Notifications
Clear all

Who Has Had Success With A Gluten-Free And Dairy-Free Diet?

MemberMember
(@emt813)

Posted : 11/01/2012 2:19 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new to this website but I was hoping to get some feedback regarding gluten-free/dairy-free diets. A little background about me: Skip to the end if you're not interested in hearing my long, boring acne story! I'm twenty years old and up until seven to eight months ago I had never struggled with acne. I always took very good care of my skin (which tends to be on the drier side) and neither of my parents struggled with acne growing up so I never imagined that I would be going through this hell. In the beginning of this past March I chose to go off of Yaz (which I had been on and off of for a little over three years with no issues) because I'm a few pounds heavier on the pill and wanted to feel more confident at the pool this summer. Unfortunately, by the beginning of April I started noticing a few inflamed pimples on my chin. I shrugged it off and figured that my hormones were just adjusting to being off of the pill.

However, by the end of May, my forehead was covered in non-inflamed closed comedones and I continued to get a couple inflamed bumps on my chin every month. My acne was mild, but after having perfectly clear skin my entire life, I had very little patience for it and decided to go back on Yaz. My gynecologist and dermatologist both told me that it typically takes a full three months on birth control to see results with acne. In the beginning of August, I had taken two packs of Yaz but my acne wasn't budging. I decided to find a new dermatologist, a doctor who is well-known in our community, and she prescribed me Differin cream for the closed comedones on my forehead. Since then, I have been applying a thin layer of Differin on my forehead every night. During the first two months, I did experience some purging but the results have been well worth it. My forehead is soft and clear, minus some faint marks in between my eyebrows that really aren't noticeable unless you're super close to my face.

However, while my forehead was clearing up, my jawline took a turn for the worse. At the end of August (during the last week of my third pack back on Yaz), I woke up to find ten inflamed pimples along my jawline, more than I had ever had at once. These pimples were not just your run-of-the-mill little whiteheads, they were deep, sore, red cysts and they hurt even worse than they looked. My first instinct was to get upset but after talking to my gynecologist, I calmed myself down with the thought that my skin might be going through its' "worse before it gets better" stage and my perfect complexion was right around the corner. Unfortunately, I continued to get two to four new pimples a week after the breakout from hell, with usually one or two of them being cystic. I added Aczone to my nightly routine, applying it to my chin and along my jawline in hopes of reducing the inflammatory lesions that plagued my skin each week. At the end of September, I wasn't getting quite as many cysts (maybe one or two a week instead of three or four) but my derm recognized how devastated and depressed I was and decided to put me on Doryx after diagnosing me with a mild patch of perioral dermatitis in one corner of my nose, saying that the antibiotic would help with my inflamed acne as well as the dermatitis and (hopefully!) kill two birds with one stone.

After two weeks on Doryx (which I believe is low-dose doxycycline), I asked my dermatologist to switch me to Spironolactone, which had been her initial suggestion before seeing the dermatitis. Because I had noticed that my breakouts tend to follow the pattern of my monthly cycle, it seemed like a good idea to get to the root of my acne (which I think may be hormones) instead of just putting a bandaid on it by taking antibiotics, which can't be taken in the longterm anyways. I have been on Spironolactone for four and a half weeks. The first two and a half weeks I took 25 mg every morning, but for the past two weeks I have been taking 50 mg every morning. My potassium levels are normal and I haven't experienced any side effects beside being a little extra thirsty and significantly drier skin on my face and hands (which could also be attributed to the weather change, but either way, it's easily combated with moisturizer). I also got a facial and Cosmedix's blueberry jessner peel at my dermatologist's office two weeks ago. The esthetician did a great job with extractions and the chemical peel did improve my skin texture and tone.

