Notifications
Clear all

Why Didn't I Think Of This Before? My Acne Is Finally Under Control!

MemberMember
(@smash01)

Posted : 10/26/2012 1:07 pm

I've posted on here before regarding my acne and also regarding my post hyperpigmentation. I've tried everything (along with half the people on here) and I felt the more expensive the product the better it will work. Or the more in depth the regimen the better it will work. Wrong!! I've found that staying simple with the regimen is the BEST way to rid yourself of acne.

I've only been using this regimen a few days and I already see a HUGE difference in my skin. My skin was all over the place with white heads and cysts that were deep under the skin and were inflamed and red and hurt along with my hyperpigmentation from previous acne. My face wasn't terrible but I had enough problem areas to make me feel insecure.

Here is what I found:

Epsom salt!! It works miracles! I've never read a bad thing about it and it works for everything else so why not acne? I sometimes use it as a mask combinding two parts epsom salt to one part water to make a paste. It's pretty messy but it works. I'll pat it all over my face and let it dry which only takes a few minutes then I use warm water to wash it off and while I'm washing it off I lightly rub in circular motions to exfoliate the skin. It leaves my skin softer and brighter than ANY face wash I've ever used before.

After I've dried my face I wait about 10 minutes to make sure it's completely dry and then I apply a mixture I made of water and a few drops of tea tree oil onto a cotton ball and dab that all over my face until its dried. I've found that tea tree oil at full strength is too strong for my skin. So this is my toner.

After that's dried I apply a thin layer of moisturizer that contains SPF.

I use this regimen twice a day (morning and night). I swear by this. It's the ONLY thing that has worked for me. After a couple of days my cysts are shrinking in size and I've developed no new acne and my red hyperpigmentation marks are fading. The tea tree oil has a strong scent and its not very flattering but I'll take having an odd smelling face over having acne any day!

Try using the epsom salt on your face and you'll see what I'm talking about! A 6 pound bag is $5! You can also use a hand full of this in the shower and use it as a body scrub too. It leaves your skin feeling soft and smooth.

MemberMember
(@leetjewhax)

Posted : 11/01/2012 5:22 pm

Hmmmm, I usually use epsom salts for putting in the bath to help me relax, i kinda want too try this out but i just order the regiem kit :/

MemberMember
(@smash01)

Posted : 11/03/2012 1:44 pm

It has helped my face like you wouldn't believe. I have no new acne forming and all the old acne I had is basically gone. If the kit doesn't give you good results definitely try the epsom salt. I have some in a cup in the shower (in a place where water won't get it) and after I use a wash cloth to exfoliate any left over make up or dead skin off my face I dump some epsom salt in my hand and rub it all over my face. It's better used in the shower I guess because its less messy!

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 11/03/2012 2:43 pm

I tried epsom salts a few times and it made me break out. It may have been because I was rubbing it in instead of dabbing though.

MemberMember
(@smash01)

Posted : 11/04/2012 3:33 pm

How long did you use it for? Because like a lot of products used on your face to help acne, it will make your acne worse before it makes it better. The epsom salt draws the toxins out of your body so when you first start using it, it will draw the acne that hasn't formed yet out from under the skin.

MemberMember
(@michael2012)

Posted : 12/20/2012 9:29 am

Yeah iv been using epsom salt 2 weeks and its worked great its does bring them out though but after a month or so when everything is out you should start gettin clear. You'll start seeing good results straight away though. How is it treating you?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/01/2014 7:55 pm

I'm currently trying epsom salt on my acne. I think it helped my clogged pores from becoming inflamed whiteheads but the clogged pores are still there. How long does it take to see clear results?

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 06/05/2014 10:27 am

How long did you use it for? Because like a lot of products used on your face to help acne, it will make your acne worse before it makes it better. The epsom salt draws the toxins out of your body so when you first start using it, it will draw the acne that hasn't formed yet out from under the skin.

Epsom salt is just crystalline magnesium sulfate, and I highly doubt that it draws out "toxins" (already a nebulous term to begin with).

However, I really appreciate you sharing your experience. Magnesium is very important for women, and so maybe experimenting with epsom salts (taking a bath, or just taking magnesium supplements) could be helpful!

I bought my own carton of epsom salts and have tried taking baths in it after reading this: http://www.paleoforwomen.com/soul-crushing-stress-and-the-miracle-of-magnesium/

I will definitely try the exfoliant mask. Hope the link gives you more ideas.

MemberMember
(@squirrelmonkey)

Posted : 07/28/2014 1:02 am

I'm currently trying epsom salt on my acne. I think it helped my clogged pores from becoming inflamed whiteheads but the clogged pores are still there. How long does it take to see clear results?

I would be interested in knowing this as well. I've read that many people have experienced an initial purge for only a few days to a week or so, but so far my skin is progressively getting worse even though I've been using Epsom salts for about a month! My pores are also still clogged; I'd be interested in hearing how you're making out with them!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/28/2014 5:26 am

I tried this epsom salt remedy in the summer of 2012 - acne worsened to the point of need accutane. Be very careful with this

MemberMember
(@squirrelmonkey)

Posted : 07/29/2014 7:41 pm

I tried this epsom salt remedy in the summer of 2012 - acne worsened to the point of need accutane. Be very careful with this

Can I ask how long you tried it for? I'm just wondering (aka hoping) if maybe I'm in the clear to keep using it.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/12/2014 6:50 pm

I've stopped using epsom salts since it did nothing but sting my skin and i even suspect it made my skin worse. I have given up on trying to control my acne topically and turned my attention to treating it internally. I've been taking omega 3 fish oil to control my hormonal acne (it's not perfect tho, I sometimes still get those awful under the skin ones on my chin before my period but they occur less frequently and not as serious) and I just started experimenting with MSM.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/12/2014 7:47 pm

Can I ask how long you tried it for? I'm just wondering (aka hoping) if maybe I'm in the clear to keep using it.

I did it for a month

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/12/2014 7:50 pm

I would be interested in knowing this as well. I've read that many people have experienced an initial purge for only a few days to a week or so, but so far my skin is progressively getting worse even though I've been using Epsom salts for about a month! My pores are also still clogged; I'd be interested in hearing how you're making out with them!

Hey there. I used epsom salts for about a couple months I think. At first it seemed to prevent my clogged pores from becoming inflamed pimples... but after a while they became inflamed anyway. They wouldn't go away so I popped them (bad, I know) and the salts helped heal them quicker. A few days later the same pores would get clogged up again so even though epsom salts speed up the healing process, it doesn't prevent clogged pores. That's just me so I can't say if it will or will not work for you, but if you suspect it is making your skin worse (a month-long purging is too long if you ask me), stop using it.

MemberMember
(@squirrelmonkey)

Posted : 08/12/2014 8:27 pm

Hey there. I used epsom salts for about a couple months I think. At first it seemed to prevent my clogged pores from becoming inflamed pimples... but after a while they became inflamed anyway. They wouldn't go away so I popped them (bad, I know) and the salts helped heal them quicker. A few days later the same pores would get clogged up again so even though epsom salts speed up the healing process, it doesn't prevent clogged pores. That's just me so I can't say if it will or will not work for you, but if you suspect it is making your skin worse (a month-long purging is too long if you ask me), stop using it.

Thanks Claudia, that is exactly what I experienced as well! I'm also trying the internal/holistic thing. Good luck!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/13/2014 6:26 pm

Thanks Claudia, that is exactly what I experienced as well! I'm also trying the internal/holistic thing. Good luck!

You're welcome and good luck to you too 🙂