Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Log - Finally Starting

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 10/29/2012 8:16 pm

Hey folks! Well, I just took my first 3 pills x 10MG (30MG daily) today! A mix of emotions; happy that I am finally on this drug, scared of the incoming side effects, dreading the dry skin and what not, but happy that I (hopefully - knock on wood) will get rid of acne once and for all.

Background

I have suffered acne ever since I was about 13. It has gone from mild to moderate, to moderate to severe, back to mild again. It's an odd cycle for me. Fast forward 4 years later, and here I am with 30MG of Accutane in my body. Excited? Yes. Scared? Hell yes. I wouldn't say scared - just... the anxiety of the unexpected to come.

I am a 17 year old male residing in Canada. I have tried all the creams you can count - and I was on Tetracycline 750MG daily for over a year, and it literally did nothing whatsoever. I have acne all over my chest, arms, back, shoulders, neck, and face. Oddly, my cheeks are (knock on wood) crystal clear. Don't know why. I get extremely oily skin, so I'm actually sort of looking forward to having a drier face... until it becomes really dry - that's going to suck!

I am just fed up with acne. Honestly, it hasn't effected me in such a way that my life has changed, or I've missed out on some things, but it makes doing simple things, or wanting to try new things, meet new people, etc. that much harder. I'm tired of waking up and seeing this bullshit on my body, I'm tired of people looking at it. I'm tired of the hassle. I'm ready to just get rid of it once and for all. If I have to go through several months of pain, grossness, awkward bodily changes/appearances - so be it.

One trip to the derm and she put me on Accutane (after doing blood work of course!) She was amazed that Tetracycline didn't do anything to me after a year. She's a great derm and I am looking forward to working with her to get me through this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Month 1 - 30MG

Month 2 - 30MG

Month 3 - 40MG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1 - Nothing to report yet (obviously). My lips feel drier all ready - it's definitely just in my head though (placebo). Planning to make a trip to the drug store to stock up on the essentials (chap stick, moisturizer, cleanser, shaving cream, you name it) I would absolutely love if you guys with experience could recommend me a good brand! Also, any tips like drinking lots of water or what not would be good too!

Here's hoping for a good course.

MemberMember
(@bryan1337)

Posted : 10/29/2012 10:30 pm

Vaseline your lips at nights and keep burts bee's on you in the day. Aquaphor is useless unless your lips are bleeding, and therefore are in need of an oitment. Personally I had really bad back pain throughout the entire journy. It eased off after 4 months of so, though. I was on 80mg for 6 months. Yep, started at 80 and I weigh 155. Accutane dehydrates you, so drink plenty of water, gatorade, etc. Stay hydrated. You sound just like me, 17, tried everything. It'll work for you I promise, check out my latest post. My skin after 2 months started flaking really bad, I was dumb and didn't moisturize just because I kind of like seeing all the bad skin fall off neutral.gif . But you definitley should moisturize. Get a cetaphil daily lotion with like 15 spf in it. It's nice and thin and makes your skin glow. Get a moisturizing cream and rub it ALL over your face at night. Cheers

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 10/30/2012 9:02 pm

Thanks. I picked up some Cetaphil Gental Daily Cleanser and the Mosturizer... as well as some chap stick/lip balm.

Day 2 - Still nothing to report; still same old skin, oil, acne, etc. Can't say I expected much change in only 2 days.

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 10/31/2012 9:36 pm

Day 3 - Still nothing to report.

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/01/2012 8:55 pm

Day 4 - Still nothing happening. Honestly thought I would see something by now.

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/02/2012 6:49 am

Don't worry :) I'm on day 5 and I've only just started seeing tiny flakes on my nose haha! Other than that, headaches and slightly more oil have been the only side effects I've been having. You'll see changes soon :) Look on the bright side, at least you haven't had any adverse effects!

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/03/2012 8:46 am

Yeah, I'm happy that nothing horrible has happened. At least I'm not allergic to it.

Day 5 - No change. 30mg may be too low a dose.

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/03/2012 11:31 pm

Day 6 - Lips are noticeably drier and more sore. Spoke too soon.

MemberMember
(@smoothtofu)

Posted : 11/04/2012 2:53 pm

Your acne condition seems really similar to mine. Good luck and I look forward to your updates.

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/04/2012 10:10 pm

Thanks!

Day 7 - No new changes; lips are still dry and somewhat sore.

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/05/2012 9:56 pm

Day 8 - Again, nothing new except the continouation of the dry/sore lips.

Hoping to see some skin signs soon...

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/06/2012 9:53 pm

Day 9 - Holy moley.

Definitely changes today.. Lips are even more sore and dry! I think they'll start to crack soon... and the cold weather is starting to come, great...

I am seeing some new pimples forming. Could be from the 'tane, could not be... But they are in places I never seemed to get acne before I started Accutane, specifically on my cheeks.

Also, my skin seems to be drier. I also had difficulty focusing in my classes today... maybe it was just one of those days.

And, finally; I was working out at the gym today and I seemed to get a sore back from almost everything I did... Hmm.

Happy yet unhappy these side effects (and, they may or may not be a result of the 'tane) are starting to kick in. Shows the Accutane is starting to do its job. Here's hoping it's smooth sailing from here on out! eusa_pray.gif

MemberMember
(@tezza198)

Posted : 11/07/2012 4:56 am

hey man,

Im a little behind you Im starting in a few days, im similar alot of mixed emotions... scaried and excited!

