Notifications
Clear all

A Bit Lost, Looking For Advice. (Pictures)

MemberMember
(@dlhm)

Posted : 11/07/2012 10:20 pm

Hi,

I had written a longer more extensive post but it got deleted when I was writing it TT. So here is a condensed version:

(My skin looks much better because of the yellow lighting, the red mark are significantly more noticable in normal lighting and there is a lot more hyperpigmentation and scarring you can't see.)

I got severe inflamed acne all over my face when I was 17 out of nowhere from basically perfect skin. I was prescribed Minocycline (100mg), Retin-A and BP. It took about 2 years for my face to get much better. I decided to go into the marines as an officer therefore I had to go to training over the summer while I was in school. During the summer when I was 19 my skin started to get better, I worked doing landscaping and then went to training and magically my skin was clear. It was amazing. Then I went back to school and my acne came back, i would say to a moderate degree. Then once again summer came around, I went to training and my acne went away. I went back to school in the fall, and once again, it came back to a moderate/mild degree. Then I came home for winter break and my skin cleared up again, went back to school and it came back... Now I am where I am at now. Trying to figure out why my skin would clear up during those time periods.

I have not changed my medication besides stopping the minocyline about 2-3 weeks ago. I don't think it was doing anything after 4 years besides killing my gut and liver. I decided to try and fix things with diet, so I stopped eating anything with sugar, no dairy except the occasional yogurt, very limited carb sources. I basically only eat quinoa and lentils. Only lean meats (turkey, chicken, and fish) a ton of vegetables, almonds and pumpkin seeds. I drink a ton of water and only white tea. Do I think this has helped, not sure, things got better, got worse, went up and down. Without seeing any monumental changes. The only change now is that I am terrified to eat anything else and it is driving my insane.

I exercise 4-5 times per week, cardio and lift, and drink a ton of water.

I have been taking multivitamins and probiotics for well over a year.

I started taking 5000IU of D3 4-5 weeks ago because I thought the sun exposure over the summer was the cause.

I started taking 50mg of Zinc 3-4 weeks ago

I started taking Candex 2-3 weeks ago because thought the antibiotics might have killed all the good bacteria in me and I have noticed my tongue is unusually white.

So far I haven't noticed any huge changes and that is why I am here, curious as to what others might think.

Thank you if you read this and have any ideas. smile.png

post-172418-0-17208700-1352341519_thumb.

post-172418-0-98770500-1352341604_thumb.

post-172418-0-25741500-1352341685_thumb.

post-172418-0-17208700-1352341519_thumb.

post-172418-0-98770500-1352341604_thumb.

post-172418-0-25741500-1352341685_thumb.

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 11/07/2012 10:48 pm

It seems like you're doing very well with your diet and life style. I wouldn't be afraid of the sun because the sun is extremely good for you (given that you are not burning). 20-30 min of sun exposure is all you need.

Make sure you don't have any food allergies to the food you are eating. Looks like you eat simple, and that's a good thing because it makes it easier to pin point what foods you are intolerant to. Any time you have heart burn, gas, upset stomach, etc, link back a few hours back to what you ate and you need to eliminate that food.

Four years of antibiotics is a very long time to be on. It could take some people years to restore their gut flora. You're very wise to be taking probiotics. I would be taking 80-100 billion units of probiotics daily with multiple strains of bacteria.

You also didn't mention any EFA supplements. That is a very, very, very crucial element of nutrition and supplementation. I would get 6-9 grams of flaxseed oil. I like the liquid container ones and just take a couple tablespoons with the meals I eat, or in a protein shake. The gel capsules are more expensive but handy when you're at work or something.

I would also be drinking Whey Protein. Whey protein is pretty much amazing. It has the full spectrum of amino acids you need, glutamine which will help restore your gut lining, and a GREAT source of protein. If you're working out and not taking protein powders, you're crazy in my opinion!

Keep up the good work.

Edit:

Forgot to mention a few things. You have to be careful with the meats you find at the grocery stores. A lot of it can be toxic. Animals that are imprisoned and confined to a very small space, unable to move are under stress 24/7. Stressed out animals produce hormones and other factors that remain in the meat which are bad for the animals, and bad for human consumption. Also, many are injected with growth hormones which also get consumed by the unknowing consumer. Some red meat is even sprayed with viruses to kill other bacteria. Mass farmed animals are also fed grains everyday of their lives. Cows are not meant to eat grains. They're meant to eat grass. Grain consumption causes the animals to get VERY sick which is why all mass-farmed animals are given antibiotics. Basically you're eating very sickly and diseased animals.

I myself made the switch to free-range grass fed animals that get plenty of sunlight and exercise. This meat is actually good for you, and actually has omega-3 fats which mass-farmed (imprisoned) animals are lacking of.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 11/07/2012 11:15 pm

Start juicing and also look into yoga and home made kefir. You should be clear.

MemberMember
(@dlhm)

Posted : 11/08/2012 4:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. I do agree I could probably use more probiotics. I guess a few questions I had were if my diet was actually effecting me that much. When my skin was clear over the summers I was eating everything now I am paranoid about eating. Also I was wondering if anyone had ideas about the source of my acne, hormonal, dietary, etc or why it would clear up during the summers.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 11/08/2012 6:01 pm

Common elements of summer clearing up skin:

Sweating more, more sun exposure, more fresh air, less stress, drinking more to stay well hydrated, using more energy so burning sugar etc quicker, swimming in salt water or chlorine.

Just wanted to add that your skin looks pretty nice to me. I know you said the light is flattering, but you're a handsome chap.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 11/10/2012 11:30 am

Are you using a cleanser or moisturizer?