Notifications
Clear all

I Actually Don't Know What To Do Anymore.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 11/02/2012 12:12 pm

Hey, so I just wanted to start a thread about my feelings about not knowing how to clear my skin. I am actually so depressed at the moment it is unreal, I am withdrawing from everyone.

I just came back from the doctors, and she has prescribed me Adapalene 0.1% to try. She has also basically tried to convince me to go on the pill, which will be Dianette - however it actually just says co-cyprindiol on it? (I have already been on it before for about a year and a bit when I was younger) its a hard one sicne I was anorexic at the time taking it and then during my recovery I decided that I did not want any synthetic crap in my body so I just stopped taking it...then my period ceased for just under 2 years but came back in April this year and since then my acne has progressively goten worse. I just don't know whether to take the plunge or not with this pill...I am getting blood tests on Monday morning to test my hormone levels also, but to be totally honest I don't really know where to go with that. Doctors really seem to just want to put me on anti-biotics and shit, but I refuse it because I am terrified it will get worse after the coarse is over. She said she could refer me to a Derm who would then prescribe me Ro-accutane...which is not something I want to go on either.

I am just completely at a loss about what the hell to do, I do genuinely believe my acne is hormonal, Im not getting these little tiny spots around the sides of my nose and also like underneath my eyes. I have recently stopped taking caffeine as it was something I drank every single day, I eat limited dairy like 2 Activia yoghurts a week and perhaps a bit of milk in a hot chocolate if I fancy "treating" myself every couple weeks. I do eat well, well I try to eat well, I don't eat any take-away food or anything, I cook my own meals, eat alot of ruit and vegetables...I do eat eggs so I dunno if that's maybe something to look out for. Im just so friggin' low, I cannot stand to be near anyone anymore, I just always feel as though people are looking at my skin, Im fucking fed up of this, Im 21 and shouldn't be worrying endlessly about this.

Im really sorry for a total depressive post but I don't really have people in my life who actually understand what this is like.

MemberMember
(@abybar)

Posted : 11/02/2012 12:20 pm

Have you considered doing the regimen if you havent done it already ??

My acne is hormonal. Ive had acne for about 10 years now with it being the worst now and i just started Dans regimen two weeks ago and i can honestly say to you that it is helping my skin tremendously.

However, i still have yet to see how my skin reacts when my menstrual approaches. Thats usually when i get horrendous breakouts.

By looking at your skin you seem like a good candiate for the regimen. I breakout with cystic acne and the BP has helped me out a lot.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/02/2012 12:36 pm

If you truly feel your acne is hormonal, you gotta go allllll the way with diet. It is very difficult- but if you truly want to clear your acne for good you've got to go 100% (people here can tell you this). Completely cut out caffeine, it messes with adrenals which control hormone production. Drink DECAF green tea once or twice daily. Completely cut out sugar.

Go for the paleo diet, which eliminates all common allergens and irritants (this is optimal for clearing, unless you are a vegetarian and don't want to give it up). This means: NO dairy, NO grains (not even stuff like rice), NO antibiotic or hormone meat, only grass fed, NO sugar to eliminate insulin sensitivity which screws with hormones.

Drink 8 glasses of water a day.

Exercise a few times a week.

Take fish oil and zinc.

The acne.org regimen did work for me- but it was a temporary fix. Benzoyl peroxide does more harm than help in the longrun and its just a bandaid covering up the actual problem. I'm on a mission to cure this the natural way. I recommend cutting out ALL facial care products. Rinse face twice a day with lukewarm water and honey and pat dry. This will balance skin PH and allow it to heal itself without completely going cold turkey and using nothing on your face.

Many, many people have cleared their hormonal acne like the way I listed above- I'm doing it, and I believe you can too...but you have to believe in yourself...

Keep your chin up you can do this!!!!!!!!

-Fellow acne sufferer.

