Notifications
Clear all

Post Fraxel.. Still Scarred.. Pics Inside

MemberMember
(@turd)

Posted : 10/26/2012 10:58 pm

2 fraxel restore sessions with subcision... about 9 months ago

heres what im left with..

30% improvement nothing major but what are my next options? Fillers?

post-37983-0-59926500-1351310194_thumb.j

post-37983-0-38090500-1351310206_thumb.j

post-37983-0-27768800-1351310222_thumb.j

post-37983-0-59005800-1351310236_thumb.j

post-37983-0-83215600-1351310252_thumb.j

post-37983-0-59926500-1351310194_thumb.j

post-37983-0-38090500-1351310206_thumb.j

post-37983-0-27768800-1351310222_thumb.j

post-37983-0-59005800-1351310236_thumb.j

post-37983-0-83215600-1351310252_thumb.j

MemberMember
(@greg098)

Posted : 10/26/2012 11:02 pm

My thread might help you. My scars were just like yours, possibly even worse and I have received good results! http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/306901-my-acne-scar-journey/

MemberMember
(@turd)

Posted : 10/26/2012 11:12 pm

yeah they are similar.. any idea what to do with the line on my forehead and around my mouth?

I dont have $4500 to shell out either :( the subcision and fraxel restore cost me 600 each session and I had two sessions

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 10/27/2012 1:10 am

The scarring on your cheeks isn't too bad, and I think if you keep up you will eventually see great results. For the scarring on your cheeks, I strongly suggest doing a few more rounds of subcision. Subcision works best after multiple treatments. Or you can just get a yearly filler. Since your scarring is few in number, a filler might be the best option.

For the forehead lines, the best advice I can give you is to always be conscious of facial expressions. I am always aware of my facial expressions, and I make sure to never make expressions that will put lines in my forehead. For this reason my forehead is very smooth. To relax the muscles you can get botox.

You also mentioned you got Fraxel restore. Re:store wont do anything for you, you should have gotten Fraxel re:pair. Fraxel re:pair may also help with your scars and the lines you worry about.

For the line near your mouth, I think you may be able to get that injected.

You may want to also start using topicals. Topicals wont do anything dramatic but they will help further wrinkles and lines from popping up quickly.

I recommend Alpha Hydrox Souffle 12%, and Retin-A or Tazorac. Retin-A is cheaper than Tazorac and can be purchased in generic form for cheaper at Costco.

So to recap. Start using Alpha Hydrox Souffle 12% and Retin-A. (don't use together, use one at night, the other during the day)

Try subcision again or go for a yearly filler (stay away from silicone)

lasers try Fraxel Re:Pair or Lumenis deepFX/activeFX/TotalFX

MemberMember
(@turd)

Posted : 10/27/2012 11:39 am

Thanks for the reply

yeah i think im going to go and get more subcision done.. the first person who did the 2 subcisions and fraxel restores on me said "thats enough subcision" and didnt do it past the 2nd time.

Also yeah I always squint and make "angry faces" during basketball which scrunches up my forehead lines ... i think they are also due to tanning.. i tan like twice a week for the past 6 years lol.

Which type of fillers would work best for my mouth lines? And the cheeks

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 10/27/2012 2:01 pm

Also yeah I always squint and make "angry faces" during basketball which scrunches up my forehead lines ... i think they are also due to tanning.. i tan like twice a week for the past 6 years lol.

You tan 2x a week for the past 6 years?

You think? Did you not get the memo that tanning causes skin cancer and pre-mature facial lines, wrinkles and age spots?

As far as the fillers, I don't keep up with the different brands. Just get one that lasts yearly, don't go for anything super permanent in case you don't like the results.

MemberMember
(@datura)

Posted : 10/27/2012 2:53 pm

You have to get some kind of filler to raise the level of your skin. In my personal opinion, non ablative lasers will do virtually nothing for scarring and ablative lasers are not worth the expense and risk. I had dermal grafts with good results, but am still seeking perfection. If you will be happy with just improvement, I would recommend dermal grafts or failing that, subcision with some type of filler. Finding a doctor experienced in treating acne scarring is the most important thing though, even more important than the procedure.

