Notifications
Clear all

Starting Tonight! Roaccutane Log

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 10/28/2012 12:15 pm

Hellllllllloo! So I'm afraid I don't feel like typing up my whole acne history, but I've had it since I was 14, I'm 18 now, I know that eating too much dairy breaks me out badly, but I still break out anyway. Had IPL about 6 months ago and it was the worst breakout I've ever had in my life, and I am still dealing with the red marks it gave me. That's part of the reason I've decided to do this, every spot leaves a red mark, and that's just on top of the red marks I'm already having to deal with....I'm sick of wearing makeup all the time, my boyfriend hasn't even seen me without makeup, I'm scared to fall asleep with him in case my face touches his pillow and it rubs off, I don't let him touch my face, every time I talk to someone I'm always thinking 'They must think I'm disgusting'. It's stopping me from meeting new people, basically it really is the bane of my life. It's mild to moderate atm but it really affects my life and I feel like a gross alien in front of the general public!

But guys, I'm scared. Really, really, REALLY scared. Can anyone please give me a positive boost? I'm taking my first pill with dinner tonight.

I'll make a list of things that I'm trying to do/kinda like the 'rules' I'm setting myself whilst on this drug haha!! Lame, but it'll be a reminder to myself to do stuff like DRINK A LOT OF WATER etc! I weigh around 54kgs so apparently I'll be taking 20mg the first month and then 40 for the rest (6 months total). Anyone have any advice about this dosage?

I'll probably only update this when I feel like it, because I don't want to freak myself out with every little thing! I'll take photos to log my progress.

Acccckkkk!!! Also, this question is a little cheeky haha but does anyone have any advice on kissing whilst on accutane? HAHAHA I made myself cringe there but I don't want my boyfriend to feel like he's kissing sandpaper, if you know what I mean!? Oh also, is there a UK version of Neosporin or anything similar?

Thanks guys, any support along this 6 months will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 10/28/2012 12:39 pm

Okay so these are the 'rules' I am going to follow whilst on roaccutane:

• Stay off wheat/dairy as much as possible (have a slight problem with these)

• Drink loooooooooooooooooooots of water!!!

• Do light exercise, no strenuous exercise (not a problem for me as I am a lazy butt)

• Moisturize everywhere!!

• No heat on hair/no eyemakeup (so paranoid about hair loss sad.png )

• No alcohol

• As LITTLE skin picking as possible!

I think that's it for now....I need to pick up eye drops annndddd I will write what I am using:

Simple Cleanser (I think it's the one for sensitive skin)

Cerave Lotion (Will change to to the cream when too dry, I have a feeling it breaks me out though :/)

OH I'm forgetting everything, also

Olive oil to take off my makeup

This natural body moisturizer that I forgot the name of :S

Vivaderm moisturizer for exzcema (I spelled that right?! I may layer this)

Lavender oil to spot treat

OH and for my lips I have bag balm in the mail, and lots of vaseline and burts bees!

I am also taking supplements, the usuals really, fish oil for joints, biotin, probiotics, milk thistle etc. No vit a though obviously.

I honestly think probiotics prevented a huge breakout after coming off antibiotics!! Very important and has def. helped with my dodgy tummy!

Baaaaaahh dinner's ready. I'm taking it halfway through......so nervous. Wish me luck! I've also realized that I am going to be posting here a lot probably in these first couple of days, rambling helps calm my nerves!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/28/2012 12:48 pm

Good Luck! Accutane is a huge step and it is not smooth sailing but in my experience, it is so worth it.

Aquaphor has worked really well as a night time lip balm. Boots also has a really good cocoa butter lip gloss that is not as greasy and quite moisturizing.

Can't promise you that things won't get worse before they get better but i can somewhat assure you that almost all people that go on accutane see improvement if not complete clearance.

For me, accutane is not a cure but i am hoping that doing a repeat course and following up with topicals and diet changes will keep my skin relatively normal.

Good Luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask or pm me

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 10/28/2012 12:55 pm

Thanks so much!! Yeah, the initial breakout is my main concern at the moment :/ I'm trying to combat it by eating as healthily as possible (I eat healthy anyway, my mum's a health-nut haha!) and the non picking thing will hopefully help with scarring....ahhh scarring! I'm freaking myself out so much haha!

