Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Gone To The Derm For Dark Marks?

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 11/07/2012 12:45 pm

If so, what happened?. I'm not accepting a cream, when I've already been given so many products that damage my skin long-term. Do they perform peels/lasers?. I don't want to waste my visit (waiting half a year isn't funny), so advice, experience would be appreciated.

MemberMember
(@darkacnescars)

Posted : 11/07/2012 8:58 pm

Do you have any pictures or anything to help give people a better idea of what you're situation is? (I have dark spots/hyperpigmentation/scars on my arms and have been using a topical foam, but have an appointment with him coming up and want something different, just like you)

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 11/08/2012 9:34 am

Do you have any pictures or anything to help give people a better idea of what you're situation is? (I have dark spots/hyperpigmentation/scars on my arms and have been using a topical foam, but have an appointment with him coming up and want something different, just like you)

I did post one before, but because of my camera (any in general actually), it doesn't capture the marks properly. My hyperpigmentation looks like melasma (although it's not) from long-term BP use. Large patches of my face are 3-4 shades darker that my nose (which is mark free). Has that foam been working for you?. My arms are covered in marks as well, but I'm not too concerned with that. I'm wondering if they perform TCA peels?. One or two of those and I should be fine, I don't trust topicals anymore.

MemberMember
(@darkacnescars)

Posted : 11/08/2012 10:48 am

I did post one before, but because of my camera (any in general actually), it doesn't capture the marks properly. My hyperpigmentation looks like melasma (although it's not) from long-term BP use. Large patches of my face are 3-4 shades darker that my nose (which is mark free). Has that foam been working for you?. My arms are covered in marks as well, but I'm not too concerned with that. I'm wondering if they perform TCA peels?. One or two of those and I should be fine, I don't trust topicals anymore.

The topical foam has been working great (it's called Hydro 35). It has faded my hyperpigmentation/scars tremendously. Many of the marks that I had on my arms are unnoticeable now, however there are still those few, pesky darker marks that I am hoping to get rid of, which is why I am returning to the dermatologist again. The last time I was there, he simply looked at my arms, recommended and prescribed the foam, and that was it. I am happy with the results but like I said, I want to get rid of it all - for good. This time I am going to pick his brain and run through every last option that I have for getting rid of these things.

As far as doing peels or any of the other things you have mentioned, I can't say that I'm very well educated about any of that. I'm curious as to why you don't trust topicals anymore though.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 11/08/2012 11:35 am

The topical foam has been working great (it's called Hydro 35). It has faded my hyperpigmentation/scars tremendously. Many of the marks that I had on my arms are unnoticeable now, however there are still those few, pesky darker marks that I am hoping to get rid of, which is why I am returning to the dermatologist again. The last time I was there, he simply looked at my arms, recommended and prescribed the foam, and that was it. I am happy with the results but like I said, I want to get rid of it all - for good. This time I am going to pick his brain and run through every last option that I have for getting rid of these things.

As far as doing peels or any of the other things you have mentioned, I can't say that I'm very well educated about any of that. I'm curious as to why you don't trust topicals anymore though.

Wow, that's great to hear. I've never actually heard of that foam before but it sounds potent. Persistence is what you need, I believe that if you push enough, they'll give you something that's sure to get the job done. You don't want to be just another customer patient.

They're meant to be highly effective, especially the TCA peel. I've seen the before and after photos of someone who had severe hyperpigmentation and their skin did a complete U-turn after it. I don't trust topicals mainly because BP messed me up quite badly, Retin-a gave me large chemical burns and everything else caused my skin to crack :/

MemberMember
(@darkacnescars)

Posted : 11/08/2012 12:30 pm

Wow, that's great to hear. I've never actually heard of that foam before but it sounds potent. Persistence is what you need, I believe that if you push enough, they'll give you something that's sure to get the job done. You don't want to be just another customer patient.

They're meant to be highly effective, especially the TCA peel. I've seen the before and after photos of someone who had severe hyperpigmentation and their skin did a complete U-turn after it. I don't trust topicals mainly because BP messed me up quite badly, Retin-a gave me large chemical burns and everything else caused my skin to crack :/

I've never tried a peel, but it might be something I have to look into. And I've kind of been getting the same mindset lately, I am just going to keep trying and trying until something happens.

