Notifications
Clear all

Drinking On Accutane

MemberMember
(@sarahsskin27)

Posted : 11/05/2012 1:38 pm

I was just wondering what would happen if i were to drink alcohol on accutane? and if any of you have, what happened?

Sarah

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 11/05/2012 1:46 pm

You will have the worst hangover of your life and regret it more than anything for the next three days.

And you'd put your liver at serious disk of damage, and potentially having to stop taking Accutane if your bloods show it has been damaged severely.

One drink is okay, any more isn't. That's why they specifically tell you not to drink whilst taking it.

MemberMember
(@sarahsskin27)

Posted : 11/05/2012 1:58 pm

Ok definately not going to get drunk this saturday then, thank you x

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 11/05/2012 2:31 pm

Ok definately not going to get drunk this saturday then, thank you x

No worries :)

Literally, I have never regretted anything so much before, I was such an ill mess.

Just stick to a few :)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/05/2012 2:46 pm

I was just wondering what would happen if I were to drink alcohol on accutane? and if any of you have, what happened?

Sarah

Im going to be the devils advocate just for the sake of another opinion. Not that I am encouraging drinking or getting trashed while on tane. BUT.

I drank a handful of times while on Accutane, like 4 - 6 drinks each time. I drank beer, tequilla shots, and vodka, and wine, and margs. I didn't get drunk any faster or easier. I didn't get a hangover. I've heard quite a few people who claim like the poster above that they have the WORSE hangover ever. Or people get like black out drunk.

I talked to my dermatologist about this, and she said that she doesn't see a problem with drinking as long as you keep it to a minimum. She advised against binge drinking and told me drinking on special occasions would be OK. I stuck to that advise and I was fine. Blood results always came back within the good range. As a matter of fact, when I drink off accutane I almost always get a hangover. On accutane never a hangover.. odd.

Like I said I'm not giving you advice to go out and get drunk or anything. I just wanted to let you know my experience with this :)

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 11/05/2012 3:20 pm

This is probably not very helpful but my best friend was on Accutane and got drunk about five times during her course and reported no ill effects. I asked her about it a lot because I was desperate for Accutane but didn't want to be dry over christmas (the season of giving and drinking)

Obviously it's not medically recommended, this is just what I've heard!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 11/05/2012 10:39 pm

Getting drunk is a bad idea. Getting drunk on accutane is just plain stupid. One drink once in a while is fine but regularly consuming accutane is very taxing on your liver which is already being taxed by accutane. Alcohol on a whole is bad for the body and brain cells (unless we're talking about red wine which is beneficial in small amounts) which is very clear and visible with alcoholics:

They have difficulty with:

speech

memory

basic cognitive skills

muscle control (the shakes)

This is probably much deeper than your original question but it is food for thought.

MemberMember
(@dann2707)

Posted : 11/06/2012 12:54 pm

I've had about 2 heavy nights drinking in leeds and newcastle on nights out and the hangover the next day wasn't any different to normal. I'm on 55mg a day.

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 11/06/2012 1:14 pm

Trust the two Brits to advocate drinking!

Right, I'm going to have a gin and tonic or 'women's water' as I like to call it (sarcasm, another British trait)

MemberMember
(@sallysa)

Posted : 11/07/2012 10:28 am

I think they say to keep it to a minimum mainly because of your liver. Accutane is processed thru the liver - and it can be taxing on it. Alcohol is also processed thru your liver. If you do both, there's a greater chance of damage to your liver. Therefore, they say to avoid the alcohol.

MemberMember
(@taylor13)

Posted : 11/11/2012 9:54 pm

i'm gonna speak from personal experience here...i took accutane for about 7 months back in 2009 and i drank while on accutane. not allllll the time, but i would say about once or twice a month i would get drunk. i never had an issue, my labs always came back perfect. i didn't get crazy bad hangovers or anything like that. but also, i always drank A LOT of water while i was on accutane and especially if i knew i was going to be drinking that night/weekend/whatever. it's a personal decision, just make sure you stay hydrated and know that everything is better in moderation!

MemberMember
(@b552299g)

Posted : 11/13/2012 5:26 pm

If you can avoid it, do so. I drank once a week for the first 2 months, and months 3-5 or so There were weeks were i got hammered everyday at college. My blood was fine. I still drink 2-3 times per week but not a ton. My derm said as long as my blood work was fine and i wasn't going on "serious binges" I was fine. He said most of his patients are students and drink and are fine. That being said, the long term damage cant be seen. It is my one regret that I drank as heavily as I did, but no side effects thus far. If you can avoid it, do it. But getting drunk a few times won't kill you. I personally get drunk faster on it so be careful, but no change in hangover for me.

MemberMember
(@samnonamus)

Posted : 11/14/2012 11:46 pm

Been drinking about once a week on it (6 - 10 drinks, depending on the occasion) only problem has been my red dry eyes, that get alot worse after drinking. other then that no problems.

But Im kinda thinking of stoping accutance now because of my red eyes.

Drinking didnt cause the dry eyes, only made it worse.