Notifications
Clear all

I Think This Is An Acne Scar, But I'm Not Sure.

MemberMember
(@name-not-required)

Posted : 11/06/2012 5:39 pm

Hi! I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think this is the most appropriate sub-forum.

When I was about ten or eleven, I experienced one of my first and worst pimples. It was right in the top center of my chin (right where it curves into the skin before your bottom lip) and I picked the heck out of it when I was a kid. It lasted for maybe a month - I picked nonstop and it was always very red and irritated, and I always removed the scab. Well, now I'm twenty and for as long as I can remember since I had that pimple, I've had a very raised bump in the same place where the pimple was. My assumption is it is either a scar or cyst, although I can't find any pictures that resemble it. It is the same color as my skin, and it only turns red if I've put pressure on it (I've tried to pop it only twice for as long as I can remember. For the most part, I leave it alone.) Also, I'm not sure if it is advised to do this here, but I use hydrogen peroxide to try to kill any bacteria in my acne, and I've noticed the few times recently that I put it on this bump after I had opened it a bit to try and pop it, it reacted a lot (bubbling and white).

I just hate when I take a really nice photo or something and that bump ruins my image. I've been feeling more and more self-conscious about it lately and I'd love to know what it is. At the time I can't visit a dermatologist or other doctor to have it identified, but I imagine it's nothing important because nobody had said anything about it before.

I can try to provide pictures if it will help someone identify it.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/07/2012 4:44 am

Hiya!

I would be inclined to think that it's scar tissue, especially since you had that pimple for over a month. Does it feel hard to the touch? I wouldn't stress too much but I would see a dermatologist. Scratching or squeezing the spot will likely make it worse, as will applying products without knowing what they will do. If it turns out to be a raised scar there are treatment options available. First thing is knowing what it is.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@name-not-required)

Posted : 11/07/2012 11:08 pm

Hi! Thank you for the response. It is slightly hard, yes. I agree, I'd like to visit a dermatologist, but can't for a while (insurance issues) so I'm hoping maybe someone here can help me identify what exactly it is. I hadn't even known of scar tissue being a possibility, so I looked up pictures - it looks nothing like anything I've seen, as the raised scar tissue photos I see are very red/pink and don't have a normal skin texture like my bump does.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/08/2012 4:46 am

Scar tissue isn't always red/pink. Colour depends on a lot of factors including age and type of the scar, location, creams you've used etc.

The reason I asked if it was hard is because it's likely not an active pimple if it feels solid. Scar tissue can build up and is usually tougher than the skin around it. So, popping it or trying to force products into it might not be a good idea. Your body is an awesome healing machine and may see further trauma to the spot as a reason to just build more scar tissue under it to curb bleeding etc. Sometimes the only cure for things is time.

There are a few other possibilities out there as to what it might be. Have you tried Googling "sebaceous cysts"? See if any of those pictures look similar to what you have. I had one of these on my shoulder blade once. It was the same colour as my normal skin, hard and about the size of a pea. The only way to safely remove these, if they bother you, is by surgery. A doctor makes a small cut and lifts the cyst out. They are completely harmless though, so no freaking out! Hehe!

MemberMember
(@name-not-required)

Posted : 11/08/2012 1:47 pm

I have looked up sebaceous cysts, a lot of them look nothing like what is on my chin, but a few of the smaller/skin colored photos somewhat resemble the bump. It's not quite as raised as the ones I'm seeing though. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can see a dermatologist and ask if it can be removed, thanks Fox!

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/09/2012 4:19 am

:) Anytime.

Don't stress over it, you'll work it out. Just don't pick at it as it may make it worse/bigger. Maybe look into some gentle topicals to soften the tissue, something like pawpaw ointment (very cheap!) or Bio-oil. I'd just use one or the other at night, every night, and see if that helps at all. The dermatologist is your best bet though. ;)

All the best.

MemberMember
(@natasha_2009)

Posted : 11/12/2012 4:21 am

Hi Quirky Fox, I am in Melbourne. Just wondering how much did your dermarolling cost? DId u get your treatments in Melbourne?

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/15/2012 3:47 am

Hey Natasha!

I'm in NSW and had my treatments done in Sydney. My treatments cost $800 a session but it might vary depending on where you go. Happy to refer you to who I see if you want to travel.

The other option to find someone qualified to do the treatments is via the original Dermaroller website for Australia. You can choose where you live and it will give you all the names and numbers:

http://genuinedermar...u/find-a-clinic

Just pop in your address and you'll see who's closest. When I did this I then started calling all of the places that seemed good. Look for someone who practises in a surgery or a doctor's office and avoid beauty salons. wink.png

Happy to answer any questions you have about the treatment, what to expect etc.

xx