Start reading here for the summarized version! In short, while I feel like my acne is improving with the help of Yaz, Spironolactone, Differin, and (possibly) Aczone, I am still getting at least one or two new bumps every week. I am extremely discouraged this week because I woke up with a cyst on my cheek a few days ago, and I truly thought that cysts were a thing of the past for me since I had not had one in almost a month. I have been doing a lot of reading on gluten and dairy's relationships with acne, and I should mention that I have been cutting out approx. 90% of the dairy in my diet for about two months. However, I have noticed that my breakouts aren't necessarily following the pattern of my monthly cycle (which may suggest that hormones might not necessarily be the only cause of my breakouts) and I have been experiencing other symptoms of gluten intolerance such as bloating, cramping, depression, and lack of energy. I'm trying to stay positive but its' been a long seven months for me and I'm becoming increasingly impatient. Please let me know if you have any experience with gluten-free and/or dairy-free diets, good or bad. I am starting to get a little desperate and would appreciate any advice you all have to give!

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 11/01/2012 5:00 pm

Here's what did a LOT of good for me... avoiding dairy, red meat, processed sugar, and caffeine, combined with regular non-irritating water cleansing and application of a bit of Dan's BP every other night. A side note - I don't avoid dairy entirely, I still have homemade kefir twice a day, five days a week. Following this regimen for only a couple weeks led to all my bacne shrinking into nonexistence, and resulted in maybe one or two new pimples total on my face (small, "normal person" pimples for that matter, as opposed to the deep cysts that many chronic acne sufferers are accustomed to). I was still eating bread and pasta, so I wasn't nearly gluten-free, but hey, maybe I'm just not gluten-sensitive.

If you're going to start cutting things out of your diet, you may end up turning to supplements to get those vitamins you think you might be lacking. From personal experience, I'd tell you to steer clear and try to get all the DV's of important vitamins from your food, as large vitamin doses seem to only have negative impacts on my skin (niacin = flushing, B12 = cysts around mouth, zinc = painful cysts all over). It's up to you, however. Different people react differently.

The aforementioned regimen really was ideal for me, and if I'd only stuck with it consistently I'm convinced I wouldn't even be on these forums anymore. However, in the past year I've done way too much "experimentation" as to what I can and can't eat. I'd reintroduced sugar and dairy many times, with horrible results. I went back to cleanser / moisturizer / BP twice a day and my face was continuously red, shiny, and irritated to no end. I avoided washing entirely and ended up with dermatitis. And, as I mentioned, I tried several supplements, and boy did I regret it.

So, long story short, don't overcomplicate things. Avoid too many topicals, they just weaken your skin... but staying on topic... a dairy-free diet is definitely the way to go. Also consider eliminating red meat, processed sugar, and caffeine. Some of my personal diet suggestions:

> Get your carbs from brown rice.

> Get your essential fats from nuts... specifically walnuts, almonds, macadamia (I'd recommend fish, but personally I've gotten wary of it ever since I discovered salmon was loaded in B12).

> Eat lots of fruits and veggies... that should be a no-brainer, lol

> Some "magic" skin goods to consider are raw carrots (I eat a bunch of raw baby carrots with every meal), blueberries, kidney beans and collard greens. Collard greens coupled with a fortified lactose-free milk are a good way to get your daily calcium requirement without resorting to supplements.

> If you're eating red meat, switch to chicken (breasts preferably).

> If you're a vegetarian, then get your protein from beans. Kidney beans are great, as mentioned.

> Invest in a gluten-free, naturally sweetened, fortified breakfast cereal (I've gotten into Chex recently) and add any lactose-free milk (almond, rice... I'd avoid soy because that there's a whole 'nother set of possible intolerances, lol) to get some of your essential vitamins taken care of.

> Also consider V8 juice (the low-sodium vegetable variety), it's amazing. I have a mug with every meal.

> Try decaf green tea (another supposedly "magic" skin food, but I just happen to love the taste of green tea).