MemberMember
(@abybar)

Posted : 11/02/2012 1:07 pm

If you truly feel your acne is hormonal, you gotta go allllll the way with diet. It is very difficult- but if you truly want to clear your acne for good you've got to go 100% (people here can tell you this). Completely cut out caffeine, it messes with adrenals which control hormone production. Drink DECAF green tea once or twice daily. Completely cut out sugar.

Go for the paleo diet, which eliminates all common allergens and irritants (this is optimal for clearing, unless you are a vegetarian and don't want to give it up). This means: NO dairy, NO grains (not even stuff like rice), NO antibiotic or hormone meat, only grass fed, NO sugar to eliminate insulin sensitivity which screws with hormones.

Take fish oil and zinc.

The acne.org regimen did work for me- but it was a temporary fix. Benzoyl peroxide does more harm than help in the longrun and its just a bandaid covering up the actual problem. I'm on a mission to cure this the natural way. I recommend cutting out ALL facial care products. Rinse face twice a day with lukewarm water and honey and pat dry. This will balance skin PH and allow it to heal itself without completely going cold turkey and using nothing on your face.

Many, many people have cleared their hormonal acne like the way I listed above- I'm doing it, and I believe you can too...but you have to believe in yourself...

-Fellow acne sufferer.

I like how your giving her some advice on changing her diet and what works for you may not work for others. I've been on a rigorous diet for almost 2 years now with no grains, no sugar, no gluten, processed food, only organic chicken and fish. with berries and vegetables only. The only thing the diet did was made me lose like 20 lbs. and it did not clear my acne. However, im not saying that a strict diet wont help her, it might in fact help her but she has to address the internal cause and at the same time the external.

For example, commit to a strict diet like the poster above me mentioned and also use something like bp to kill the p.acnes. A combination of both is more likely to help at a more efficient pace.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/02/2012 1:12 pm

Take fish oil and zinc.

-Fellow acne sufferer.

I like how your giving her some advice on changing her diet and what works for you may not work for others. I've been on a rigorous diet for almost 2 years now with no grains, no sugar, no gluten, processed food, only organic chicken and fish. with berries and vegetables only. The only thing the diet did was made me lose like 20 lbs. and it did not clear my acne. However, im not saying that a strict diet wont help her, it might in fact help her but she has to address the internal cause and at the same time the external.

For example, commit to a strict diet like the poster above me mentioned and also use something like bp to kill the p.acnes. A combination of both is more likely to help at a more efficient pace.

The advice I'm giving can only help her (drastically)- not harm her. As you know, cutting out sugar, dairy and grain has internal benefits of its own, even if it doesn't work on acne. I'm recommending it because its worth millions to give it a shot- and of course I recognize that not everything works for everyone. But that's what this site is about- sharing helpful tokens of advice.

I agree with you, an outside regimen and inside regimen is the key. But lately I've been reading a lot about the caveman regimen (not washing face at all) and all the success people have had. It got me thinking: yeah, the skin is created to heal itself....and yeah...my acne did get a lot worse when I started introducing it to products. The PH balance theory is really intriguing so now I'm more of an advocate of a really simplistic PH balancing exterior regimen than anything harsh (like I said I tried the acne.org regimen and it 'worked' but did not 'cure.')

Right now I'm rinsing with honey twice a day......the antibacterial properties of honey kill bacteria....but balance the PH of the skin at the same time. No toner or moisturizer and I'm hoping my skin will balance out on its own.

Cheers to all of ya'll on this radical journey of finding what works best for each of us.

MemberMember
(@abybar)

Posted : 11/02/2012 1:25 pm

Take fish oil and zinc.

-Fellow acne sufferer.

The advice I'm giving can only help her (drastically)- not harm her. As you know, cutting out sugar, dairy and grain has internal benefits of its own, even if it doesn't work on acne. I'm recommending it because its worth millions to give it a shot- and of course I recognize that not everything works for everyone. But that's what this site is about- sharing helpful tokens of advice.

