Notifications
Clear all

Acne And Fiber

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 10/31/2012 2:48 pm

I've noticed a significant decrease in my breakouts since I began taking a fiber supplement (natural metamucil) twice a day. Is there any correlation between fiber and acne or could it just be the increase in water that is helping?

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/06/2012 3:41 am

The body needs a wide range of things to function properly. By adding a fiber supplement, I think you might be filling a void that your body lacked.

I think pills are great on the go, but after switching from pills to whole food to get my nutrients, I've noticed a huge change in my acne and energy levels.

MemberMember
(@bradmanda)

Posted : 10/04/2013 10:29 am

Fiber, in addition to eliminating cow's milk products, completely eliminated my acne.

Fiber was the game-changer, and I am now completely clear!

(I have had acne, ranging from mild to severe since age 11. I am now 26).

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/04/2013 2:19 pm

If it still in your digestive tract when you eat a high glycemic food, it will reduce the glycemic impact.

And when your liver removes excess hormones from circulation, they get bound up by fiber, if there is any, and pass out of the body. Otherwise, they may end up back in circulation in your bloodstream.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 10/04/2013 2:21 pm

Fiber feeds bacteria. If you have a bad strain, you're feeding a bad strain. So yes, the fiber could be working against you.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/07/2013 3:24 pm

What are good sources of fiber? It seems that it's in all the things I can't eat.

Also, what do you think of NutriFlora/ FOS? I read it can raise blood sugar, but I also read that it helps digestion and enhances probiotics. Basically, the only cereal I can eat contain NutriFlora and have never given me issues. I have NutriFlora powder but haven't used it recently. What other sources of fiber could be beneficial, and how will I know if I need it or not? (PS> sometimes I get IBS, sorry for the TMI. WIll it help with that?).

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/07/2013 7:03 pm

What are good sources of fiber? It seems that it's in all the things I can't eat.

Also, what do you think of NutriFlora/ FOS? I read it can raise blood sugar, but I also read that it helps digestion and enhances probiotics. Basically, the only cereal I can eat contain NutriFlora and have never given me issues. I have NutriFlora powder but haven't used it recently. What other sources of fiber could be beneficial, and how will I know if I need it or not? (PS> sometimes I get IBS, sorry for the TMI. WIll it help with that?).

Winter squash? Have you tried buckwheat?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/07/2013 9:46 pm

I eat squash regularly...I couldn't find buckwheat at the store. I will need to look again. Are there any buckwheat recipes in the recipe thread?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/08/2013 11:09 am

I eat squash regularly...I couldn't find buckwheat at the store. I will need to look again. Are there any buckwheat recipes in the recipe thread?

I sprout it by soaking for about 30 minutes, rinse and let sit all day or overnight. Rinse again before cooking because it's starchy. I cook in the microwave in a couple of minutes after getting sick and tired of cleaning up boil overs. It's sprouted, so doesn't actually have to be cooked. I cook with a little salt and a couple of cloves. After cooking I stir in my extras: cinnamon, ginger, dried currants or raisins, dried coconut. Then I eat with chopped green apple throughout the fall, winter, spring, tropical fruit like banana & pineapple when apples are out of season.

You should be able to use it in any quinoa or couscous recipe. Just rinse to get rid of some of the starch.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/08/2013 10:23 pm

I sprout it by soaking for about 30 minutes, rinse and let sit all day or overnight. Rinse again before cooking because it's starchy. I cook in the microwave in a couple of minutes after getting sick and tired of cleaning up boil overs. It's sprouted, so doesn't actually have to be cooked. I cook with a little salt and a couple of cloves. After cooking I stir in my extras: cinnamon, ginger, dried currants or raisins, dried coconut. Then I eat with chopped green apple throughout the fall, winter, spring, tropical fruit like banana & pineapple when apples are out of season.

You should be able to use it in any quinoa or couscous recipe. Just rinse to get rid of some of the starch.

Thanks, I had no idea how to prepare it. Btw, have you heard of the PCOS blaster muffins? The main ingredient is buckwheat farinetta...is that a different form of buckwheat than the one you use? I'm getting some promising results from myo-inositol powder, and I read that buchwheat farinetta provides a high amount of chiro-inositol which is otherwise expensive to buy as a supplement. I use carob for the same purpose.

http://www.food.com/recipe/buckwheat-farinetta-muffins-431265 --> Fiber, protein, but also some questionable ingredients for people with allergies (eggs, nuts, etc).