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/01/2012 5:26 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new to this website but I was hoping to get some feedback regarding gluten-free/dairy-free diets. A little background about me: Skip to the end if you're not interested in hearing my long, boring acne story! I'm twenty years old and up until seven to eight months ago I had never struggled with acne. I always took very good care of my skin (which tends to be on the drier side) and neither of my parents struggled with acne growing up so I never imagined that I would be going through this hell. In the beginning of this past March I chose to go off of Yaz (which I had been on and off of for a little over three years with no issues) because I'm a few pounds heavier on the pill and wanted to feel more confident at the pool this summer. Unfortunately, by the beginning of April I started noticing a few inflamed pimples on my chin. I shrugged it off and figured that my hormones were just adjusting to being off of the pill.

However, by the end of May, my forehead was covered in non-inflamed closed comedones and I continued to get a couple inflamed bumps on my chin every month. My acne was mild, but after having perfectly clear skin my entire life, I had very little patience for it and decided to go back on Yaz. My gynecologist and dermatologist both told me that it typically takes a full three months on birth control to see results with acne. In the beginning of August, I had taken two packs of Yaz but my acne wasn't budging. I decided to find a new dermatologist, a doctor who is well-known in our community, and she prescribed me Differin cream for the closed comedones on my forehead. Since then, I have been applying a thin layer of Differin on my forehead every night. During the first two months, I did experience some purging but the results have been well worth it. My forehead is soft and clear, minus some faint marks in between my eyebrows that really aren't noticeable unless you're super close to my face.

However, while my forehead was clearing up, my jawline took a turn for the worse. At the end of August (during the last week of my third pack back on Yaz), I woke up to find ten inflamed pimples along my jawline, more than I had ever had at once. These pimples were not just your run-of-the-mill little whiteheads, they were deep, sore, red cysts and they hurt even worse than they looked. My first instinct was to get upset but after talking to my gynecologist, I calmed myself down with the thought that my skin might be going through its' "worse before it gets better" stage and my perfect complexion was right around the corner. Unfortunately, I continued to get two to four new pimples a week after the breakout from hell, with usually one or two of them being cystic. I added Aczone to my nightly routine, applying it my chin and along my jawline in hopes of reducing the inflammatory lesions that plagued my skin each week. At the end of September, I wasn't getting quite as many cysts (maybe one or two a week instead of three or four) but my derm recognized how devastated and depressed I was and decided to put me on Doryx after diagnosing me with a mild patch of perioral dermatitis in one corner of my nose, saying that the antibiotic would help with my inflamed acne as well as the dermatitis and (hopefully!) kill two birds with one stone.

After two weeks on the Doryx (which I believe is low-dose doxycycline), I asked my dermatologist to put me on Spironolactone, which had been her initial suggestion before seeing the dermatitis. Because I had noticed that my breakouts tend to follow the pattern of my monthly cycle, it seemed like a good idea to get to the root of my acne (which I think may be hormones) instead of just putting a bandaid on it by taking antibiotics, which can't be taken in the longterm anyways. I have been on Spironolactone for four and a half weeks. The first two and a half weeks I took 25 mg every morning, but for the past two weeks I have been taking 50 mg every morning. My potassium levels are normal and I haven't experienced any side effects beside being a little extra thirsty and significantly drier skin on my face and hands (which could also be attributed to the weather change, but either way, it's easily combated with moisturizer). I also got a facial and Cosmedix's blueberry jessner peel at my dermatologist's office two weeks ago. The esthetician did a great job with extractions and the chemical peel did improve my skin texture and tone.

Start reading here for the summarized version! In short, while I feel like my acne is improving with the help of Yaz, Spironolactone, Differin, and (possibly) Aczone, I am still getting at least one or two new bumps every week. I am extremely discouraged this week because I woke up with a cyst on my cheek a few days ago, and I truly thought that cysts were a thing of the past for me since I had not had one in almost a month. I have been doing a lot of reading on gluten and dairy's relationships with acne, and I should mention that I have been cutting out approx. 90% of the dairy in my diet for about two months. However, I have noticed that my breakouts aren't necessarily following the pattern of my monthly cycle (which may suggest that hormones might not necessarily be the only cause of my breakouts) and I have been experiencing other symptoms of gluten intolerance such as bloating, cramping, depression, and lack of energy. I'm trying to stay positive but its' been a long seven months for me and I'm becoming increasingly impatient. Please let me know if you have any experience with gluten-free and/or dairy-free diets, good or bad. I am starting to get a little desperate and would appreciate any advice you all have to give!

