Notifications
Clear all

Saw Palmetto

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/06/2012 11:19 am

Hello,

I'm thinking about supplementing my diet and supplements with Saw Palmetto so I don't have to worry about being quite so strict when at restaurants, etc.

I was pretty clear for a while and stress along with some cheating in my diet caused some bad zits and now a cyst which I might very dramaticly add feels likes it's ruining my life.

This makes me think my acne is mainly hormonal and could be controlled by hormone treatments.

I'm all clear right now everywhere except my chin which I read is a sign of hormonal acne, plus I got this cyst right smack at "that time of the month" and my hair is thinning out; all which point to hormones.......

Can anyone tell me if they regret taking Saw Palmetto? I know it can lower your sebum production so I imagine to much might lead to dry skin and I'm not worried about that.

On the flip side anyone here really glad they took saw palmetto? If so, how much did you take and for how long. I really don't think anyone can say for sure if something works unless the have been on it for at least a couple months and they didn't change a bunch of other things at the same time so if that's you please please let me know your thoughts on this!

I am also planning on supplementing with Iodine because it treats acne, depression, slow thyroid which causes cold hand/feet, tiredness, hair loss, which are all things I'm dealing with.

Thanks so much for anyones help!

I'm forever indebted!

MemberMember
(@aed2712)

Posted : 11/06/2012 11:40 am

First of all, if you have other symptoms (other than acne) pointing to a hormonal issue, I would recommend seeing a doctor who can properly diagnose you with something. As far as Saw Palmetto goes, I was so excited to start it. I took it for about one week. After about 3 days, I had never looked so terrible! I was completely shocked! My face and chest broke out into what seemed like millions of small bumps. It could have been the initial break out, but it definitely wasn't worth it. It took a while to get rid of the bumps, but they did go away. So, I personally wouldn't recommend Saw Palmetto but there are lots of people it has worked for. :)

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/06/2012 4:12 pm

What exactly are you eating, on a regular basis? In order for anyone to help you, you have to be honest.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/07/2012 9:06 pm

I'm eating whole foods, meats, eggs, veggies, a little bit of fruit, starting drinking green tea yesterday and I still drink a cup of coffee.

I don't eat dairy, grains, fast food, sugar, table salt, or any oil that's not olive oil or coconut oil.

Nothing from a box or can basically as much as possible

MemberMember
(@enh333)

Posted : 11/07/2012 11:41 pm

I've been on Saw Palmetto for about a year now. The results are great. No side effects. I take a combination of vits and supps. Evening Primrose oil (1200mgs twice a day) has also been great. Zinc and folic acid are others that I use. Vitamins and supps are really the way to go. You can also use topicals, but attacking the acne at the core is vital for success.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/08/2012 3:15 am

I'm eating whole foods, meats, eggs, veggies, a little bit of fruit, starting drinking green tea yesterday and I still drink a cup of coffee.

I don't eat dairy, grains, fast food, sugar, table salt, or any oil that's not olive oil or coconut oil.

This all sounds great to me.

What's your carbohydrate intake like? I suppose it'd help if you stated exactly what meals you've eaten in the last 2 days.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/08/2012 9:46 am

I've been on Saw Palmetto for about a year now. The results are great. No side effects. I take a combination of vits and supps. Evening Primrose oil (1200mgs twice a day) has also been great. Zinc and folic acid are others that I use. Vitamins and supps are really the way to go. You can also use topicals, but attacking the acne at the core is vital for success.

Cook, thank you, can you tell me what brand you take? Is it standardized? And how long did it take for you to see results?

I also do take zinc and folic acid too.

Thanks!

This all sounds great to me.

What's your carbohydrate intake like? I suppose it'd help if you stated exactly what meals you've eaten in the last 2 days.

I'm on a low carb diet; really don't eat hardly any carbs, but this cyst I've been dealing with started over 2 months ago so it has nothing to do with what I've been eating the last few days.

I was pretty good with my diet up until a couple weeks before I got the cyst when I ate some bad stuff although it didn't seem like that much which is why I think it's more a combe of diet/hormones than just my diet. The cyst has forced me to be much more careful in what I eat though.

MemberMember
(@broscience)

Posted : 11/09/2012 12:18 pm

Im a 17 year old male and I started suplementing saw palmetto a week ago. I dont know if this is because of saw palmetto but I have become really depressed lately and I mean like suicidal depressed! My libido has dropped to zero and I feel so empty, I guess this is not the supplement for me at least, but you should try it and find how it works for you.

MemberMember
(@enh333)

Posted : 11/09/2012 2:50 pm

Q: Cook, thank you, can you tell me what brand you take? Is it standardized? And how long did it take for you to see results?

I also do take zinc and folic acid too.

A:Thanks! was take Pure essentials, 320 mg. Just started taking Clearetto, its specific for acne and has a ton of standardized SawPalmetto in it. It's a bit pricey, but I sprung for it. Good Saw Palmetto isn't cheap. I've found saw palmetto is one of those things that the longer you take it the better it works. It may take a few months at the most, but once you build it up in your system it will work great. Also, continue taking it, don't miss more than a day or two in a row. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/09/2012 3:36 pm

Cut the coffee out (caffeine is a huge culprit in hormonal acne), only eat farm raised free range organic omega three eggs (you probably already do but just making sure), drink only decaf green tea and as for the meat- opt for all natural/antibiotic free chicken and if you're going with red meat, definitely get grass fed (non-grass fed meat is totally different compositionally).

I know that's a lot to do- but many people have found tremendous improvement by following these simple steps/substitutes. It has a lot of science to back it up, and it might cost a bit more money, but its worth a shot and regardless it will do wonders for your overall health (and hormonal imbalance especially).

