Notifications
Clear all

Are Dermatologists Ever Hesitant To Perscribe Spiro?

MemberMember
(@vivigirl)

Posted : 11/02/2012 11:04 pm

I'm going to go see a dermatologist next week and was wondering if the dermatologist would give me a hard time about Spiro? Since its not specifically considered an acne medication...

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 11/03/2012 12:20 am

My dermatologist adamantly refused to give me a prescription for Spironolactone. I went to my Gynecologist after that, and asked for it, and she gave it to me without any hesitation. If your dermatologist does not want to give it to you, I would talk to your Gynecologist and see what she or he says.

MemberMember
(@loladiamonds)

Posted : 11/03/2012 9:07 am

My dermatologist adamantly refused to give me a prescription for Spironolactone. I went to my Gynecologist after that, and asked for it, and she gave it to me without any hesitation. If your dermatologist does not want to give it to you, I would talk to your Gynecologist and see what she or he says.

did it help out? how long have you been taking it?

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 11/04/2012 9:32 pm

A year this month I have been taking it. The first time I took it I was taking 50 and then 100mg and 100 mg nearly wiped out my all of my acne. It even eliminated the bumps on my back. I was bumped up to 150 mg about 10 days ago and already I am noticing that my hair and skin are less oily. It takes some trial and error for some people to find the right dosage but it's a pretty safe medication. Some people do get an initial breakout (I did) but after the three month mark, things should start to drastically improve.

MemberMember
(@baladii)

Posted : 11/06/2012 11:17 pm

Yeah, my dermatologist insisted that my acne was "not likely hormonal" because I wasn't experiencing other signs of a hormonal imbalance...I beg to fucking differ...I think I am going to get on this stuff.

SendMeAngels, do you or DID you have at least moderate acne? I know these terms are kind of ambiguous and all of our bodies are different, but I'm just curious. Thanks

MemberMember
(@vivigirl)

Posted : 12/17/2012 5:41 pm

So i went to the dermatologist with high hopes for spiro. The derm told me that she felt that my acne wasnt hormonal and that spiro wouldnt help. Right away she told me that she felt that accutane would be the best option. It does make me feel sad in a way that right away she said accutane, because most people have to fight to get accutane, but for me it was the derm really saying it was the best thing (just goes to show you how bad my skin really is). At the same time it gives me high hopes that my battle with acne will come to an end because accutane is so strong and also because i've read and heard great reviews. I've also heard bad reviews... (but at this point what do I have to lose right?)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/21/2012 10:29 pm

This is why I don't hesitate to be fairly obnoxious with doctors. They want you to pay out of the nose for an appointment just to tell you that they won't treat you in the way that YOU want to be treated. I call or show up in person and harass them until they tell me straight up what's going on...BEFORE I pay.

Same thing with trying to deal with finances when you're uninsured. You think if they're going to be billing you, they would know what their prices are. Every time I have asked for the visit fee for an uninsured patient, I practically have to threaten them to get the number. How do they bill it if they don't know their own consultation fee? Geeze.

Don't let them bully you with the "schedule an appointment and then we can answer your questions" crap. Go for the jugular cool.png If you don't want to be on Accutane, then find a different doctor. Call them up and say you want hormonal acne treatment with spiro. Keep bugging them until you talk to someone who gets it.