Do you have any knowledge on when to take supplements and accutane, I just took some supplements about 3 minutes ago haha (precise), can I take accutane at the same time or should I wait a while?

Thank you so much, it is GREATLY appreciated. I have a feeling this won't be easy for me!

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 10/28/2012 1:50 pm

I'm on my 4th month of tane , I'm eating dairy as hell , I have 2 actives , though I have a lot of red marks from the inital break out but they seem to fade.

Time flies , I'll be following this.

As for your boyfriend , I understand ur concern , but I wouldn't woory to much about your makeup rubbing of because of his pillow haha ,his ur boyfriend after all , if he loves you , he will love you without make up too trust me .

Good luck and take care!

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 10/28/2012 1:59 pm

Aw thank you for the kind words! I just took my first dose, cried my eyes out HAHA I was sitting there for ages just trying to get the courage to take the damn thing!

I'll take photos tomorrow as I'm all blotchy and red now haha!

My boyfriend said he'd support me with all this and I'm so grateful for him! I know what you mean, but I'd feel soooo much better if I had clear skin, he said he'd never even noticed my skin but I think about it all the time sad.png

This stuff better work!!! >;O DO YO STUFF ACCUTANE! If it does I'll be clear by my birthday, what a great 19th birthday present!

Continued good luck to you too :D

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 10/28/2012 2:10 pm

Aw thank you for the kind words! I just took my first dose, cried my eyes out HAHA I was sitting there for ages just trying to get the courage to take the damn thing!

I'll take photos tomorrow as I'm all blotchy and red now haha!

My boyfriend said he'd support me with all this and I'm so grateful for him! I know what you mean, but I'd feel soooo much better if I had clear skin, he said he'd never even noticed my skin but I think about it all the time sad.png

This stuff better work!!! >;O DO YO STUFF ACCUTANE! If it does I'll be clear by my birthday, what a great 19th birthday present!

Continued good luck to you too biggrin.png

Like your super-duper attitude ! Kill that acne!!

MemberMember
(@faded12)

Posted : 10/28/2012 3:41 pm

Good luck with your course. And hey if you're going through all the trouble of accutane you should eat all the wheat and dairy you want cool.png . I had a borderline eating disorder because of my skin, freaking out over everything I put in my mouth. " I can't eat this, that will give me acne" " I read online that dairy causes pimples so I can't that" etc etc...It sucked so bad and was one of the main reasons why I decided to go on accutane. Although I had noticed certain things seemed to make me break out more, since I've started accutane I've had no food rules and I have not been breaking out.

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 10/28/2012 3:59 pm

You have a very good point! I think I will definitely have more than I have now, but maybe just not in the initial breakout period and after my course. But if I want pizza, I am gunna have my pizza!! Good luck to you too, I'm following your log!

MemberMember
(@insonia)

Posted : 10/29/2012 2:47 am

Welcome on board, keep us posted on your journey while I update mine too! You can still smooch your bf. I find that the lips are super red, pouty when on oratane. That can be incredibly sexy.

Remember sunblock when you head out and drink tons of water

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 10/29/2012 3:02 am

Please don't do it it, taking accutane is my biggest regret. Don't take the risk- you have your whole life ahead of you and gambling with your ling term health is not worth it. Your acne will most likely come back ESP if your female as mine did. Try spiro it works to treat the hormonal issue instead of destroying your body on a cellular level. Pls....

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 10/29/2012 4:46 pm

Welcome on board, keep us posted on your journey while I update mine too! You can still smooch your bf. I find that the lips are super red, pouty when on oratane. That can be incredibly sexy.

Hey thanks! Hahaha thanks for the advice, I just hope it doesn't gross him out too much!

Please don't do it it, taking accutane is my biggest regret. Don't take the risk- you have your whole life ahead of you and gambling with your ling term health is not worth it. Your acne will most likely come back ESP if your female as mine did. Try spiro it works to treat the hormonal issue instead of destroying your body on a cellular level. Pls....