Hope everything goes well for you!

ill be following your log.

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/07/2012 10:49 am

Apparently it's really normal to get spots in places you don't usually on Accutane! No idea why, but yeah it's probably doing its thing and pushing everything out :)

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/09/2012 8:24 am

Thanks guys - I really appreciate your support!

Day 10 & 11 - Still have very dry lips; it's to the point now where if I don't have chap stick on them 24/7 they start to become really sore.

My back seems to become very sore over the simplest of things, like bending over to put socks on or picking something up... May not be able to hit the gym for a while.

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/09/2012 7:22 pm

Just my p.o.v, I wouldn't overdo the exercise on accutane! It says on my leaflet that too much strenuous exercise can cause arthritis, it's probably on your leaflet you got with the drug but just in case it's not! Idk how different the leaflets are for different generics etc :)

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/10/2012 12:20 am

Just my p.o.v, I wouldn't overdo the exercise on accutane! It says on my leaflet that too much strenuous exercise can cause arthritis, it's probably on your leaflet you got with the drug but just in case it's not! Idk how different the leaflets are for different generics etc smile.png

I'll keep that in mind! I don't plan on going to the gym much while on my course, thanks!

Day 12 - Same as the previous 2 days - face appears to have cleared up slightly.

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/12/2012 4:22 pm

Day 13, 14, 15 - Not much change yet. Still have really dry lips and my back gets sore from almost anything... Hoping to see some change in acne soon. Did I avoid the inital breakout all together? eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/13/2012 10:02 pm

Day 16 - God these dry lips are annoying... Grr! It's my worst side effect *knock on wood* (I know, nothing to complain about - be greatful) and my chap stick looks like lip gloss which is slightly awkward... and they're just really sore and uncomfortable. Did I mention dry??? I now understand what everyone else was talking about when they said 'stock up on lip medication'.

I want to say my face is clearing up... but I'm not sure yet. There's an obvious improvement - less actual 'bumps'. I think I avoided the inital breakout all together... *knock on wood again* here's hoping it doesn't come later!

I have a derm appointment 10 days from now, and I'll probably be getting an increase in the dosage. Anyway, fairly happy with my progress so far.

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/15/2012 10:18 pm

Day 17, 18 - Back still gets sore from almost anything; neck sometimes. Lips are still dry but I'm getting used to them so I don't notice them as much. Skin is starting to dry up... clear up a bit.

Don't know if I am getting my IB now or it's just a regular break out... we shall see.

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/17/2012 4:14 pm

Day 19, 20 - Well, lips don't seem as sore/dry anymore... I haven't put any chap stick on them all day today and they are fine. Odd.

Back and neck still get sore for doing basic things like stretching, skin around my nose is fairly dry... That's about it.

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/19/2012 9:48 pm

Day 21, 22 - Still not much change...

Going to the derm in one week.

MemberMember
(@taylor13)

Posted : 11/20/2012 4:18 am

Day 13, 14, 15 - Not much change yet. Still have really dry lips and my back gets sore from almost anything... Hoping to see some change in acne soon. Did I avoid the inital breakout all together? eusa_think.gif

i'm on day 13 and my back has been killing me for the past few days. ugh. :(

Day 19, 20 - Well, lips don't seem as sore/dry anymore... I haven't put any chap stick on them all day today and they are fine. Odd.

Back and neck still get sore for doing basic things like stretching, skin around my nose is fairly dry... That's about it.

i've been putting the Neosporin white cream on the corners around my nose at night and it's really helping.

i've also been putting it on my spots that are clearing up at night and it's helping them heal faster i believe.

you should check it out!

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/20/2012 9:36 pm

i'm on day 13 and my back has been killing me for the past few days. ugh. sad.png

i've been putting the Neosporin white cream on the corners around my nose at night and it's really helping.

i've also been putting it on my spots that are clearing up at night and it's helping them heal faster i believe.

you should check it out!

Yeah, my back gets really sore from basically anything... So annoying. I will check out that product - thanks!

Day 23 - Well, I dunno. My face seems to be clearing up... but I don't really know the concept of clearing up because I haven't had a clear face for 4 years; so I don't know if it's getting better, worse, or staying the same.

We are in the middle of moving, and I've lived in this house my whole life so it's really hard... I have post-secondary (college or uni) crap to handle... IE decide what I'm doing, money, where I'm going, which program/courses, I need to buy a car soon, and then there's the daily routine of being a senior. Blah. Very stressed. At least mid terms are over!

I'm only staying hopeful on Accutane because all the stories I've read, and the people I know/talked to, say that it does, ultimately, get rid of your acne completely... (*knocks on woood*) so I'm staying hopeful for that. Don't know how long I'm suppose to be on this for, like 4 months, 5 months, what?

Have a derm appointment next Monday, I'm assuming she's going to put me on 40mg or 50... we'll see.

Anyway, to sum it all up: Sore back, dry lips, sore neck occasionally, stressed, staying hopeful. eusa_pray.gif

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/25/2012 8:57 am

Day 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 - Still not much change... Same old dry lips, sore back/neck, and dry skin around the nose and mouth.

Derm appointment tomorrow, so we'll see what she says.