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/10/2012 9:23 pm

Cut the coffee out (caffeine is a huge culprit in hormonal acne), only eat farm raised free range organic omega three eggs (you probably already do but just making sure), drink only decaf green tea and as for the meat- opt for all natural/antibiotic free chicken and if you're going with red meat, definitely get grass fed (non-grass fed meat is totally different compositionally).

I do do all of that except for the coffee part; can you tell me how you know about the caffeine being a culprit in acne?

I know everyones says coffee is bad for you but I drink a high quality coffee that is mycotoxin free; totally different and cleaner then most coffees.

It still has caffeine though so I'd like to know if there are any articles, clinical studies, or something you can point me towards on the caffeine/acne hormone connection. It probably raises cortisol levels so maybe thats it?

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/16/2012 10:32 am

I do do all of that except for the coffee part; can you tell me how you know about the caffeine being a culprit in acne?

I know everyones says coffee is bad for you but I drink a high quality coffee that is mycotoxin free; totally different and cleaner then most coffees.

It still has caffeine though so I'd like to know if there are any articles, clinical studies, or something you can point me towards on the caffeine/acne hormone connection. It probably raises cortisol levels so maybe thats it?

Caffeine raises cortisol levels and also disrupts certain hormones if you are sensitive to it. I'm sure there are numerous posts both on this site and the general web. I don't have the scientific background to explain it to you in detail but the connection is rea. It doesn't matter if the coffee is toxin free because it is due to the caffeine, the acidity, and the fact that it is a bean that are among many factors that irritate people.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/18/2012 12:07 am

Yeah, that makes sense, LOL, I just don't wanna give it up but certainly will if I need to.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/18/2012 1:47 am

Iodine doesn't treat acne. In fact, iodine, and whatever detox/issues are associated with it make acne worse for MANY people. Iodine is important for your body but I wouldn't want you to be misled into thinking it was some sort of acne treatment. I had to stop taking it because it was causing such horrible breakouts.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/18/2012 4:07 pm

Iodine doesn't treat acne. In fact, iodine, and whatever detox/issues are associated with it make acne worse for MANY people. Iodine is important for your body but I wouldn't want you to be misled into thinking it was some sort of acne treatment. I had to stop taking it because it was causing such horrible breakouts.

How long did you take it?

Did you give it a long time and follow the bromide detox instructions on curezone at all?

Did you take selenium, Vit C, B2&B3 and magnesium with it?

You need to take all those things to avoid too big of a detox. When your iodine levels are low and you start supplementing it can overload your liver causing massive bromide release and cause detox breakouts

But this can be dampened and adjusted by pulsing your supplementation and following the bromide detox instructions.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/18/2012 5:46 pm

Yes. I tried it for over a year and followed all the instructions to a T (salt pushes, all the companion nutrients, etc)The breakouts and other horrible symptoms got better for a little while and then came back with a vengenance and from that point on, they never got better no matter what I did. I attempted to take it for another year or two after that with horrible consequences and then I decided that it wasn't worth it for me. Pulsing the dose never helped me either. I don't see how it could be detox when I already detoxed on it, then all the symptoms returned.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/18/2012 7:43 pm

Yes. I tried it for over a year and followed all the instructions to a T (salt pushes, all the companion nutrients, etc)The breakouts and other horrible symptoms got better for a little while and then came back with a vengenance and from that point on, they never got better no matter what I did. I attempted to take it for another year or two after that with horrible consequences and then I decided that it wasn't worth it for me. Pulsing the dose never helped me either. I don't see how it could be detox when I already detoxed on it, then all the symptoms returned.

So did your skin clear after stopping the iodine?

And did you try it with a Paleo and/or a grain/dairy/sugar free diet at all?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/18/2012 7:46 pm

No, my skin did not clear. Iodine just drastically inflames the situation.

I've been a high-raw paleo dieter since 2011. I've been gluten free since 2007, and free of soy, corn, dairy and all processed foods/sugars since 2009.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/18/2012 8:08 pm

No, my skin did not clear. Iodine just drastically inflames the situation.

I've been a high-raw paleo dieter since 2011. I've been gluten free since 2007, and free of soy, corn, dairy and all processed foods/sugars since 2009.

Have you thought about upping your protein? I don't know what you're eating for protein if you're doing raw.............you might not be getting enough.

It's really hard for the body to heal without enough protein; you're supposed to have 1 gram per pound of bodyweight and beans and such have a lot of anti nutrients; don't know if you're eating those for protein......

Also, have you tried testing your hormones with saliva tests?

I just got one from my naturopath and am going to do it on my next cycle in a couple weeks but I'm pretty sure I'm estrogen dominant because I have almost every symtom and am only breaking out on my chin/jawline area.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/18/2012 8:23 pm

Oh I'm not a vegetarian. :) Hehe..not even close. I eat salmon, beef, turkey and eggs. I don't eat beans, not after a long period of attempting to eat them and getting worse.

How much do you pay for your saliva test? I'd be very interested in that! Thanks for all your suggestions!

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 12/08/2012 2:34 pm

Oh I'm not a vegetarian. smile.png Hehe..not even close. I eat salmon, beef, turkey and eggs. I don't eat beans, not after a long period of attempting to eat them and getting worse.

How much do you pay for your saliva test? I'd be very interested in that! Thanks for all your suggestions!

I paid $80 I think. I haven't taken it yet; I'm supposed to take it in the next 2 weeks.

How much iodine were you taking? I'm wondering if you weren't taking enough?