Notifications
Clear all

Questions About Accutane For My Extremely Oily & Blackheads.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 10/29/2012 9:04 am

Hello all,

I am contemplating going on Accutane for my extremely oily skin and blackheads on my nose, cheeks and forehead. Before I do, I'd like to ask some questions.

- What can I do, before I start taking Accutane, to minimize the side effects?

- What can I do to prevent blackheads from coming back after the Accutane treatment? Because I've read that in a lot of cases the oil comes back after the Accutane treatment. The thing is, it seems like I haven't had a new blackhead for ages, it's just the ones that have been there forever. So this leads me to wonder if I'll get any blackheads after they have been pushed out thanks to the Accutane.

- What can I do to prevent the oil production from increasing after the Accutane treatment?

- How much Accutane should I take for what is basically only to get rid of oily skin and blackheads? (21 year old male, weight: 75 kg (165 lbs) & height: 1m83 (6 ft.)

If you have been on Accutane yourself for oily skin and/or blackheads, please share your experiences and views.

Thank you.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 10/29/2012 10:15 am

If you are taking it only for oily skin and blackheads, I don't think a dermatologist will give it to you. I'm gonna try to get long term, low dose accutane, which should minimize the side effects, and prevent the oil from coming back. If you take a low enough dose, I don't see why you can't keep taking it for a few years.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 10/29/2012 10:48 am

If you are taking it only for oily skin and blackheads, I don't think a dermatologist will give it to you. I'm gonna try to get long term, low dose accutane, which should minimize the side effects, and prevent the oil from coming back. If you take a low enough dose, I don't see why you can't keep taking it for a few years.

Thanks for the reply mate.

However, I am pretty sure I'd get the prescription. I have been to 2 dermatologists (for the record, both were completely and utterly useless) for oily skin and blackheads and both gave me Epiduo, but said if that doesn't work there's always Accutane...

So I'm sure I'd be able to get the prescription, I'm just not sure if I can trust them to prescribe the right amount. Both of them came across as very inadequate.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 12/22/2012 4:47 pm

Anyone else?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/22/2012 6:19 pm

Severe acne isn't always classified as cysts and nodules. A dermatologist can classify your acne as severe if you have hundreds of blackheads and whiteheads or your acne is very resistant to treatment. If you fall under this, they will prescribe isotretinoin to you.

Currently, the only other oral prescriptions that can reduce oil production are birth control and spironolactone.

You can temporarily suppress sebum production with topical retinoids, and reduce the "feel" of it with topical silicones, kaolin and other clays ("mattifying" and "oil-blotting") products.

I know there aren't many sebum-reductive products out there, but oral prescriptions are the best ones for now. :( I'll just keep searching on this subject to see what else I can turn up.

MemberMember
(@janana)

Posted : 12/23/2012 10:59 pm

My acne mostly cleared from retin a but my oil was horrible and blackheads as well. I did 40 mg 2 months, 60 mg 2 months, 80 mg 1 month and chose not to do another month because I was losing too much hair. My blackheads had cleared however my pores were still very large. My oil started returning 3 weeks after discontinuing accutane (but my hair loss continued, joy!). With oil comes blackheads. I started spiro about 5 weeks after stopping accutane, I should have been on that all along, but my dermatologist was an idiot. Unfortunately, Vincent Vega (love the movie) spiro isn't an option for you, if you are a "he". But accutane did not give me any lasting results from oil. sorry :(

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 12/24/2012 8:01 am

My acne mostly cleared from retin a but my oil was horrible and blackheads as well. I did 40 mg 2 months, 60 mg 2 months, 80 mg 1 month and chose not to do another month because I was losing too much hair. My blackheads had cleared however my pores were still very large. My oil started returning 3 weeks after discontinuing accutane (but my hair loss continued, joy!). With oil comes blackheads. I started spiro about 5 weeks after stopping accutane, I should have been on that all along, but my dermatologist was an idiot. Unfortunately, Vincent Vega (love the movie) spiro isn't an option for you, if you are a "he". But accutane did not give me any lasting results from oil. sorry sad.png

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about your hair loss, I hope it's stopped by now or at least you've got it under control..

I am indeed a he so products like spiro are, unfortunately, probably not going to work for me. But to be honest, right now I'm at the stage that I just want to enjoy life without worrying about my skin. So if that means doing a low-dose accutane course and having oil-free skin for a year or 2, I'm willing to give it a go, just so I can enjoy life fully for that period af time i'm on accutane.

And yes, Pulp Fiction is brilliant ! cool.png

MemberMember
(@janana)

Posted : 12/24/2012 9:46 am

My acne mostly cleared from retin a but my oil was horrible and blackheads as well. I did 40 mg 2 months, 60 mg 2 months, 80 mg 1 month and chose not to do another month because I was losing too much hair. My blackheads had cleared however my pores were still very large. My oil started returning 3 weeks after discontinuing accutane (but my hair loss continued, joy!). With oil comes blackheads. I started spiro about 5 weeks after stopping accutane, I should have been on that all along, but my dermatologist was an idiot. Unfortunately, Vincent Vega (love the movie) spiro isn't an option for you, if you are a "he". But accutane did not give me any lasting results from oil. sorry sad.png

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about your hair loss, I hope it's stopped by now or at least you've got it under control..

I am indeed a he so products like spiro are, unfortunately, probably not going to work for me. But to be honest, right now I'm at the stage that I just want to enjoy life without worrying about my skin. So if that means doing a low-dose accutane course and having oil-free skin for a year or 2, I'm willing to give it a go, just so I can enjoy life fully for that period af time i'm on accutane.

If you give it a go, hope you get what you wanted with minimal to no side-effects. This drug should be labeled "buyer beware". It often seems to break something to fix another :)

My hair loss started to slow at about 4 months off, new hairs coming in and have short hairs sticking out everywhere, the hairline on my forehead looks ridiculous with all these short hairs sticking over my forehead and top of my head, constantly using spray to make them blend in with my other hair. My temples had lost a lot, can see scalp through a lighter covering of hair, not sure if new hair is coming in there, it may be, but from back to front, it's hard to tell. I'll take the ridiculous short hairs, they are growing and maybe in another decade they will fill in with the rest of my hair :) I had nearly waist length hair before this debockle and it was my favorite feature about myself, now I hate it *sigh*. This is a tricky tricky drug for sure!

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 12/24/2012 11:29 am

If you give it a go, hope you get what you wanted with minimal to no side-effects. This drug should be labeled "buyer beware". It often seems to break something to fix another smile.png

My hair loss started to slow at about 4 months off, new hairs coming in and have short hairs sticking out everywhere, the hairline on my forehead looks ridiculous with all these short hairs sticking over my forehead and top of my head, constantly using spray to make them blend in with my other hair. My temples had lost a lot, can see scalp through a lighter covering of hair, not sure if new hair is coming in there, it may be, but from back to front, it's hard to tell. I'll take the ridiculous short hairs, they are growing and maybe in another decade they will fill in with the rest of my hair smile.png I had nearly waist length hair before this debockle and it was my favorite feature about myself, now I hate it *sigh*. This is a tricky tricky drug for sure!

That sounds terrible. I hope your hairs grow as fast as possible.. That's why I'm going on a low dose, I'm hoping that will reduce the chances of having a bad side-effects. Thanks again for the replies, it's good to hear from others.