Has Anyone Been To ...

Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Been To A Doctor Regarding Oily Skin?

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 10/26/2012 1:30 pm

Hi guys,

I am sick of my excessively oily hair scalp and T-Zone despite having kind a drish cheeks. I would understand if I was in my teens but the problem has been going on for so long and now I am 34 but still suffer from this problem which is the main reason for the persistent (but not too bad) spots I get mainly on my forehead in the recent months/years so there must be something going on in my body despite following a kind of healthy diet lately and having an active life style with lots of exercising etc.

Next time I see my doctor I will ask him to give me something to sort out the oiliness or at least identify the cause because I am sick of it affecting my life.

I just wanted to ask if someone spoke to their doctor about the oiliness before and what was their response.

I remember chatting to some girl I met off her years ago and she used to have very oily skin and bad acne as a result but her problem was caused by some problem in her thyroid gland. She said it was some tumor affecting the thyroid gland and she had to have a surgery and her problem was solved!

Thanks

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 10/27/2012 12:59 am

I haven't personally, but I asked a similar question and got some responses here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/320116-has-anyone-been-to-an-endocrinologist-for-oily-skin/

The general consensus was that their oily skin was not caused by high androgen levels, because their hormone tests came back normal.

Oily skin could possibly be caused by sebaceous glands that are too sensitive to androgens, but I don't know how to make them less sensitive.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/27/2012 12:01 pm

Yeah, I have a few years ago, had one hormone test, came back normal...I am considering asking for another one, as your hormone levels change all the time

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 10/28/2012 8:01 am

Yeah, I have a few years ago, had one hormone test, came back normal...I am considering asking for another one, as your hormone levels change all the time

Was the test requested by your GP or a dermatologist and how difficult was it to convince them of doing the test?

I am sick of my oily skin despite reaching mid 30's (I am male) so probably I need to talk to my GP and ask them to do a test and try to identify why my forehead and hair scalp get very oily!

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/28/2012 9:28 am

Was the test requested by your GP or a dermatologist and how difficult was it to convince them of doing the test?

I am sick of my oily skin despite reaching mid 30's (I am male) so probably I need to talk to my GP and ask them to do a test and try to identify why my forehead and hair scalp get very oily!

It was my GP, it wasn't difficult to convince them, but I know what you mean, especially nowadays, with cutbacks, it's getting harder and harder to squeeze referrals and costly treatments out of GPs, obviously they don't want to 'waste' time and money on you. I suggest you exaggerate your problem, and say your oily skin is seriously affecting the quality of your life, etc. etc.

I don't like lying to my doctor, but that seems to be pretty much the only way to get anything done on the NHS...I had to go through 3 months of b******it excuses before I got an MRI of my knee and it turned out I have osteoarthritis [at my age!!!]

I'm going off topic here, but if you say your oily skin is making you depressed, you're pretty much guaranteed at least a hormone test.

MemberMember
(@w3iw3i)

Posted : 10/28/2012 9:32 am

I've consulted three different dermatologists and two of them basically told me I have to learn to live with it (amazing advice, ain't it?) and the third one gave me an Accutane presciption.

I've been taking Saw Palmetto for about 10 days (480mg/day), I don't want to jinx it but my skin seems a little less greasy, albeit still very oily.

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 10/28/2012 10:57 am

It was my GP, it wasn't difficult to convince them, but I know what you mean, especially nowadays, with cutbacks, it's getting harder and harder to squeeze referrals and costly treatments out of GPs, obviously they don't want to 'waste' time and money on you. I suggest you exaggerate your problem, and say your oily skin is seriously affecting the quality of your life, etc. etc.

I don't like lying to my doctor, but that seems to be pretty much the only way to get anything done on the NHS...I had to go through 3 months of b******it excuses before I got an MRI of my knee and it turned out I have osteoarthritis [at my age!!!]

I'm going off topic here, but if you say your oily skin is making you depressed, you're pretty much guaranteed at least a hormone test.

Thank you for the information.

Actually, yes, it has had a bad impact on my life and damaged my self-confidence greatly.