MemberMember
(@turd)

Posted : 10/27/2012 3:49 pm

what am I looking for price wise for subcision and fillers... im guessing subcision will need to be done more than once again

fillers one time every 2 years.. i heard radiesse goes 2-3 years

MemberMember
(@datura)

Posted : 10/27/2012 4:14 pm

You're looking to spend a few hundred dollars on each subcision. Check out this thread about this user's experience with subcision. It's really informative. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/232731-man-in-the-mirror-pre-and-post-subcision-photos/

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 10/27/2012 5:12 pm

Just want to chime in that tanning yourself twice a week is a sure way to destroy any collagen- forming treatments that you are considering. If you are a smoker, you're doing even more damage to your skin.

Stay away from the tanning booths and the beach if you are serious about improving your complexion. Sunscreen and topicals can be your skin's best friend.

MemberMember
(@rob_x_22)

Posted : 10/27/2012 8:42 pm

i been tanning once a week forever but i cover my face ....dunno if it matters....should i stop doing this while dermarolling ....i also work outside everyday but do wear spf45 sun screen is that good enough?

MemberMember
(@turd)

Posted : 11/07/2012 2:06 pm

Just got back from the doctor and he says subcision and fillers would be pointless and expensive for me at this point with my wavy like and ice pick scars

he recommended fractional laser.. $1500

I dont have $1500.... whats the next step for me?

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 11/07/2012 3:15 pm

Just got back from the doctor and he says subcision and fillers would be pointless and expensive for me at this point with my wavy like and ice pick scars

I think you should get a 2nd and 3rd opinion from different doctors.

MemberMember
(@turd)

Posted : 11/07/2012 5:55 pm

well my first wanted to continue doing fraxel restore.. then randomly just wanted to inject radiesse and i let her but i didnt notice much difference with that

then this guy says restore and fraxel all together is outdated and fractional is the better way to go./

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 11/07/2012 6:25 pm

well my first wanted to continue doing fraxel restore.. then randomly just wanted to inject radiesse and i let her but i didnt notice much difference with that

then this guy says restore and fraxel all together is outdated and fractional is the better way to go./

Re:store is Fraxel, and both are fractional. (Fractional just means it delivers the laser beam in several tiny columns. The advantage to conventional laser is that you preserve healthy skin in between in each column, allowing for quicker recovery, deeper penetration and reduced complications)

Fraxel is a trademarked brand name for a line of laser machines manufactured by Solta Medical.

Fraxel Re:store is non-ablative erbium based fractional.

There is also Fraxel Re:pair which is also fractional, however Re:pair is CO2 based and is ablative. It is considered stronger.

There are several other companies who make both fractional erbium and CO2 lasers including Lumenis. Lumenis has been in the industry for years and is considered to be the leader in UltraPulse C02 technology. Their CO2 fractional treatments are known as DeepFX, ActiveFX, TotalFX and ScaarFx.

I see some scars on your face that look perfect for subcision, but then again what do i know, I'm not a doctor. I still think you should get another opinion. Do research and find a good doctor. As far as the price of treatments go I understand. It is expensive. However, if it is really depressing you and you would feel happier in your everyday life, then I say put it on credit. Either put it on a credit card and just pay it off monthly, or see if you can get a cosmetic loan as long as the interest and terms are reasonable.

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 11/07/2012 7:03 pm

Next step? Start getting the nutrients your body needs. Premature aging is the result of nutrition deficiency. Also toxins entering your body causes your body to break down.

I would recommend for you to stop eating all processed food, grains, sugar, food additives, and synthetic chemicals. Now to the average modern-day person, this can seem really hard. It's in over 80% of the food in grocery stores and 99% in fast food.

High Fructose Corn Syrup, Aspartame, Fluoride, MSG, Refined Oils (Soybean oil, Canola oil, etc) are all extremely toxic to your body and causes premature aging. The sad thing is, a lot of people are ingesting these chemicals daily; you're literally attacking your body.

The best way around these carcinogens is to start eating whole foods. Vegetables, Organic meat, eggs, nuts, seeds, and fruits. Basically all the stuff on the side of the stores. Anything pre-packaged in a box is most likely horrible for your health.

You shouldn't have to worry about the sun when tanning. In fact, the sun is extremely important and good for you (given that you aren't burning). With adequate nutrition, your skin will produce it's own sun block. I tan everyday and I have smooth and soft skin. Sunblocks to the contrary are very harmful for you. Anything you put on your skin gets absorbed into your system, and sun blocks contain some pretty nasty and harsh chemicals known to cause cancer.