Listen, not to be disrespectful but all you are doing is panicking me and making me feel guilty about taking this drug. Seriously, my acne has more than once made me want to end it all so really, I think it's the best decision that I can take right now. I go to a performing school where I have to get up every week and sing in front of a whole crowd of people with clear skin and it SUCKS. I am in the UK and they do not prescribe spiro for acne. If it will most likely come back, why are they so many success stories? And I read some posts of yours, your derm put you on a high dose for a whole year, I am on a relatively low dose for 6 months. Please don't make me feel worse about taking this drug than I do. I seriously almost had a panic attack before I took it last night, and I am still very nervous about taking it tonight, so I didn't make this decision lightly. I am not living as I am, so I figured that if it works for me, it can change my life for the better. I'm incredibly sorry this happened to you though. What has your derm said?

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 10/29/2012 6:13 pm

If you think acne is bad, try living with life long side effects it doesnt matter if your course is 3/6/12 mnths, it depends on how your body reacts to it.

Acne can seem like to wroset thing in the world - until you are unknowingly fed chemotherapy.

My derm doesnt give a shit and Im left to deal with this on my own.

Hey thanks! Hahaha thanks for the advice, I just hope it doesn't gross him out too much!

MemberMember
(@faded12)

Posted : 10/29/2012 7:06 pm

In your about me everything you listed as a horrible severe side effect is cosmetic. Please, I don't mean to insult you but maybe this is more of a psychological issue and not a physical one. I feel like people are quick to blame acctutane for things that would have happened anyways. Before I started my course my hair was falling out like crazy!! I know that if this had happened while, or after, my course I would have for sure thought it was caused by accutane. The truth is I don't know why it happened. You are 31 years old and are going to be showing physical signs of aging, that may be hard for you to accept. Are your friends and family telling you, you look fine? We are our own worst critics. I'm sure you still look like yourself just try to hydrate and mositurize as much as possible and good luck.

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 10/29/2012 7:33 pm

Absolutely not. I was in perfect health before I ingested the drug.............................................................

My hair never fell, my skin was radiant & healthy albeit with some acne. I was 28 when I went on it so how can all these things happen within an 18 mnths period?????????????????????????????????????????

In your about me everything you listed as a horrible severe side effect is cosmetic. Please, I don't mean to insult you but maybe this is more of a psychological issue and not a physical one. I feel like people are quick to blame acctutane for things that would have happened anyways. Before I started my course my hair was falling out like crazy!! I know that if this had happened while, or after, my course I would have for sure thought it was caused by accutane. The truth is I don't know why it happened. You are 31 years old and are going to be showing physical signs of aging, that may be hard for you to accept. Are your friends and family telling you, you look fine? We are our own worst critics. I'm sure you still look like yourself just try to hydrate and mositurize as much as possible and good luck.

MemberMember
(@insonia)

Posted : 10/29/2012 8:30 pm

I just want to stress that it is important to see your doc/derm monthly so that he can evaluate your progress. My sister took 20 mg daily for 6 months. Her skin was much worse than mine. 3 years later, her skin is looking good and healthy. During that time, she visited the same doc faithfully every month during the 6 months. If you feel any discomfort, please do check with your derm.

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 10/30/2012 6:41 am

Thanks guys for the support. I cried about the state of my skin this morning and I have taken a day off uni, if I am missing days off of uni, then I will have no future anyway. See what I'm saying? If this works for me then I get my life back.

in other news, I guess it's kinda day 2 and I am breaking out on my neck?!?! I never have spots there!! It can't be the accutane already, surely? I stopped taking antibiotics a week ago so maybe it's just my body freaking out or something, idk.....I do have a random dry patch on my neck but I doubt that's the drug so early :S weird!

Tiny headache but I'm drinking a crapload of water haha. Probably not even accutane related!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/30/2012 6:48 am

Thanks guys for the support. I cried about the state of my skin this morning and I have taken a day off uni, if I am missing days off of uni, then I will have no future anyway. See what I'm saying? If this works for me then I get my life back.

in other news, I guess it's kinda day 2 and I am breaking out on my neck?!?! I never have spots there!! It can't be the accutane already, surely? I stopped taking antibiotics a week ago so maybe it's just my body freaking out or something, idk.....I do have a random dry patch on my neck but I doubt that's the drug so early :S weird!