I agree with you, an outside regimen and inside regimen is the key. But lately I've been reading a lot about the caveman regimen (not washing face at all) and all the success people have had. It got me thinking: yeah, the skin is created to heal itself....and yeah...my acne did get a lot worse when I started introducing it to products. The PH balance theory is really intriguing so now I'm more of an advocate of a really simplistic PH balancing exterior regimen than anything harsh (like I said I tried the acne.org regimen and it 'worked' but did not 'cure.')

Right now I'm rinsing with honey twice a day......the antibacterial properties of honey kill bacteria....but balance the PH of the skin at the same time. No toner or moisturizer and I'm hoping my skin will balance out on its own.

Cheers to all of ya'll on this radical journey of finding what works best for each of us.

Awesome ! Thats really Brave and Admirable of you for going on the caveman approach. I on the other and could not do it because i have extremely oily skin and not cleansing would clog my pores.

I agree with the PH balance for our skin and disturbing its balance makes it prone for bacteria infections. So it is critical and indeed our skin depends on a balnced PH.

Hopefully we can all overcome acne some time soon.

DIET AND A STRONG REGIMEN IS BOUND TO KNOCK ACNE OUT THE PARK :D

*cheers everyone

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 11/02/2012 1:39 pm

Thankyou for the advice. Really I do appreciate it. I have not used Dans regimen no, not exactly. I have tried countless topicals for my skin over the years, recently it was azelaic acid but to be honest I have not noticed that much of an improvement. Duac did work for me, I know thats a topical anti-biotic and benzoyl peroxide 2.5% - but after a year and a half it completely lost its effect.

Currently what I am doing is washing my face with water only, and then toning it with organic ACV. Then I will treat my skin with teatree oil or lavender oil. I am obviously feeling a bit apprehensive about this Adapalene, I think it is a retinoid so I am not sure what effect it would have on my skin, it says apply it at night thinly...I don't use any cleansers as I have yet to find one which does not irritate my skin. I have sensitive, combination skin.

I am feeling that the pill may help, but then again I am still a bit unsure.

I know I could go 100% with my diet, I do. And I also know that what works for others may not work for everybody else...obviously its probably too early to tell about cutting out caffeine since it has only been a week so far. I don't consume any sugar. I went a whole two months without dairy like even ilk but I did not notice significant changes, I mostly only had milk in my tea which I drank daily, but now I have obviously cut out tea therefore I am not taking in as much milk, I actually have not had any milk for about a week but even then I was only taking a splash of it daily...we will see how that goes.

I do genuienly believe in holistic approaches, and I am trying to accept it in a way, and also I am trying to learn patience. Patience is a hard one. I think it is because I am so depressed at the moment. It is horrible, I hate how some people think that acne is not a big problem to be depressed about but it friggin is..I mean its all you see.

MemberMember
(@fullofgrace)

Posted : 11/02/2012 4:16 pm

apparently lavender is an irritant...so i would not use it on your face. have you tried argan oil? that cleared me up and there are many success stories you can find on the internet

MemberMember
(@charlotte-k)

Posted : 11/03/2012 1:17 pm

It's good to see that you've made some adjustments to your diet, but it may not be quite enough and long enough to achieve the desired results. I have a link to a clinical report that clearly illustrates a link between certain foods and acne.

Acne vulgaris is a pretty devastating condition especially if it is on your face. I understand where you are coming from. I hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/13/2012 8:37 pm

So are you totally against taking pills? Have you tried or thought about spironolactone? They have different dosages so as little as 25mg or 100mg can clear you. Ive been on spiro for a whole (I also don't like antibiotics) and I haven't really had any bad side effects. I didn't get an initial breakout either. And I also use acv and it does make your skin glow.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 11/16/2012 10:33 am

So are you totally against taking pills? Have you tried or thought about spironolactone? They have different dosages so as little as 25mg or 100mg can clear you. Ive been on spiro for a whole (I also don't like antibiotics) and I haven't really had any bad side effects. I didn't get an initial breakout either. And I also use acv and it does make your skin glow.