I would start supplementing your vitamins/minerals and your EFA's.

20,000 IU Vitamin A

50 mg zinc picolinate

6-9 g Omega 3's

B complex including b12 (taken throughout the day;water soluble)

5 g Vitamin C (taken throughout the day;water soluble)

You'll still need all 90 vitamins and minerals, but those specifically help with skin health tremendously.

Best of luck.

MemberMember
(@aquasea)

Posted : 11/07/2012 7:37 pm

Your skin looks very dehydrated. This makes scarring and wrinkles worse. I have endured major skin damage from "overdosing" on Benzoyl Peroxide (BP). I have spent the last 2 plus years correcting the damage. I finally was able to stop my acne by becoming a vegan and eating mostly raw, healthy, organic wholefoods (plus using only natural skin products like sea-salt, crystal deodorant stick [really this helps], tea tree oil, lavender oil etc). However, once the acne was under control, I had to stop using these products as they were very drying. I've used the skin needling technique for over a year and my rolling scars have improved dramatically. However, I had major skin damage on my forehead through BP. Also, although I don't have acne anymore, I had red marks, hyperpigmented skin (which I can cover with make-up, but would prefer not too). However, my skin is 95% improved. The following tips might help you also like it did for me:

1. Firstly, eat lots of fruit & vegetables, green salads and freshly made vegetable / fruit juices daily....also avocados are great too.These willl help reverse aging. Also nuts & seeds are good. Look into having Chlorella, Spirulina, Chia Seeds and Chlorophyl daily...these are super foods/ tonics.

2. Drink natural spring water only (not tap water).

3. Use mineral/ herbal toothpaste not flouride toothpaste (very bad for your health/ skin).

4. Look at the clearskincare.com website and think about purchasing their 'New Skin' product with Vitamin A (warning: this might make you break out a little, so use it on & off - cost $40) and hyaluronnic acid (an excellent skin moisterizer that won't make you break-out).

Otherwise, you can try the following steps as it's worked to repair my skin, get rid of my red pigmentation and deepy hydrate & repair my skin cells (however, note that using artificial/ chemical/ mineral based products is NOT a longterm solution, you MUST go back to using ONLY natural products like 100% organic cold-pressed coconut oil or 100% natural skin care products with NO chemicals to ensure you have longterm health and skin heath). Here are my other recommended steps:

- Use a glycolic skin peel at home (35% strength) once every 3 or 4 months. Note, at first it makes the skin dehydrated, but after a few days, it activates the skin to tighten, heal and repair...you can try using it once a month for 3-4 months and then space them out yearly later. You can also go to a salon to do these or a dermatologist.

- Weekly (or twice a week) skin needling with copper serum, vitamin c (see clearskincare.com)

-Don't shower everday (once or twice a week is plenty!)and try only washing your face rarely or only with natural spring water/ face mist, or go to the beach/ use rain water. Tap water has chlorine, flouride and other nasties. Avoid!!!

- Use hyalauronic acid daily (see clearskincom.au)

- TRY NIVEA CREME (IN THE BLUE TIN, GERMAN VERSION). NOTE: THIS IS NOT A GREAT LONGTERM MOISTERIZER AS IT HAS MINERAL OIL & CHEMICALS, BUT IT IS EXCELLENT SHORT TERM AS IT WILL HELP REHYDRATE YOUR SKIN LIKE NO OTHER MOISTERIZER [except for maybe La Mer which is about $200]. I have been using Nivea Creme for a short time only and already my skin has become amazingly smooth, dewy and repaired. I mix it with a little Tea Tree Oil to avoid any break-outs from using this thick rich hydrating creme. Apart from 1-2 small spots it seems to have induced on my skin, it has made my skin so hydrated, youthful and healthy looking. It's also helped erase my red pigmentation and repair/ rehydrate my severely damaged skin cells on my forehead like nothing else has!! My red pigmentation is nearly gone. And my forehead is looking hydrated and dewy. You should try it. It's very cheap (but just use Nivea Creme for a short time like 6 months, and then go to another 100% natural product). I just slather on alot of it at night before I go to sleep (basically, I place it on like a white creme face mask) and then only dab a little in the morning with tea tree oil. I also apply pure vitamin e under my eyes.

Anyway, this has worked for me and I'm sure for you too. Please give this product a go for a month and see how quickly and deeply this product can help repair/ hydrate/ soften/ smooth your skin.

