Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Ever Told You...

MemberMember
(@baladii)

Posted : 11/06/2012 8:05 pm

That the reason you are not getting employment is due to the fact that you have "a skin condition"? Second person today, someone I'm close to and consider a good friend. I can't be mad at him because he's actually trying to help me and has even given me money to pay for derm visits....but it hurt, between him and my own Father lamenting about how everyone he's seen working is "pretty" with "flawless skin" and how for any kind of service job that's the reason I'm not getting hired, it has to be, and how I must somehow enjoy feeling miserable day in and day out and how I don't "try" to do anything. It hasn't stopped me, it's just more incentive to truly find a means to be a successful entrepreneur which is what I have wanted all along...but I have been struggling financially for quite a while and psychologically also with different issues that are not acne related. It's all shit. =( I don't want to suffer anymore.

It hurts more because even though I consider myself to have a strong mind the fact that I've had as many interviews as I have over the course of the past 4 months (and SECOND interviews), and nothing has come to fruition yet almost makes me subconsciously validate their beliefs, which might be true.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/07/2012 8:31 am

That the reason you are not getting employment is due to the fact that you have "a skin condition"? Second person today, someone I'm close to and consider a good friend. I can't be mad at him because he's actually trying to help me and has even given me money to pay for derm visits....but it hurt, between him and my own Father lamenting about how everyone he's seen working is "pretty" with "flawless skin" and how for any kind of service job that's the reason I'm not getting hired, it has to be, and how I must somehow enjoy feeling miserable day in and day out and how I don't "try" to do anything. It hasn't stopped me, it's just more incentive to truly find a means to be a successful entrepreneur which is what I have wanted all along...but I have been struggling financially for quite a while and psychologically also with different issues that are not acne related. It's all shit. =( I don't want to suffer anymore.

It hurts more because even though I consider myself to have a strong mind the fact that I've had as many interviews as I have over the course of the past 4 months (and SECOND interviews), and nothing has come to fruition yet almost makes me subconsciously validate their beliefs, which might be true.

That is a load of crap and don't believe that for a second.

The job market is tough right now with millions unemployed, they don't all have acne.

He may be a good friends but he is lacking in education.

Keep your chin up and don't allow comments like that to stop you doing from what you want to do.

MemberMember
(@baladii)

Posted : 11/07/2012 6:40 pm

Thank you for that =) I have been persistent and even though I isolate from time to time my condition has never stopped me from doing what I want to do.

o Havoc o liked
MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/08/2012 5:25 am

Thank you for that =) I have been persistent and even though I isolate from time to time my condition has never stopped me from doing what I want to do.

Thats great to hear.

You will have down days, that is just human nature, But we have to know what bad feels like to know what good feels like.

Keep going. Fall down, get back up, you are stronger. :)

MemberMember
(@baladii)

Posted : 11/10/2012 8:48 pm

His unsolicited opinion was voiced to me once again today.... It's pretty torturous especially when I feel slightly helpless because I had to move back in at 24 years old due to financial reasons a couple months ago. I have a deadline set, by Thanksgiving I'm out, period no matter how much money I have or don't have. I'm an extremely resourceful person but times are tough. I know he probably just wants the "best" for me and is trying to be "helpful" but that+ stress of unemployment+ stress of acne+ other mental health and depression issues has pushed me over the edge. I "shouldn't" be complaining considering the tumultuous upheavals and mass genocides going on in the world, but it's still very painful. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone but I'm trying to make the best of it and get the fuck out.

He's not a bad person and I definitely have gratitude that I'm not homeless right now.... but it's all enough to make me slightly insane.

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 11/10/2012 9:09 pm

I think that it's kind of a rumor that gets out there, but from personal experience, I've never had to deal with this. I was always afraid that I would be looked down on as an applicant because I don't have flawless skin, but the last two job interviews I had I got the job both times and the managers never seemed to notice or acknowledge my acne/scars. As long as you're able to convey that you're an intelligent, had-working person that will give the job all the effort it deserves, then I don't think anyone is going to disqualify you because of something as superficial as skin issues.

Baladii liked
MemberMember
(@baladii)

Posted : 11/10/2012 9:29 pm

For the most part I agree with you.. I hate to say this for fear of seeming as though I'm trying to substantiate my inability to get employment hence thus far or feel sorry for myself, but you're also a man. Even though we live in the 21st century, less emphasis is put on the beauty of a man's skin, (depending on the nature of the job, unless you want to be a model, actor or in the entertainment industry). I think there is still an underlying current of discrimination that exists against women from a superficial standpoint regardless of her skills. If there are two equally qualified candidates and one is more attractive....

I still have high hopes, and I by no means think acne is a deal breaker, but that's me, I know the pain of this condition and I can empathize. In fact, I am considering going into psychodermatology myself or at least offering a counseling service geared towards people struggling with their skin.