Chloe, one thing that helped me get through my previous course was NOT looking at the state of my skin on a day to day basis. You'll only make yourself more depressed and thats not good at all. With accutane you will have good days and in the beginning, some very bad days. Just try to focus on the fact that if you are consistent with the course, take care of your body and such, you will have much better skin than what you started with. It also helps to take pictures weekly so that when you get discouraged, you can see just how much progress you have made.

If you ever want to chat, feel free to PM me. We are all in this together.

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 10/30/2012 6:56 am

Chloe, one thing that helped me get through my previous course was NOT looking at the state of my skin on a day to day basis. You'll only make yourself more depressed and thats not good at all. With accutane you will have good days and in the beginning, some very bad days. Just try to focus on the fact that if you are consistent with the course, take care of your body and such, you will have much better skin than what you started with. It also helps to take pictures weekly so that when you get discouraged, you can see just how much progress you have made.

If you ever want to chat, feel free to PM me. We are all in this together.

Thanks so much, really means a lot. And I don't mean to be rude to people who have suffered because of this drug, but coming onto my log and telling me to stop taking it AFTER I already have, especially when I am so nervous about it to begin with, is not helpful :( you know what I mean? It messed me up last night and I was even considering stopping. But after being so upset about my face this morning, I figured that I should carry on and hope for the best.

MemberMember
(@waseem-abbas)

Posted : 10/30/2012 7:21 am

you should carry on with a very strong belief that in the end you will get a clearer and smoother skin. Just try not to overdose yourself with this drug. Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. I am also on 20mg/day and its my 28th day. I went through a horrible initial breakout but i hung up there and I'm seeing very positive improvement in my skin day by day. I'll jump on 40mg/day after 2 days. I wish you all the very best for your course. :) cheers

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 10/30/2012 7:32 am

Thanks a lot Waseem! Good luck to you too! Ahhh everyone's so nice smile.png

Okay so I uploaded my photos! These hurt my feelings sad.png oof, right in the self esteem.

Hope that works :s! I also took a look at my breakout after IPL, daaamn that was awful. It was severe looking back at it, I don't know how I got through it!! I just hope it isn't that bad with the initial breakout. if it is though, I know I can get through it as I have before smile.png

I also decided to change my profile picture because I don't want anyone I know seeing this and finding out how bad my skin really is haha!

MemberMember
(@waseem-abbas)

Posted : 10/30/2012 7:39 am

That is the way to go chloe. Just prepare yourself for the initial breakout. Your acne is not that worse as mine was when i started accutane and it got even more worse the first 3 weeks. Just stay positive and hang in there. Comparing to 4 years you suffered from acne, 1 more month is worth it. :)

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 10/30/2012 7:42 am

You're right! Plus thankfully I have a lot of holidays coming up so I can hide at home if it gets really terrible :) I'm just worried about scarring, but if I don't pick and leave it alone then hopefully I should be okay!

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 10/30/2012 2:59 pm

Thanks for your positive words, ill be with you on this journey! I'm actually over the most severe part of my breakout but I have lots of cysts that are taking forever( months) to go away. My doctor keeps telling me the best thing I can do for myself is accutane so I am tryin to stay positive. I put mysel on anti anxiety meds so I don't turn into a total freakshow when my skin goes nutty again. I don't know how I'm supposed to go outside, putting makeup on is a joke!

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 10/30/2012 3:12 pm

You're welcome, and thank you! Ahh I see, actually that sounds like a good idea, the anti-anxiety meds. I know that I'll probably look in the mirror and want to cry over these next couple of months haha I'm not looking forward to it, looking at my skin now I can't even imagine it being clear, it's been so long!! I just hope this works for me! And for you!

I totally get the makeup thing, uugughghgh it's so weird, my skin gets flaky already even before accutane so makeup looks a mess! And I need so much of it :( can't wait to not need it (or as much, just concealer in areas would be fine!)