Cheers,

AS smile.png

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 11/07/2012 8:14 pm

I would start supplementing your vitamins/minerals and your EFA's.

20,000 IU Vitamin A

50 mg zinc picolinate

6-9 g Omega 3's

B complex including b12

5 g Vitamin C

You'll still need all 90 vitamins and minerals, but those specifically help with skin health tremendously.

Best of luck.

I completely and strongly disagree with this persons recommendation.

Please do your own research and talk to a qualified doctor before you take mega doses of any supplement.

Always remember, if you don't have a deficiency for a vitamin or mineral, then mega dosing may cause a wide range of physiological problems including toxicity, a decrease in the absorption and availability of other nutrients, birth defects, and the trigger, nourishment and acceleration of tumor growth... just to name a few.

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 11/07/2012 10:18 pm

There's always going to be people like SanJoseSkin who are completely misinformed. Vitamins and minerals are required for every cell in your body (over 50 trillion). Most people are vitamin/mineral/fats deficient and to assume you aren't deficient is laughable. Over 90% of people are deficient in a vitamin you can get for free! (Vitamin D by the sun which he is also trying to fear monger you from)

The dosages I posted above are no where near toxic levels, and water soluble vitamins are non-toxic. Some people are taking 10, 15, 30 grams of vitamin C with great results. I personally only take 5grams of vitamin c, and noticed a HUGE difference in my health since (in conjunction with the other vitamins and minerals). I never get sick, my allergies disappeared, more energy, more vitality, better skin, and the list could go on. Although he is right with one part, that certain vitamins and minerals are co-factors of each other and are needed to be taken together. That's why you take the entire B-complex and not just one of them, for example.

It's safe to assume most of us are vitamin and mineral deficient. I wouldn't completely rely on your doctor or your dermatologist for your own health. Be your own doctor, take care of your health yourself. Doctors now-a-days are only drug pushers, and can be the demise of your health.

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 11/08/2012 12:09 am

There's always going to be people like SanJoseSkin who are completely misinformed. Vitamins and minerals are required for every cell in your body (over 50 trillion). Most people are vitamin/mineral/fats deficient and to assume you aren't deficient is laughable. Over 90% of people are deficient in a vitamin you can get for free! (Vitamin D by the sun which he is also trying to fear monger you from)

The dosages I posted above are no where near toxic levels, and water soluble vitamins are non-toxic. Some people are taking 10, 15, 30 grams of vitamin C with great results. I personally only take 5grams of vitamin c, and noticed a HUGE difference in my health since (in conjunction with the other vitamins and minerals). I never get sick, my allergies disappeared, more energy, more vitality, better skin, and the list could go on. Although he is right with one part, that certain vitamins and minerals are co-factors of each other and are needed to be taken together. That's why you take the entire B-complex and not just one of them, for example.

It's safe to assume most of us are vitamin and mineral deficient. I wouldn't completely rely on your doctor or your dermatologist for your own health. Be your own doctor, take care of your health yourself. Doctors now-a-days are only drug pushers, and can be the demise of your health.

Editing my original comment. I'm not going to argue with you.

MemberMember
(@turd)

Posted : 11/08/2012 12:26 am

Thanks for the suggestion but nothing about what I eat is affecting me

I compete in bodybuilding competitions the last thing I need is advice on health lol

But yes my skin does get dry.. I have olay regenerist microscultping cream i use everyday now.. also olay night elixr resurfacing gel I use at nights.

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 11/08/2012 12:44 am

You know nothing about me or my educational background. Nor do you know anything about my academic knowledge on this particular subject. I promise you I am not misinformed. However, it does appear you are. You also stated, "It's safe to assume most of us are vitamin and mineral deficient," which is also a false statement.

When did I claim to know anything about you or your education or your academic knowledge? I simply said you're misinformed - And I can promise and prove you are. I'm not going to turn the OP's thread into a debate, but I will suggest for you to do some research and back up your claims with some articles. For you to think that most people have adequate nutrition just shows how much off the loop you are in reality.

http://www.scientifi...y-united-states

http://ajcn.nutritio...7/4/1080S.short

http://www.alienview.net/zfat.html

Illness is skyrocketing, Diseases are increasing tenfold, Obesity is a pandemic - All due to vitamin/mineral/EFA deficiency.

