Notifications
Clear all

Acne Depression

MemberMember
(@forrestgump)

Posted : 10/30/2012 7:51 pm

Hi, I am 16 and have severe cystic acne. By severe, I mean on my chest, back, forehead, right cheek, left cheek and that space right over the mouth. I hate going to school, I ignore mirrors and i dont like to look at people. I am not trying to write a sob story, this is is geniunely how it is. the worst part is nothing works for my acne. I tried over the counter, an prescription meds, however, my parents will never let me take accutane (100% sure of that.) so basically, i have to suffer for all of high school, which should be one of the best times of my life. i always get insensitive comments, and i feel bad about myself. another bad thing is before acne, and probly if i didint have acne, i would be considered very attractice (I was always a ladies man tongue.png) I hate when other peple with acne this bad get accutane, because it makes me feel even worse that they can just get rid of it, and i cant. sorry for the life story.

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 10/30/2012 8:09 pm

Sit down and have a mature conversation with your parents, and explain how acne has ruined your high school life, which is really has. Do you have to be 18 to sign up for it yourself? If not, go to the derm and get it yourself.

poi6 liked
MemberMember
(@poi6)

Posted : 10/30/2012 9:18 pm

Hi, I am 16 and have severe cystic acne. By severe, I mean on my chest, back, forehead, right cheek, left cheek and that space right over the mouth. I hate going to school, I ignore mirrors and i dont like to look at people. I am not trying to write a sob story, this is is geniunely how it is. the worst part is nothing works for my acne. I tried over the counter, an prescription meds, however, my parents will never let me take accutane (100% sure of that.) so basically, i have to suffer for all of high school, which should be one of the best times of my life. i always get insensitive comments, and i feel bad about myself. another bad thing is before acne, and probly if i didint have acne, i would be considered very attractice (I was always a ladies man tongue.png) I hate when other peple with acne this bad get accutane, because it makes me feel even worse that they can just get rid of it, and i cant. sorry for the life story.

I'm with ya

MemberMember
(@ilovemesomevanity)

Posted : 10/30/2012 10:20 pm

"I was always a ladies man" hahaaha XD keep your sense of humor. seriously, i think us acne sufferers have social problems because were always sulking around feeling sorry for ourselves. easier said than done, but i mean everyone has their own issues, and im in my last year of high school and i still have acne. i always use it as an excuse, like ill try to be more confident and outgoing when my skin clears up, yada yada, but ive been saying that since freshman year. so dont let acne hold you back, cuz youll never know when it clear up for sure

aw shit. *clears. gotta love noticing a typo just as you click "post"

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 10/31/2012 9:01 am

If your dermatologist isn't helping you then see a different dermatoligist. Accutane should be a last resort.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/31/2012 5:12 pm

It is hard to advise you on this because school can be tough at the best of times and your parents do not seem to be supporting you.

I think you need to sit them down and explain how it is effecting your mental health. A lot of people just do not understand this side of acne so you will need to let them know how you feel.

As for the comments in school im sorry to say that is just the way it is. I am not justifying it but you will have to develop a thick skin or put them down better than they put you down :D

As for accutane don't pin all your hopes on it as it is not a cure. Have you considered your diet to be any factor? May be you should look at making changes in that area? Have a look at the nutritional threads. I'm on there quite a lot and there a lot of knowledgeable people there/ I don't always agree with them but they bring a lot of good info to the table.

All the best.