and the room moves and I start to feel like I can't hold myself up straight. Again, never experienced this before taking accutane.. and I'm only in the first month (7 more days). Tried eliminating coffee from my diet and started eating more frequently incase it's low blood sugar, but I've had the faint feeling both on an empty stomach and after eating. Been drinking a lot of liquids too. I'm baffled, have no idea what it could be... anyone have any ideas?

\shameless self bump

Also felt like I should add that the weird fainting feeling is the only abnormal side effect I'm experiencing. Got dry skin everywhere, dry eyes, and a little bit of back pain.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 11/29/2012 6:41 pm

Uhmm....once again I am going to tell you to stop Accutane and call your Doc and have some labs done! Accutane can also cause Diabetes in which high blood sugars can cause fainting also! Along with 50 other things Accutane can possibly cause. Your playing Russian Roulette!