MemberMember
(@sndr)

Posted : 11/08/2012 2:55 pm

You think? Did you not get the memo that tanning causes skin cancer and pre-mature facial lines, wrinkles and age spots?

As far as the fillers, I don't keep up with the different brands. Just get one that lasts yearly, don't go for anything super permanent in case you don't like the results.

You, alike most people in the world, are oblivious and vacuum in the nonsense that you hear on television and the radio.

Let me make it very clear for the people that come here and read this.

Tanning whether in the sun or on a tanning bed, with excessive exposure, CAN cause a skin cancer. With that being said, as long as you're not baking yourself every day in a bed or out in the sun all day every day, you don't really need to worry about skin cancer. To put it short and simple, the crap they're talking on the radio is only the half truth. Tanning beds or UV rays directly from the sun, as long as its done in moderation will not cause skin cancer, unless you're really really unlucky. Tanning beds are absolutely safe as long as the individual using them knows that a very spaced out schedule in between sessions is the ideal AND normal way to use them. If you drink too much water, you can drown your body. If you eat too much food, your body will reject it and can cause vomiting. IF you tan TOO MUCH, you can burn your skin and eventually it can lead to skin cancer, but if you're not a Jersy Shore wanna-be and are smart enough to know the dos and donts, you should not have any problem tanning in a tanning bed, or out in the sun for that matter.

How do I know all this? A little hint of common-sense and I have my own tanning bed. Also... I've work at a tanning salon for the past 7 years.

I think it's very important people know this because often people will read too much into what they say in the media, they forget to do the research for themselves. Tut tut.

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 11/09/2012 12:11 am

You, alike most people in the world, are oblivious and vacuum in the nonsense that you hear on television and the radio.

Let me make it very clear for the people that come here and read this.

Tanning whether in the sun or on a tanning bed, with excessive exposure, CAN cause a skin cancer. With that being said, as long as you're not baking yourself every day in a bed or out in the sun all day every day, you don't really need to worry about skin cancer. To put it short and simple, the crap they're talking on the radio is only the half truth. Tanning beds or UV rays directly from the sun, as long as its done in moderation will not cause skin cancer, unless you're really really unlucky. Tanning beds are absolutely safe as long as the individual using them knows that a very spaced out schedule in between sessions is the ideal AND normal way to use them. If you drink too much water, you can drown your body. If you eat too much food, your body will reject it and can cause vomiting. IF you tan TOO MUCH, you can burn your skin and eventually it can lead to skin cancer, but if you're not a Jersy Shore wanna-be and are smart enough to know the dos and donts, you should not have any problem tanning in a tanning bed, or out in the sun for that matter.

How do I know all this? A little hint of common-sense and I have my own tanning bed. Also... I've work at a tanning salon for the past 7 years.

I think it's very important people know this because often people will read too much into what they say in the media, they forget to do the research for themselves. Tut tut.

Who cares about skin cancer here, we care about SCARS and any little bit of that tanning will greatly deplete any little bit of collagen you are trying to build, not to mention probably dehydrate your skin more and lead to more hyperpigmentation as well. You will also age prematurely getting wrinkles like the ones on the forehead the op is trying to get rid of.

About scar treatments, if you don't have $1500 about the only thing that might have some good benefits for the scars pictured, is possibly selphyl injected, which might range from $700 - $1000 depending on where you go. It can be done all over your face, in the forehead wrinkles, everywhere, and if you don't get great results on the scars at least it should work good for wrinkles. It is safe, unlike the radiesse you had. I've had microdrop silicone with no problems, but have heard really bad stories about radiesse, and even had a doctor tell me it is really unreliable, don't get it anymore near your eyes because it can move and is known for causing problems there.

Otherwise you could start dermarolling, dermastamping, and maybe get a derm to inject saline into your scars, that is pretty cheap and can act like subcision, look it up on these boards if you are unfamiliar. Sorry the fraxel restore didn't work out for you, that is typical. After that and radiesse didn't work for you I would suggest you not go back to your doctor who performed them or if you do, demand free saline treatments or selphyl or dermaroller if they do it. I hate seeing people ripped off. It makes me mad I too have been ripped off on fillers that disappeared after a week. Scars like the OP's and mine are very hard to treat with filler. Some people think it should be easy but often the injections go deepr and just lift the scars up higher, but they are still there, easily visible.