These are recent, I've been using the foam for around 1 1/2 to 2 months. I'm just worried about never being able to fade them any further and being stuck with them for good.

post-187842-0-51991100-1351525960_thumb.

post-187842-0-70097900-1351526069_thumb.

post-187842-0-94174100-1351526170_thumb.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 11/08/2012 12:38 pm

I've never tried a peel, but it might be something I have to look into. And I've kind of been getting the same mindset lately, I am just going to keep trying and trying until something happens.

These are recent, I've been using the foam for around 1 1/2 to 2 months. I'm just worried about never being able to fade them any further and being stuck with them for good.

Yeah, I know what it's like. You can fade them entirely, I'm sure of it. TCA has the ability to remove a layer of skin, afterwards revealing new, un-damaged skin. They don't look bad or anything, but I don't know what they looked like before. Did the doctor give you a time frame, for you to be using it?. 6 months is often the standard time.

MemberMember
(@darkacnescars)

Posted : 11/08/2012 3:39 pm

Yeah, I know what it's like. You can fade them entirely, I'm sure of it. TCA has the ability to remove a layer of skin, afterwards revealing new, un-damaged skin. They don't look bad or anything, but I don't know what they looked like before. Did the doctor give you a time frame, for you to be using it?. 6 months is often the standard time.

Unfortunately, the doctor did not give me any sort of time frame. I feel like the foam he prescribed me has worked great up to this point in getting rid of the excess scarring that I had and my arms do look a lot better, but I just feel like I've reached a plateau. Whether I actually have or not, I'm not sure, maybe I just don't notice any change because I'm always looking at it so much.

I searched for more info/pictures about TCA peels after you mentioned it, and I'm really curious about it now. I know that when you're in this situation, and you've been struggling with it for a while, something like a TCA peel seems like a foolproof solution, but I know there's always going to be side effects with everything. Do you have any more info about it? From looking at before and after pictures, I am extremely interested.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 11/08/2012 4:54 pm

Unfortunately, the doctor did not give me any sort of time frame. I feel like the foam he prescribed me has worked great up to this point in getting rid of the excess scarring that I had and my arms do look a lot better, but I just feel like I've reached a plateau. Whether I actually have or not, I'm not sure, maybe I just don't notice any change because I'm always looking at it so much.

I searched for more info/pictures about TCA peels after you mentioned it, and I'm really curious about it now. I know that when you're in this situation, and you've been struggling with it for a while, something like a TCA peel seems like a foolproof solution, but I know there's always going to be side effects with everything. Do you have any more info about it? From looking at before and after pictures, I am extremely interested.

It's good to take a before and after picture at maybe 1 month intervals for things like these. Checking everyday will make you neurotic, give it a few more months (I'm genuinely interested in the change, if any, too.)

Yeah I was relieved (an understatement) when I found out about it. From what I've researched so far, there isn't any side-effects out of the ordinary for chemical peels. If you were to perform a deep peel, you could shed an entire layer (not sure if that's a lot of not, but I know it renews) of skin. I'd also like to find out more about it though, hence why I'm going to mention it to my derm. A girl had a TCA peel and she had black marks from hyperpigmentation, but afterwards, she had the skin of a child..

MemberMember
(@darkacnescars)

Posted : 11/08/2012 5:35 pm

It's good to take a before and after picture at maybe 1 month intervals for things like these. Checking everyday will make you neurotic, give it a few more months (I'm genuinely interested in the change, if any, too.)

Yeah I was relieved (an understatement) when I found out about it. From what I've researched so far, there isn't any side-effects out of the ordinary for chemical peels. If you were to perform a deep peel, you could shed an entire layer (not sure if that's a lot of not, but I know it renews) of skin. I'd also like to find out more about it though, hence why I'm going to mention it to my derm. A girl had a TCA peel and she had black marks from hyperpigmentation, but afterwards, she had the skin of a child..

I am looking forward to talking with my dermatologist and I will definitely be asking about the various treatment options that I have read about, especially a chemical peel. When I met with him the first time, it seemed like he kind of just gave me the foam and said "eh, let's just see if this works and how much it really helps." Kind of the mindset that if it works, great, and if it doesn't, then we'll have to do something more drastic and kick it up a notch. I've been reading that with most chemical peels, you want to minimize sun exposure, so doing it during the winter would be great too, since I'm already wearing long sleeves.

Your last sentence about a girl who had a peel and now has smooth, great looking skin makes me hopeful. From what I've been reading, it sounds like one of the more successful options out there. I'll try to keep taking photos every once in a while for progress and we'll see how it goes. My dermatologist appointment is in 2 weeks, so I'll either still be using the foam after that appointment, or I'll be on to something different (fingers crossed, maybe he'll be able to do a peel or do something right then and there).