I mean this in the best possible way.

If you think there is a link to your acne by coming off the pill then why no go back on the pill, take better care of your diet and start working out if you want to look better for the pool?

MemberMember
(@emt813)

Posted : 11/01/2012 5:42 pm

If you think there is a link to your acne by coming off the pill then why no go back on the pill, take better care of your diet and start working out if you want to look better for the pool?

I know my post was pretty lengthy and probably confusing but I actually AM back on the pill. I was off of it for three months from March to May, began taking it again at the beginning of June, and am now on my sixth pack. I also eat relatively healthy with the exception of an occasional dessert and exercise daily. But I definitely am paying extra attention to my diet these days! Thanks for your advice.

MemberMember
(@emt813)

Posted : 11/01/2012 6:02 pm

Here's what did a LOT of good for me... avoiding dairy, red meat, processed sugar, and caffeine, combined with regular non-irritating water cleansing and application of a bit of Dan's BP every other night. A side note - I don't avoid dairy entirely, I still have homemade kefir twice a day, five days a week. Following this regimen for only a couple weeks led to all my bacne shrinking into nonexistence, and resulted in maybe one or two new pimples total on my face (small, "normal person" pimples for that matter, as opposed to the deep cysts that many chronic acne sufferers are accustomed to). I was still eating bread and pasta, so I wasn't nearly gluten-free, but hey, maybe I'm just not gluten-sensitive.

If you're going to start cutting things out of your diet, you may end up turning to supplements to get those vitamins you think you might be lacking. From personal experience, I'd tell you to steer clear and try to get all the DV's of important vitamins from your food, as large vitamin doses seem to only have negative impacts on my skin (niacin = flushing, B12 = cysts around mouth, zinc = painful cysts all over). It's up to you, however. Different people react differently.

The aforementioned regimen really was ideal for me, and if I'd only stuck with it consistently I'm convinced I wouldn't even be on these forums anymore. However, in the past year I've done way too much "experimentation" as to what I can and can't eat. I'd reintroduced sugar and dairy many times, with horrible results. I went back to cleanser / moisturizer / BP twice a day and my face was continuously red, shiny, and irritated to no end. I avoided washing entirely and ended up with dermatitis. And, as I mentioned, I tried several supplements, and boy did I regret it.

So, long story short, don't overcomplicate things. Avoid too many topicals, they just weaken your skin... but staying on topic... a dairy-free diet is definitely the way to go. Also consider eliminating red meat, processed sugar, and caffeine. Some of my personal diet suggestions:

> Get your essential fats from nuts... specifically walnuts, almonds, macadamia (I'd recommend fish, but personally I've gotten wary of it ever since I discovered salmon was loaded in B12).

> Some "magic" skin goods to consider are raw carrots (I eat a bunch of raw baby carrots with every meal), blueberries, kidney beans and collard greens. Collard greens coupled with a fortified lactose-free milk are a good way to get your daily calcium requirement without resorting to supplements.

> If you're a vegetarian, then get your protein from beans. Kidney beans are great, as mentioned.

> Invest in a gluten-free, naturally sweetened, fortified breakfast cereal (I've gotten into Chex recently) and add any lactose-free milk (almond, rice... I'd avoid soy because that there's a whole 'nother set of possible intolerances, lol) to get some of your essential vitamins taken care of.

> Also consider V8 juice (the low-sodium vegetable variety), it's amazing. I have a mug with every meal.

> Try decaf green tea (another supposedly "magic" skin food, but I just happen to love the taste of green tea).

