Notifications
Clear all

Birth Control For Hormonal Acne

MemberMember
(@tac390)

Posted : 11/05/2012 10:05 pm

So my acne consists of small, flesh colored bumps around my mouth and mostly my chin area. It's been like this for almost or just about a year now and has increasingly gotten worse. The area where I do have acne is slightly red JUST IN THAT AREA, which is around my mouth. Not cute. I'm almost positive this is hormonal. I started getting it around the time I had developed anxiety. Now that my anxiety has been gone for months, I want my acne to be gone! I started taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo about a month ago. I am not seeing much improvement but I know this is too soon to even tell. I've been told by my gynecologist that it will take three months for my body to adjust to the pills. I'm only 18 and having acne is the worst--especially from having flawless skin to this. It takes a toll on my self-esteem. If anyone has birth control stories DEALING WITH HORMONAL ACNE ONLY--please share! I also know that hormonal acne is usually either cystic or small comedones around the chin area. Also I have a pretty good diet. I take Vitamins E, C, Fish Oil, and Biotin everyday. I drink PLENTY of water--about five bottles daily. Drink at least a cup of green tea a day. And I eat healthy, with occasional sugar to satisfy my sweet tooth! I hardly ever drink milk. I heard that Zinc and Magnesium is good for your skin also. I'm thinking about buying them tomorrow. For skin care, I wash my face in the morning and at night only and I use a facial scrub once a week. Please people share your stories and help me out! I'm desperate.

KateLibby liked
MemberMember
(@casslz9)

Posted : 11/09/2012 12:52 pm

Hey! It seems like you have the same problem as I did. I had horrible hormonal acne around my mouth and jaw. I tried a lot of things (antibiotics, over the counter, vitamins, diet changes) and nothing helped. I did some thinking and research and realized that my acne got much much worse when I switched to a different birth control. It turns out that my birth control was too low in estrogen.

Generally, birth controls with higher estrogen doses are better for treating acne while lower does estrogen pills can aggravate acne. I switched my birth control from a generic version of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo to Tri-Sprintec, a generic Othro Tri-Cyclen. It took less than a month for me to see major improvements. I am currently on my 4th month and I have completely clear skin. Everyone responds to birth control differently but maybe you are having the same problem that I was having. Rather than continuing with Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, you may want to think about switching to Ortho Tri-Cyclen. Since you have only been on that pill for a month and your body takes a little while to adjust to the hormone changes, you could give it another month or two. However, I was on the low does estrogen pill for a year and my acne only got worse until I made the switch.

Hope this helps and good luck!!!

P.S. I took Zinc for 3 months and didn't see any improvements. If you are going to try it, make sure you take it on a full stomach.

KateLibby liked
MemberMember
(@katelibby)

Posted : 11/09/2012 1:16 pm

So my acne consists of small, flesh colored bumps around my mouth and mostly my chin area. It's been like this for almost or just about a year now and has increasingly gotten worse. The area where I do have acne is slightly red JUST IN THAT AREA, which is around my mouth. Not cute. I'm almost positive this is hormonal. I started getting it around the time I had developed anxiety. Now that my anxiety has been gone for months, I want my acne to be gone! I started taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo about a month ago. I am not seeing much improvement but I know this is too soon to even tell. I've been told by my gynecologist that it will take three months for my body to adjust to the pills. I'm only 18 and having acne is the worst--especially from having flawless skin to this. It takes a toll on my self-esteem. If anyone has birth control stories DEALING WITH HORMONAL ACNE ONLY--please share! I also know that hormonal acne is usually either cystic or small comedones around the chin area. Also I have a pretty good diet. I take Vitamins E, C, Fish Oil, and Biotin everyday. I drink PLENTY of water--about five bottles daily. Drink at least a cup of green tea a day. And I eat healthy, with occasional sugar to satisfy my sweet tooth! I hardly ever drink milk. I heard that Zinc and Magnesium is good for your skin also. I'm thinking about buying them tomorrow. For skin care, I wash my face in the morning and at night only and I use a facial scrub once a week. Please people share your stories and help me out! I'm desperate.

I agree with the above poster. My daughter started having bad acne at the age of 15. She went from almost flawless skin to horribly broken out. I took her to a gynecologist first because I was convinced her acne was hormonal. He wanted to give her yaz first but I was afraid for her to take it so he gave her ortho tri cyclen lo. A long time ago I took regular ortho tri cyclen when I was having horrible acne at the age of 25 and it cleared my skin, so I thought we would try the low version with her. I think doctors like to give younger girls lower estrogen pills first. Well, the ortho lo just did not work for her at all. Half way through the second month she started breaking out really bad. And each month it got worse and worse. I kept thinking lets give it more time, maybe her hormones just have to adjust. But each month it got worse and worse. So I took her back in month five and her gyno agreed she needed to switch to regular ortho tri cyclen. She immediately started to clear when we switched. The low just doesn't have enough estrogen. I suggest switching to the regular ortho tri cyclen. If it doesn't work for you then I would go to Yasmin.