I think I would rather do what I can before resorting to pills. My only fear with birth control is if I ever come off it, like to start having a family or whatever, and the idea of it returning worse than it is now. Also my doctor told me that she would only have me on the Diannette pill until my skin clears and then take me off it.

I can't get spiro since I live in the UK, I don't know how else I could get it. Ive heard alot of people fro mthe UK struggling to get it with dermatologists. Although spiro does sound like a very good option.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/16/2012 8:32 pm

Yeah I understand we're your coming from. Although it is possible by the time you'd go off the birth control you could be finished with acne? As in your stage in life with acne would be naturally have run it's coarse. But yes, if you get a chance I highly reccomend spironolactone. I usually get side effects with antibiotics etc but none from this! I personally didn't have an ib but I was also battling perioral dermatitis at the time I started

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 11/16/2012 9:14 pm

I love black soap personally and sometimes I use a sulfur soap. They're both listed on my signature and have helped me immensely. But if you're looking for a drug store brand cleanser I would go with Clean & Clear foaming facial cleanser for sensitive skin.

I have extremely oily, sensitive skin and these have helped me so much. You have to remain mild with your skin, I used to use ACV but I found it way too irritating.

I hope you find the right cleanser and regimen for you and maybe your doctor knows exactly what will help you, who knows. Good luck. :)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/21/2012 10:52 pm

Hey, so I just wanted to start a thread about my feelings about not knowing how to clear my skin. I am actually so depressed at the moment it is unreal, I am withdrawing from everyone.

I just came back from the doctors, and she has prescribed me Adapalene 0.1% to try. She has also basically tried to convince me to go on the pill, which will be Dianette - however it actually just says co-cyprindiol on it? (I have already been on it before for about a year and a bit when I was younger) its a hard one sicne I was anorexic at the time taking it and then during my recovery I decided that I did not want any synthetic crap in my body so I just stopped taking it...then my period ceased for just under 2 years but came back in April this year and since then my acne has progressively goten worse. I just don't know whether to take the plunge or not with this pill...I am getting blood tests on Monday morning to test my hormone levels also, but to be totally honest I don't really know where to go with that. Doctors really seem to just want to put me on anti-biotics and shit, but I refuse it because I am terrified it will get worse after the coarse is over. She said she could refer me to a Derm who would then prescribe me Ro-accutane...which is not something I want to go on either.

I am just completely at a loss about what the hell to do, I do genuinely believe my acne is hormonal, Im not getting these little tiny spots around the sides of my nose and also like underneath my eyes. I have recently stopped taking caffeine as it was something I drank every single day, I eat limited dairy like 2 Activia yoghurts a week and perhaps a bit of milk in a hot chocolate if I fancy "treating" myself every couple weeks. I do eat well, well I try to eat well, I don't eat any take-away food or anything, I cook my own meals, eat alot of ruit and vegetables...I do eat eggs so I dunno if that's maybe something to look out for. Im just so friggin' low, I cannot stand to be near anyone anymore, I just always feel as though people are looking at my skin, Im fucking fed up of this, Im 21 and shouldn't be worrying endlessly about this.

Im really sorry for a total depressive post but I don't really have people in my life who actually understand what this is like.

If it's hormonal, then treat it hormonally. If you want to piddle around with your diet, be my guest, it's just never worked for me, and I'm healthier and more active than most people I know...and I'm friends with a lot of skinny and healthy and active people :P

Hormonal options are varied. Generally women end up with one of the following:

1) Birth controls with low androgenic progestin

2) Anti-androgens, like Spironolactone (prescription) or Saw Palmetto (natural herb)

3) Bioidentical hormone therapy (progesterone and estrogen supplementation)

There's a lot of info on these boards about it already.

Dianette works very, very well for most of the acne patients who take it. I understand what you mean, many doctors I have been to don't have a clue, but the recommendation for Dianette was right on target.

Remember that hormone correction takes time. You will be waiting 6 months to see full results from Dianette.