Thank you so much for your advice! I am going to try to replace the whole wheat pasta I make once or twice a week with brown rice... I figure it's just as good and easy to make. I am also going to try replacing the other whole grain staples in my diet with gluten-free options. I didn't realize that salmon could potentially have a bad effect on skin but since I've heard everything from coffee to fruit causes acne, nothing really surprises me anymore! I've recently gotten into green tea (I LOVE the taste of it too!), but the kind I buy does have caffeine... can you recommend a decaf brand? I'll also definitely have to look into gluten-free Chex cereal and V8 juice. By "fortified" do you mean iron? I am slightly anemic so that would be a plus. One last question... I have been considering taking a daily multi-vitamin, especially for the iron and calcium (which I probably am not getting as much of with how little dairy I eat). Have you ever tried a multi? If so, how was your experience with it? Let me know and thanks again for all of the tips!

MemberMember
(@timpulse)

Posted : 11/01/2012 6:13 pm

I have had great success.

MemberMember
(@emt813)

Posted : 11/01/2012 6:16 pm

I have had great success.

That is so good to hear! Congrats! Any tips/tricks I should know about cutting gluten and dairy out of my diet?

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 11/01/2012 6:18 pm

Gluten Free has worked for me. I also know Wheat was the cause of it (acne) but Barley also had a major impact on my health (Arthritis). I'm now free of both and many other problems.

MemberMember
(@emt813)

Posted : 11/01/2012 6:21 pm

Gluten Free has worked for me. I also know Wheat was the cause of it (acne) but Barley also had a major impact on my health (Arthritis). I'm now free of both and many other problems.

Congrats to you as well! So exciting to hear success stories.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/01/2012 6:31 pm

I know my post was pretty lengthy and probably confusing but I actually AM back on the pill. I was off of it for three months from March to May, began taking it again at the beginning of June, and am now on my sixth pack. I also eat relatively healthy with the exception of an occasional dessert and exercise daily. But I definitely am paying extra attention to my diet these days! Thanks for your advice.

Relatively healthy is a term i hear way too much and when people tell me what they eat it is far from relatively healthy. Sorry to sound direct but this is typically the case 9 times out 10.

I can say cutting gluten had positive effects but i still have to us BP for my acne.

Sadly what works for one person doesn't always work for someone else. You acne may not even be diet related but it is something you do need to explore which will take time. But i would tell anyone to cut gluten from their diet, acne or no acne, it's just no good at all.

MemberMember
(@emt813)

Posted : 11/01/2012 6:39 pm

Relatively healthy is a term i hear way too much and when people tell me what they eat it is far from relatively healthy. Sorry to sound direct but this is typically the case 9 times out 10.

I can say cutting gluten had positive effects but i still have to us BP for my acne.

Sadly what works for one person doesn't always work for someone else. You acne may not even be diet related but it is something you do need to explore which will take time. But i would tell anyone to cut gluten from their diet, acne or no acne, it's just no good at all.

I agree with the gluten thing. I have read so much about gluten the past few days and I figure that it definitely can't hurt to cut it out of my diet. And obviously I don't eat perfectly healthy 100% of the time, I definitely give in to temptation every now and then, especially with Halloween this week! My skin didn't love benzoyl peroxide but I have had success with other topical treatments... I guess you win some, you lose some.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 11/01/2012 7:35 pm

Thank you so much for your advice! I am going to try to replace the whole wheat pasta I make once or twice a week with brown rice... I figure it's just as good and easy to make. I am also going to try replacing the other whole grain staples in my diet with gluten-free options. I didn't realize that salmon could potentially have a bad effect on skin but since I've heard everything from coffee to fruit causes acne, nothing really surprises me anymore! I've recently gotten into green tea (I LOVE the taste of it too!), but the kind I buy does have caffeine... can you recommend a decaf brand? I'll also definitely have to look into gluten-free Chex cereal and V8 juice. By "fortified" do you mean iron? I am slightly anemic so that would be a plus. One last question... I have been considering taking a daily multi-vitamin, especially for the iron and calcium (which I probably am not getting as much of with how little dairy I eat). Have you ever tried a multi? If so, how was your experience with it? Let me know and thanks again for all of the tips!