I have seen ortho tri cyclen clear acne. It worked for me. It worked for a friend of my daughters also. My daughter at times has complete clearing. Sometimes she has 2 or 3 bumps. But before she had full blown acne. My daughter has a friend who cleared her acne with Yasmin also. And she had acne since 6th grade. Her acne was severe.

MemberMember
(@tac390)

Posted : 11/09/2012 1:42 pm

Hey! It seems like you have the same problem as I did. I had horrible hormonal acne around my mouth and jaw. I tried a lot of things (antibiotics, over the counter, vitamins, diet changes) and nothing helped. I did some thinking and research and realized that my acne got much much worse when I switched to a different birth control. It turns out that my birth control was too low in estrogen.

Generally, birth controls with higher estrogen doses are better for treating acne while lower does estrogen pills can aggravate acne. I switched my birth control from a generic version of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo to Tri-Sprintec, a generic Othro Tri-Cyclen. It took less than a month for me to see major improvements. I am currently on my 4th month and I have completely clear skin. Everyone responds to birth control differently but maybe you are having the same problem that I was having. Rather than continuing with Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, you may want to think about switching to Ortho Tri-Cyclen. Since you have only been on that pill for a month and your body takes a little while to adjust to the hormone changes, you could give it another month or two. However, I was on the low does estrogen pill for a year and my acne only got worse until I made the switch.

P.S. I took Zinc for 3 months and didn't see any improvements. If you are going to try it, make sure you take it on a full stomach.

Thank you for your story :) I am definitely gonna finish up with my second pack of this pill and see what happens. Hopefully this starts to help more if not I will be making the switch!

I agree with the above poster. My daughter started having bad acne at the age of 15. She went from almost flawless skin to horribly broken out. I took her to a gynecologist first because I was convinced her acne was hormonal. He wanted to give her yaz first but I was afraid for her to take it so he gave her ortho tri cyclen lo. A long time ago I took regular ortho tri cyclen when I was having horrible acne at the age of 25 and it cleared my skin, so I thought we would try the low version with her. I think doctors like to give younger girls lower estrogen pills first. Well, the ortho lo just did not work for her at all. Half way through the second month she started breaking out really bad. And each month it got worse and worse. I kept thinking lets give it more time, maybe her hormones just have to adjust. But each month it got worse and worse. So I took her back in month five and her gyno agreed she needed to switch to regular ortho tri cyclen. She immediately started to clear when we switched. The low just doesn't have enough estrogen. I suggest switching to the regular ortho tri cyclen. If it doesn't work for you then I would go to Yasmin.

I have seen ortho tri cyclen clear acne. It worked for me. It worked for a friend of my daughters also. My daughter at times has complete clearing. Sometimes she has 2 or 3 bumps. But before she had full blown acne. My daughter has a friend who cleared her acne with Yasmin also. And she had acne since 6th grade. Her acne was severe.

How long did it take for your daughter's skin to clear with OTC?

MemberMember
(@katelibby)

Posted : 11/10/2012 12:22 am

Thank you for your story :) I am definitely gonna finish up with my second pack of this pill and see what happens. Hopefully this starts to help more if not I will be making the switch!

How long did it take for your daughter's skin to clear with OTC?

As soon as she switched to the ortho tri cyclen regular from the lo she started to clear. In three months she was about completely clear. Her derm gave her clindamycin antibiotic topical lotion and that sped up the healing and clearing. You might want to ask for it. Good luck. Let us know how things go. Also, if you don't clear with ortho tri cyclen regular you might want to try Yasmin. My derm says he sees more success with it. My gyno agreed. But since ortho tri cyclen worked for me I wanted to try it for my daughter first. Ortho tri cyclen regular was the first to be FDA approved for acne. The studies were done on it. Not the lo

MemberMember
(@addie122)

Posted : 05/28/2015 2:04 pm

im gonna try this!

MemberMember
(@sassybanana4)

Posted : 08/11/2017 11:01 am

I just started ortho cyclen (mono-linaya) one month ago. It seems to have already helped a bit with PMS symptoms but not with my monthly breakouts. I only get cystic acne on my chin and a bit on my jawline- but nowhere else. It always appears 10ish days before my period starts and then it will go away after my period ends. I haven't had any bad side effects from the pill, but I'm hoping that it will start to control my acne. Any updates from people on this pill or tips about what else I can do?