Notifications
Clear all

Help Needed! 🙂

MemberMember
(@leoario17)

Posted : 10/27/2012 3:11 pm

Hey guys, I'm 17 and have had acne for about 4 years now, it has improved over time and I've stopped breaking out over my forehead but seem to get pimples across my neck and jaw, as well as my shoulders and back. I've tried some treatments such as Clearasil but have never been persistent with it. Now I just use Sudocrem which is good but doesn't prevent breakouts. I've scheduled an appointment with my GP for Tuesday in hopes of getting Antibiotics... has anyone had success with Antibiotics (Excluding Accutane), can a GP even prescribe antibiotics for acne?

Thanks!

P.S my acne is mild/ moderate.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 10/27/2012 6:39 pm

The experience my family has seen with antibiotics and acne is only temporary, with a worsening of acne after the course of antibiotics is over. Hopefully others will share their experiences.

MemberMember
(@leoario17)

Posted : 10/30/2012 6:41 am

I was given Flucloxacillin antibiotics and Fucidin cream, any experience with these?

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/30/2012 7:47 am

I was given Flucloxacillin antibiotics and Fucidin cream, any experience with these?

Flucloxacillin is an antibiotic used to treat skin conditions. It is not normally used to treat acne, however. Flucidin cream contains the active ingredient fusidic acid, and it is not normally used to treat acne either, but folliculitis and eczema. It seems like your doctor thinks you have folliculitis and not acne - because you don't have these 'spots' where there are barely any hair follicles it is likely to be folliculitis rather than acne, or maybe you have both, I don't know, you don't describe what kind of skin you have.

I have taken Flucloxacillin to treat my infected ingrown toenail, but that's about it.

To me it sounds like your GP doesn't think you have acne, maybe arrange an appointment and clarify what their opinion is?

Btw, you have to persevere with treatment for it to work and be consistent...nothing works overnight

MemberMember
(@leoario17)

Posted : 10/30/2012 7:54 am

Flucloxacillin is an antibiotic used to treat skin conditions. It is not normally used to treat acne, however. Flucidin cream contains the active ingredient fusidic acid, and it is not normally used to treat acne either, but folliculitis and eczema. It seems like your doctor thinks you have folliculitis and not acne - because you don't have these 'spots' where there are barely any hair follicles it is likely to be folliculitis rather than acne, or maybe you have both, I don't know, you don't describe what kind of skin you have.

I have taken Flucloxacillin to treat my infected ingrown toenail, but that's about it.

To me it sounds like your GP doesn't think you have acne, maybe arrange an appointment and clarify what their opinion is?

Btw, you have to persevere with treatment for it to work and be consistent...nothing works overnight

The GP told me that it's acne, and then told me to try this for two weeks and see how it goes. I guess I'll just have to wait and see..