My scalp and forehead in particular get very oily. As soon as 3 hours after shampooing it gets oily and shiny plus the mild pimples I get almost on regular basis mainly on my forehead.

When I was a teenager I was thinking that the problem would go when I am older but here I am mid 30's and still suffering and think about it on daily basis!

Probably I will book an appointment soon and request that something is done about it.

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 10/29/2012 3:50 pm

I've consulted three different dermatologists and two of them basically told me I have to learn to live with it (amazing advice, ain't it?) and the third one gave me an Accutane presciption.

I've been taking Saw Palmetto for about 10 days (480mg/day), I don't want to jinx it but my skin seems a little less greasy, albeit still very oily.

Hi there, I'm also on Saw Palmetto, same dosage. Only been taking it for a week though. Will be interesting to see if it actually does anything!

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 11/02/2012 5:13 am

I have! The first thing they put me on is Benzoyl Peroxide, works wonderfully... minus the redness and flaky skin.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 11/02/2012 10:50 am

I have! The first thing they put me on is Benzoyl Peroxide, works wonderfully... minus the redness and flaky skin.

I very much doubt Benzoyl Peroxide would reduce sebum production.

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 11/03/2012 5:45 am

When did I ever say it did?

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 11/03/2012 5:52 am

Well, I presumed you were answering the OP's question, which is 'Has anyone been to a doctor regarding oily skin'... and your answer is "they put me on BP, works wonderfully", which led me to think BP helped your oily skin..

Maybe I got it wrong and you were talking about something else?

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 11/03/2012 6:07 am

Well, I presumed you were answering the OP's question, which is 'Has anyone been to a doctor regarding oily skin'... and your answer is "they put me on BP, works wonderfully", which led me to think BP helped your oily skin..

No, I answered the OP's question. "Has anyone been to a doctor regarding oily skin" ---> I went to the doctor because of oily skin and they told gave me a prescription for BP. Also it did help my oily skin, never said it reduced sebum production...that's accutane.

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 11/03/2012 6:56 am

I have been to my doctor and he did not think it is to do with hormones. I asked for a blood test just to make sure that my thyroid gland is fine for peace of mind. I know at least one person whose excessively oily skin among other problems was resulting from a problem in the thyroid gland and once she had that fixed, the problem is gone for good. What made me ask for that as well is that I sweat easily and sweat a lot. Excessive sweating among other things could be a symptom of a problem in the thyroid gland. Will update you once I get my results.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/03/2012 8:22 am

I have been to my doctor and he did not think it is to do with hormones. I asked for a blood test just to make sure that my thyroid gland is fine for peace of mind. I know at least one person whose excessively oily skin among other problems was resulting from a problem in the thyroid gland and once she had that fixed, the problem is gone for good. What made me ask for that as well is that I sweat easily and sweat a lot. Excessive sweating among other things could be a symptom of a problem in the thyroid gland. Will update you once I get my results.

Interesting, I suffer from excessive sweating too...I always wondered if there was a connection between oily skin and sweating, or maybe the excessive excretion of all bodily fluids, lol, I don't know how to phrase this differently. My thryroid is fine, btw.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 11/04/2012 2:16 am

No, I answered the OP's question. "Has anyone been to a doctor regarding oily skin" ---> I went to the doctor because of oily skin and they told gave me a prescription for BP. Also it did help my oily skin, never said it reduced sebum production...that's accutane.

Fair enough. So what did it do for your oily skin?

MemberMember
(@pooratbest)

Posted : 11/06/2012 6:31 am

This is really interesting, I'm in my late twenties, from the UK, with nasty oily skin and I also suffer a bit from excess sweating!

MemberMember
(@saint-loup)

Posted : 11/06/2012 4:00 pm

Same here. 30 years old, oily skin and excess sweating. Last time I checked, a couple of years ago, my thryroid was ok...eusa_think.gif [ A bad workin' thyroid is often linked with anxiety, too ]

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 11/08/2012 5:14 am

I will find out my test results today. Will update you once I find out... I am nervous LoL

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 11/08/2012 7:39 am

They said my thyroid is working normally. So that is one thing off the list.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/08/2012 2:44 pm

What other tests are you having? Update us on the results! smile.png