Notifications
Clear all

Can Teenage Girls Take Spiro?

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 10/28/2012 7:35 pm

I read online that only adult women can take Spiro because you're not supposed to take it while you're going through puberty due to fluctuating hormones. I'm almost seventeen and I'm pretty sure I'm done going through puberty, so would this even matter? Is it true?

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 10/28/2012 8:51 pm

It depends. Spironolactone is a medication that is used (off label) to treat hormonal acne. It is very effective for that and for acne caused by PCOS and other endocrine disorders. It is also used when other acne medications fail.

So my questions for you are:

1. Have you tried other topicals or oral medications? Which ones?

2. What makes you think Spironolactone will work for you? Do you have signs of excess androgens, for example?

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/29/2012 3:39 pm

The only way to know is to talk with your doctor. We really can't answer this for you.

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 10/29/2012 9:26 pm

It depends. Spironolactone is a medication that is used (off label) to treat hormonal acne. It is very effective for that and for acne caused by PCOS and other endocrine disorders. It is also used when other acne medications fail.

So my questions for you are:

1. Have you tried other topicals or oral medications? Which ones?

2. What makes you think Spironolactone will work for you? Do you have signs of excess androgens, for example?

Yes, I have tried MANY medications. I've used just about every topical possible, including every retinoid, for years. I was put on several courses of antibiotics, which I took for over two years, and I just finished a high dose course of Accutane. And I still have acne. The only signs of excess androgens that I have are the acne on my chin and the extremely oily skin I had before Accutane ( the amount of oil was so extreme that my face was literally an oil slick fifteen minutes after washing my face, and I'm not exaggerating).

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 10/29/2012 11:40 pm

If your only symptoms are acne and oily skin, I would place bets that your acne isn't from a hormone disorder. But as Brandy pointed out, a doctor (and hormone tests) could rule that out. It may be best to begin with an oral contraceptive before you jump into Spiro. Most doctors will have you try a birth control pill before an anti-androgen, as it is not a first line treatment for acne. I had to jump through hoops to get it.

Yaz contains 25mg (if I remember correctly) an anti-androgen (like in Spiro) so that may be a good beginning option for you.

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 10/30/2012 12:27 am

If your only symptoms are acne and oily skin, I would place bets that your acne isn't from a hormone disorder. But as Brandy pointed out, a doctor (and hormone tests) could rule that out. It may be best to begin with an oral contraceptive before you jump into Spiro. Most doctors will have you try a birth control pill before an anti-androgen, as it is not a first line treatment for acne. I had to jump through hoops to get it.

Yaz contains 25mg (if I remember correctly) an anti-androgen (like in Spiro) so that may be a good beginning option for you.

I've been on BCPs for four years now without any improvement. I'm pretty sure that anti-androgens improve acne symptoms in patients who don't have excess androgens, but they are more sensitive to androgens or have more androgen receptors (something along these lines). I guess we'll see what my derm says. I emailed her today. I just want to find something that works!

MemberMember
(@katelibby)

Posted : 10/30/2012 7:29 pm

I've been on BCPs for four years now without any improvement. I'm pretty sure that anti-androgens improve acne symptoms in patients who don't have excess androgens, but they are more sensitive to androgens or have more androgen receptors (something along these lines). I guess we'll see what my derm says. I emailed her today. I just want to find something that works!

You are completely right in saying you don't have to have excess androgens to get improvement in acne from anti androgens like spiro. Some women's horomone levels can be in what is considered normal levels and you can just be sensitive to androgens. They convert to testosterone which in turn stimulates oil glands and creates acne. Spiro would probably work for you. My daughter was having a problem with acne at the age of 15. I took her to a derm about 4 months before her 16th birthday. I asked about spiro. He said that he wouldn't prescribe it to an adolescent. He gave her birth control pills and clindamycin lotion. This combination has worked well for her. He wanted to give her Yasmin but I was scared because of all you hear about the blood clot risks. So we went with ortho tri cyclen regular. Her acne is so much better. She went from having 20 or more bumps that stayed forever to getting 1 or 2 occasionally. Today she had 2 small ones on her chin. I do think the Yasmin would probably have worked better though. I just wasn't comfortable with it. The derm mentioned accutane to us. But I told him that I read that for some people the acne returns. He said that is usually with women, and it is because they don't get their hormones under control, and that brings the acne back. He said he prescribes Yasmin or spiro to help with this. A good friend of my daughter had acne really bad for 4 years and Yasmin almost completely cleared her face. She starte getting acne when she was 12.

What kind of birth control do you take? It might not be the right one. Not all birth control pills are good for acne and many make it worse. Some have progesterone that is high in androgens.

I didnt ask the derm that day why he won't prescribe spiro to an adolescent. But about 2 weeks ago I went to my gynecologist for my annual appointment. I told him about my daughter and asked if he knew why the derm wouldn't give it to her. He said that he felt comfortable giving it to my daughter. She is 16 1/2 now. He said he just wouldnt give it to someone 13 or 14 . So you might want to ask a gyno about it. I thought about adding it with her birth control if her face doesn't clear up completely. I have heard of several people taking spiro with birth control. There was a girl on this board that was taking spiro with ortho tri cyclen about 8 or 9 months ago. She was 18 and still in high school. I think she was hopeful star. Also green gables on here knows a lot about spiro.

Anyway, best of luck to you. What did your derm say?