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 11/09/2012 8:07 am

I am looking forward to talking with my dermatologist and I will definitely be asking about the various treatment options that I have read about, especially a chemical peel. When I met with him the first time, it seemed like he kind of just gave me the foam and said "eh, let's just see if this works and how much it really helps." Kind of the mindset that if it works, great, and if it doesn't, then we'll have to do something more drastic and kick it up a notch. I've been reading that with most chemical peels, you want to minimize sun exposure, so doing it during the winter would be great too, since I'm already wearing long sleeves.

Your last sentence about a girl who had a peel and now has smooth, great looking skin makes me hopeful. From what I've been reading, it sounds like one of the more successful options out there. I'll try to keep taking photos every once in a while for progress and we'll see how it goes. My dermatologist appointment is in 2 weeks, so I'll either still be using the foam after that appointment, or I'll be on to something different (fingers crossed, maybe he'll be able to do a peel or do something right then and there).

And that's the exact attitude I'm trying to avoid when I see the derm. They should know exactly what works and what doesn't. That's true, though I'm not sure if the sun sensitivity is permanent but I doubt it. It's a short term side effect.

I hope all goes well for you. My appointment is in 2 weeks and a bit too. I'm going to make note of all my concerns and then relay them to the derm when I get the chance. Don't settle for a cop out.

MemberMember
(@darkacnescars)

Posted : 11/20/2012 10:19 am

And that's the exact attitude I'm trying to avoid when I see the derm. They should know exactly what works and what doesn't. That's true, though I'm not sure if the sun sensitivity is permanent but I doubt it. It's a short term side effect.

I hope all goes well for you. My appointment is in 2 weeks and a bit too. I'm going to make note of all my concerns and then relay them to the derm when I get the chance. Don't settle for a cop out.

Finally reached my dermatologist appointment, tomorrow morning. I can't wait to talk with him and hopefully everything goes well. The foam has been doing great, and my arms have shown some more improvement since the last time I posted. The dark spots have faded a little more, but I'm still going to push for more answers and options, like you said. I'm really leaning towards a chemical peel. I know it's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it's worth the little bit of pain to get rid of these marks and boost my self-confidence again.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 11/20/2012 11:24 am

Finally reached my dermatologist appointment, tomorrow morning. I can't wait to talk with him and hopefully everything goes well. The foam has been doing great, and my arms have shown some more improvement since the last time I posted. The dark spots have faded a little more, but I'm still going to push for more answers and options, like you said. I'm really leaning towards a chemical peel. I know it's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it's worth the little bit of pain to get rid of these marks and boost my self-confidence again.

Thank you for that update!. I hope you come back with a positive result, let me know how it goes. I have my appointment in 6 days.

MemberMember
(@darkacnescars)

Posted : 12/12/2012 7:49 pm

Thank you for that update!. I hope you come back with a positive result, let me know how it goes. I have my appointment in 6 days.

Sorry that I haven't posted in a while. Long story short, my dermatologist said he was somewhat surprised at the marks (there has been improvement, but still some prominent spots hanging around). He told me to keep doing the topical foam in the morning, but he gave me a prescription for Locoid lotion to use at night.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 12/13/2012 9:16 am

Sorry that I haven't posted in a while. Long story short, my dermatologist said he was somewhat surprised at the marks (there has been improvement, but still some prominent spots hanging around). He told me to keep doing the topical foam in the morning, but he gave me a prescription for Locoid lotion to use at night.

No worries man. I assume that was a positive result then. I'll look up "Locoid lotion" to see what info I can gather on it. When I went, the derm basically told me that my hyperpigmentation is too extensive to prescribe anything. she said to just give it time and it will go >_> complete waste of time really. It's been almost 5 years now, how much more time do I give?. Anyway, /endrant. Here's hoping for a large improvement sir :D

MemberMember
(@mrsuitntie)

Posted : 12/14/2012 5:31 pm

i want to but i have a bad feeling my derm is tired of me because i keep going back

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 12/14/2012 8:20 pm

i want to but i have a bad feeling my derm is tired of me because i keep going back

Even if that were true, they are your doctor and are required to give you medical assistance when you go to see them. If you go and tell them exactly what the problem is, they'll be required to give you something that can alleviate it (If there is anything), whether they're tired of you or not.