Notifications
Clear all

Will Drinking Milk Cause My Acne To Resurface?

MemberMember
(@socallove)

Posted : 11/07/2012 8:42 pm

Hey guys,

So, I've been battling acne for the better part of 9 years. I've had episodes where my acne gets better and it's very limited (this always occurs in the summer, when I'm less stressed and getting more sun) but for the most part, it's been an on and off battle. Recently, my acne has started to clear up. I still get some whiteheads/pimples/pustules but for the most part it's not too bad.

Now, I'm also trying to gain weight and one of the routine's I'm thinking about trying recommends drinking a gallon of milk a day. Now I'm not completely sure but ever since I read in high school that milk could be a major contributor to acne, I cut it largely out of my diet. It's for this reason, that I'm scared to start drinking large, large quantities of it. Now I know everyone is different but what are your guys' experience with milk and acne? Has anyone been clear, started drinking lots of milk, and had their acne resurface?

I will say that I eat a lot of cheese (cheddar and gorgonzola)/cottage cheese and do not think that it has caused me to break out. So...what do you guys think?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 11/08/2012 1:08 am

Besides acne milk can cause a lot of other health problems too. Why would you want to put yourself at risk? Just do some research and you will find numerous studies that have linked milk to cancer and other diseases. In my opinion it's best to avoid it at all cost. We get enough foreign hormones from other foods, there's no need to supplement by drinking lots of milk. There are many other ways to gain weight.

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 11/09/2012 9:43 pm

This is purely through my experience: I too had cut milk from my diet completely about 1 year ago because I had read online and through my dermatologist that I had only visited once, had said dairy can cause acne. I know that feeling, the fear when you have acne, that anything you do can be a suspect that could have caused the breakout. So I cut milk from my diet for about 7-8 months but still ate cheese. My acne had cleared up due to many lifestyle changes. I lost A LOT of weight it was not until 3-4 months ago where I finally realized that I looked really skinny and that I needed a change, so i began drinking milk again and ever since, no breakouts what so ever. I came to realize that milk was probably not the cause of my acne and that I have a great feeling that I sorta cut it out of my diet for nothing. In my opinion, don't cut out foods unless you are certain it breaks you out or that your allergic to it. If you really want to try drinking milk again, do it slowly, experiment. Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 11/09/2012 9:54 pm

Unless if you are somewhat intolerant/allergic or get bad stomach aches after eating certain foods, it's best to avoid the unnecessary unhealthy ones.

If you are wanting to gain weight, why not add in butter, or coconut oil to your diet? Not to mention coconut oil can inhibit dht conversion. It's not just milk and the acne correlation, it's that how much crap it really is.

Don't just do it for your image and looks, do it for your overall health and lifestyle.