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 10/30/2012 9:50 pm

You are completely right in saying you don't have to have excess androgens to get improvement in acne from anti androgens like spiro. Some women's horomone levels can be in what is considered normal levels and you can just be sensitive to androgens. They convert to testosterone which in turn stimulates oil glands and creates acne. Spiro would probably work for you. My daughter was having a problem with acne at the age of 15. I took her to a derm about 4 months before her 16th birthday. I asked about spiro. He said that he wouldn't prescribe it to an adolescent. He gave her birth control pills and clindamycin lotion. This combination has worked well for her. He wanted to give her Yasmin but I was scared because of all you hear about the blood clot risks. So we went with ortho tri cyclen regular. Her acne is so much better. She went from having 20 or more bumps that stayed forever to getting 1 or 2 occasionally. Today she had 2 small ones on her chin. I do think the Yasmin would probably have worked better though. I just wasn't comfortable with it. The derm mentioned accutane to us. But I told him that I read that for some people the acne returns. He said that is usually with women, and it is because they don't get their hormones under control, and that brings the acne back. He said he prescribes Yasmin or spiro to help with this. A good friend of my daughter had acne really bad for 4 years and Yasmin almost completely cleared her face. She starte getting acne when she was 12.

What kind of birth control do you take? It might not be the right one. Not all birth control pills are good for acne and many make it worse. Some have progesterone that is high in androgens.

I didnt ask the derm that day why he won't prescribe spiro to an adolescent. But about 2 weeks ago I went to my gynecologist for my annual appointment. I told him about my daughter and asked if he knew why the derm wouldn't give it to her. He said that he felt comfortable giving it to my daughter. She is 16 1/2 now. He said he just wouldnt give it to someone 13 or 14 . So you might want to ask a gyno about it. I thought about adding it with her birth control if her face doesn't clear up completely. I have heard of several people taking spiro with birth control. There was a girl on this board that was taking spiro with ortho tri cyclen about 8 or 9 months ago. She was 18 and still in high school. I think she was hopeful star. Also green gables on here knows a lot about spiro.

That's very interesting. I was prescribed clindamycin gel when I was eleven (when I first started getting acne) and it worked wonders for my skin for about two years. When my acne got really bad I asked my pediatrician to put me on birth control pills, which didn't make any changes in my skin. And so went my long journey of topicals until I finally went to a dermatologist and asked for Accutane. You're right that acne often comes back. I still had two months left on Accutane when acne started coming back on my chin, which is why I think a hormonal treatment might be effective. I'd say the only true benefit of being on Accutane was getting rid of my oily skin, and I'm sure that will come back if I don't find another treatment.

I seriously considered asking my doctor for Yasmin, but some of the stories I've heard are extremely frightening! I was first put Ortho-Tri Cyclen, but I had constant spotting, so my pediatrician switched me to Levora, which I'm still taking. I actually researched this a while ago, and Levora does in fact contain a progesterone that is androgenic. I keep meaning to talk to my doctor about switching BCPs, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Im hopeful since your gynecologist said he would prescribe Spiro to your daughter at her age. If my dermatologist isn't willing to prescribe it to me, I'll definitely try talking to a gyno. If I still can't get it prescribed I might consider trying Yasmin. My derm didn't exactly answer my question when she emailed me back, but she scheduled an appointment to see me next week to talk about my options.

Anyways, thank you for all the information. I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me what you know. You have been very helpful!

MemberMember
(@katelibby)

Posted : 10/30/2012 10:05 pm

That's very interesting. I was prescribed clindamycin gel when I was eleven (when I first started getting acne) and it worked wonders for my skin for about two years. When my acne got really bad I asked my pediatrician to put me on birth control pills, which didn't make any changes in my skin. And so went my long journey of topicals until I finally went to a dermatologist and asked for Accutane. You're right that acne often comes back. I still had two months left on Accutane when acne started coming back on my chin, which is why I think a hormonal treatment might be effective. I'd say the only true benefit of being on Accutane was getting rid of my oily skin, and I'm sure that will come back if I don't find another treatment.

I seriously considered asking my doctor for Yasmin, but some of the stories I've heard are extremely frightening! I was first put Ortho-Tri Cyclen, but I had constant spotting, so my pediatrician switched me to Levora, which I'm still taking. I actually researched this a while ago, and Levora does in fact contain a progesterone that is androgenic. I keep meaning to talk to my doctor about switching BCPs, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Im hopeful since your gynecologist said he would prescribe Spiro to your daughter at her age. If my dermatologist isn't willing to prescribe it to me, I'll definitely try talking to a gyno. If I still can't get it prescribed I might consider trying Yasmin. My derm didn't exactly answer my question when she emailed me back, but she scheduled an appointment to see me next week to talk about my options.

Anyways, thank you for all the information. I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me what you know. You have been very helpful!

I think you need to switch birth control. It sounds like that is what is breaking you out. You are putting androgens right back in your body. My daughter first tried a different birth control and it made her acne go from mild to out of control. The ortho tri cyclen has been so much better for her. Another friend of hers cleared from taking ortho tri cyclen also. But it has to be regular, not the lo. But the biggest transformation I have seen is her friend who used Yasmin. She even had acne on her back and it cleared it all up. She only has a few spots on her chin now. She is 16 and had acne starting at 11 or 12. Since 6th grade. I almost wish we had done the Yasmin. But the birth control is your problem. The one you are using is bad for acne. Even if you get on spiro I would switch birth control. There are a few others that are supposed to be good for acne. Try doing a google search for best birth control for acne. Good luck