Yeah, salmon being a trigger was a surprise for me, but I don't think it would hurt anyone who isn't vitamin B12 - sensitive like I am.

I have not considered a multivitamin, namely because I had such bad experiences with several individual ones that I figured having them all lumped together would just be asking for trouble. But if vitamins in large percentages of the DV don't seem to impact your skin in a negative way, I'd say go for it.

By "fortified" I mean those cereals with a lot of vitamins added in. I think most breakfast cereals are fortified these days, but it doesn't hurt to check the nutrition facts. Also, like I said, lactose-free milk alternatives are often fortified as well, especially with calcium (most of them actually have more calcium than you would get with the same size serving of regular milk).

As for green tea, I buy Bigelow organic decaf. Where I live, it's available in nearly every supermarket. Really good stuff.

MemberMember
(@bsider)

Posted : 11/01/2012 8:51 pm

Unfortunately, following a dairy-free, gluten-free, low-sugar diet for more than 1 year didn't really improve my acne.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/02/2012 6:22 am

I agree with the gluten thing. I have read so much about gluten the past few days and I figure that it definitely can't hurt to cut it out of my diet. And obviously I don't eat perfectly healthy 100% of the time, I definitely give in to temptation every now and then, especially with Halloween this week! My skin didn't love benzoyl peroxide but I have had success with other topical treatments... I guess you win some, you lose some.

lol anyone would be a liar if they said they did eat 100% all the time.

I treat myself at least once a week. Life should be enjoyed as well as showing some discipline in what we eat. Balance is key

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/02/2012 7:02 am

I'm not a liar and I stick to my diet plan 100% of the time. When you get brutally ill otherwise, cheating no longer becomes an option.

And yes, gluten and dairy free are essential for me. If only it were enough. I have major damage to my body and I need to go a bit further than most people.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/02/2012 11:11 am

I did gluten-free for awhile. Didn't have that much of an effect and after about 6 months I gave up on that. I had my bloodwork done to see if I was intolerant to gluten or even sensitie and I wasn't so I would suggest doing that if you're thinking of going gluten-free otherwise what's the point? I now only use sprouted wheat breads though because I think it's mainly the blood sugar spikes that can contribute to acne and low glycemic foods can keep those stable. I haven't done full dairy free but I drink coconut or almond milk in replacement of regular dairy milk and I notice I break out a lot less when I do this :) Hope this helps some.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/02/2012 11:33 am

I did gluten-free for awhile. Didn't have that much of an effect and after about 6 months I gave up on that. I had my bloodwork done to see if I was intolerant to gluten or even sensitie and I wasn't so I would suggest doing that if you're thinking of going gluten-free otherwise what's the point? I now only use sprouted wheat breads though because I think it's mainly the blood sugar spikes that can contribute to acne and low glycemic foods can keep those stable. I haven't done full dairy free but I drink coconut or almond milk in replacement of regular dairy milk and I notice I break out a lot less when I do this smile.png Hope this helps some.

The point is is that gluten contains lectins which are not good. Lectins can pass through the intestines intact and can cause all sorts of auto immune illnesses.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 11/02/2012 3:16 pm

I did gluten-free for awhile. Didn't have that much of an effect and after about 6 months I gave up on that. I had my bloodwork done to see if I was intolerant to gluten or even sensitie and I wasn't so I would suggest doing that if you're thinking of going gluten-free otherwise what's the point? I now only use sprouted wheat breads though because I think it's mainly the blood sugar spikes that can contribute to acne and low glycemic foods can keep those stable. I haven't done full dairy free but I drink coconut or almond milk in replacement of regular dairy milk and I notice I break out a lot less when I do this smile.png Hope this helps some.

I'm just curious to what kind of blood tests your Dr ordered to see if you were Intolerant/Sensitive to Gluten?

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/02/2012 3:39 pm

I'm just curious to what kind of blood tests your Dr ordered to see if you were Intolerant/Sensitive to Gluten?

