Notifications
Clear all

Best Foundation For Acne-Prone And Dry Skin?

MemberMember
(@emt813)

Posted : 11/01/2012 4:20 pm

Hey guys,

I have never been one to wear a lot of makeup. Before I started struggling with acne, I used GloMinerals powder for special occasions. When I started getting acne seven months ago, I was afraid to use makeup because I didn't want to make the issue even worse. My skin is doing somewhat better, I'm still getting a few new blemishes weekly and I have a handful of post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation spots (that have faded really well after I received Cosmedix's blueberry jessner peel at my derm's office!), but I am still unhappy with my skin and searching for a great foundation that will conceal any spots I have without clogging my pores and making the situation worse. My dermatologist sells Jane Iredale mineral makeup, but a nurse in her office recommended Clinique to me. Most of the makeup that I own (eyeshadows, eyeliners, lipglosses, and a powder bronzer) is Bobbi Brown and I do have a bottle of their tinted moisturizer but it is way too dark for my pale winter skin (that's what I get for having them match my color in May!) and I'm afraid it might not be acne-friendly anyways. A friend warned me that GloMinerals powder clogged her pores and I actually think I need something liquid because, with the weather change and my prescription acne treatments, my skin is pretty dry and flaky! I have read great things about Koh Gen Do foundation, but, unfortunately, I don't have access to a store that sells it and I'm not sure how well I'd be able to match my color if I ordered it online. Let me know what you all think!

MemberMember
(@starrynight07)

Posted : 11/02/2012 1:09 am

I really like Almay TLC (Truly Lasting Color) liquid foundation. It gives nice medium coverage and doesn't make my skin dry and flaky. It's also the only makeup that doesn't cause breakouts on me. I've noticed that mineral/powder foundations make my skin so dry and cause extreme flakiness. I've pretty much given up on mineral makeup haha. I like the Almay foundation because it's also affordable and can be found in a lot of stores, such as Wal-Mart and Target. No need to order online or drive to your nearest Sephora. My nearest Sephora is 40 miles away :(

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 11/03/2012 9:15 pm

If you don't need a ton of coverage, I love Everyday Minerals. I've had to switch to Makeup Forever recently because my acne became severe due to hormonal changes (I went off birth control) and haven't found any mineral makeup that covers well enough. But as soon as my skin is better I'll be switching back to Everyday Minerals. I love it, and it never broke me out.

MemberMember
(@hunyeo)

Posted : 11/04/2012 8:58 pm

Have anyone tried koh gen doh foundation? I ran out og my makeup forever and this was my moms.. Oddly enuf it had a nice coverage..

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 11/07/2012 6:43 am

I tried Bare Minerals recently and it literally covered nothing, not even tiny blemishes. It was like I'd put nothing on.

When I'm clear or almost clear I really like Barry M's base in the shade light, because it matches my skin really well. It's pretty much light-medium coverage though, and it doesn't build up very well.

Most of the time I stick with Max Factor's Lasting Performance liquid foundation in fair. I tap it in with my fingers instead of rubbing and I use it as a conealer when the first coat has dried a little bit. It can give any kind of coverage depending on what you want and how you use it and it's a fairly good match for my incredibly pale skin. It doesn't seem to break me out in any areas I'm not already breaking out in unless I leave it on for unnecessary amounts of time.

MemberMember
(@haileym17)

Posted : 11/25/2012 12:49 am

clinique, bare minerals (unless your skin is very oily), lorac

MemberMember
(@onlyskindeep)

Posted : 11/25/2012 5:05 am

Palladio dual wet/dry compact foundation. Great coverage, looks natural, good ingedients. JMO.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/10/2013 8:30 pm

Jane iredale loose powder foundation really helped my skin heal while I was using it, something that clinique never did for me. But the jane iredale powder has a tendency to sit on top of the skin and look cakey in areas with large pores, so it will definitely be noticeable that you are wearing makeup. Right now I use smashbox although I'm aware it's not the best option for my skin

MemberMember
(@ceebee25)

Posted : 01/24/2013 4:23 am

I really like L'oreal Infallible foundation. It's a medium coverage foundation but feels so light on the skin, that's what I love about it! I have combination skin and I find it to be very moisturising on my dry patches, and I just use a pressed powder on my oiler areas to keep it shine free. I apply it with a flat top foundation brush and just stipple it over the areas that need a bit more coverage such as redness or scars.

MemberMember
(@thirdtaneacharm)

Posted : 03/15/2013 3:36 am

Tarte Amazonian Clay line - 110% can't recommend it enough. I am wearing it before & after in my picture. wub.png

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 03/15/2013 10:53 pm

Personally, I like and use Revlon Whipped Colorstay, decent coverage, fragrance free, natural finish, a little bit goes a long way.

I heard Almay makes the best make up for acne prone skin...And I've tried using the True Lasting foundation but the color selection is HORRIBLE.

I am pale, but their darkest color is still lighter than my skin tone.

So if your skin tone is very pale, then try looking into Almay.

Most of all, I've tried most drugstore foundations, like Loreal, Rimmel, Almay etc, can't recall all their names, but I tried well over 4 different brands.

And still returned all of them and kept my Revlon

* Though I am very interested in the Amazonian Clay foundation, it sounds really appealing to me. gasp.gif