My blood tests I had the standard Food panel testing done that tests clams, corn, egg white, cod, milk, peanuts, scallops, shrimp, soybeans, walnuts, wheat, plus a gliadin antibodies test which is the protein found in wheat and other grasses.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 11/02/2012 3:56 pm

My blood tests I had the standard Food panel testing done that tests clams, corn, egg white, cod, milk, peanuts, scallops, shrimp, soybeans, walnuts, wheat, plus a gliadin antibodies test which is the protein found in wheat and other grasses.

http://centerforfoodallergies.com/2_a.htm

In my 8 years of working in a Lab, Dr's have only ordered IgE's 100% of the time. That is standard testing & really sad. Just a FYI.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/02/2012 4:03 pm

http://centerforfood...ies.com/2_a.htm

In my 8 years of working in a Lab, Dr's have only ordered IgE's 100% of the time. That is standard testing & really sad. Just a FYI.

Yeah the standard food panel is all IgE, the gliadin was IgA and IgG, though I don't really know much about any of that. I had this all done because of stomach issues, thinking I had acid reflux my doctor sent for me for an endoscopy, which only told me I have an irritated stomach. Why? beats me.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 11/02/2012 4:50 pm

Yeah the standard food panel is all IgE, the gliadin was IgA and IgG, though I don't really know much about any of that. I had this all done because of stomach issues, thinking I had acid reflux my doctor sent for me for an endoscopy, which only told me I have an irritated stomach. Why? beats me.

I can tell you this, Gliadin is a new protein found in GMO Wheat. Only 1 of 27 different Proteins found in Wheat. The Celiac Panel is ordered 1st, if it comes back positive the fun really begins. Next, they do a Scope to see if there is any damage to the Villa. Sounds like fun right? If they see damage they then will do a Biopsy. Fun Fun. However, even after all that you still may not be diagnosed with Celiac Disease. That all depends on your Dr and how much he/she knows about Celiac Disease. Some Dr's think the "Diet" is way to restrictive & more troublesome than.... your health.

Now, if you had Wheat IgG, Barley IgG, & Rye IgG testing done you would know in a few days if you had a Gluten Allergy. Much easier, faster, cheaper for Insurance Co.'s and less painful this way (and more accurate).

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/02/2012 5:04 pm

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 11/02/2012 5:34 pm

I can tell you this, Gliadin is a new protein found in GMO Wheat. Only 1 of 27 different Proteins found in Wheat. The Celiac Panel is ordered 1st, if it comes back positive the fun really begins. Next, they do a Scope to see if there is any damage to the Villa. Sounds like fun right? If they see damage they then will do a Biopsy. Fun Fun. However, even after all that you still may not be diagnosed with Celiac Disease. That all depends on your Dr and how much he/she knows about Celiac Disease. Some Dr's think the "Diet" is way to restrictive & more troublesome than.... your health.

Now, if you had Wheat IgG, Barley IgG, & Rye IgG testing done you would know in a few days if you had a Gluten Allergy. Much easier, faster, cheaper for Insurance Co.'s and less painful this way (and more accurate).

So my tests pretty much told me nothing... Probably be easier to just stick to a strict diet for a month or two and see if it helps.

Don't feel bad, billions & billions of dollars are wasted on blood tests & many other worthless tests annually. Disease keeps America running.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/02/2012 6:03 pm

So my tests pretty much told me nothing... Probably be easier to just stick to a strict diet for a month or two and see if it helps.

Yeah, the best way to do it is to give up gluten 100%. Not saying you didn't, but I know some people just stop eating bread and pasta and stuff and still are being exposed to tons of gluten through soups, sauces, restaurant meals, supplements, etc. It's a crazy thing, because if you ARE sensitive, all of those tiny amounts can keep your system just as messed up. If you're not sensitive, you'll end up being extra careful for awhile for nothing. But it's worth it to know.

If you gave it up 100% for that long, then you probably aren't very sensitive. I gave it up for a week, ate a plate of pasta and was horribly sick afterwards. Some people don't present as drastic of symptoms as I do, though. And I've met multiple people who tested negative but still had benefits from giving it up.