Notifications
Clear all

Tazorac? Help!

MemberMember
(@keelyface)

Posted : 10/25/2012 8:58 pm

I've been struggling with acne for a couple years now. I've recently started using Tazorac every night and been put on Yaz to help my breakouts. Most of my pimples aren't like cysts or pussy, but they are like little sebums of oil in my pores that get really inflammed in my skin and don't heal until I push them out. Has anyone who uses Tazorac know if this will help heal those? Occasionally I get pus filled pimples.Oh, and not to mention, the little sebums leave a red mark where they were. Any tips on how to heal those marks? I also want to know how long it took before you started seeing results from Tazorac. I've been on it...hm, maybe a month or a little less? I had an IB the 1st week of using it and they left pretty big cysts, but they are healing and have a red mark. I've seen some improvement so hopefully that means it's gonna work for me and I'll see results sooner than I thought. Thanks :)

MemberMember
(@northerngal100)

Posted : 10/25/2012 11:34 pm

Hey - welcome to the taz club. I have been on the .1% cream for 10.5 weeks - so almost to the "results" week.

My experience has been up and down. My skin didn't really get noticeably better until week 8 probably. By that point all my little skin coloured bumps on my face were pretty much surfaced (I think that's what you mean by little sebums right?). I haven't developed any new ones since being on taz and I am really happy with the results in that regard. However, I still have some problems on my temple area - which never really was that bad before. This week my skin has actually gotten worse that it was in week 9. It is a back and forth.

I would stay stick with it for the full 12 weeks and don't expect any improvement until 1.5 months - 2 months. You just never know. It has been really good at smoothing out those non-inflammatory bumps on me so far. Then again, I am not perfectly clear either. I know it is really hard, but hang in there :)

Not sure if that was helpful.

MemberMember
(@wavy)

Posted : 10/26/2012 9:31 pm

hey I'm on day 10 of taz and i had oily skin before but now the drying stage has kicked in -_-. i think my ib started on day 5. anyways yeah my face is like dry (not flaking) and looks sunburnt..and I'm mixed race and never sunburn -_-. did you continue taz while you were drying out or did you wait a few days?

MemberMember
(@keelyface)

Posted : 10/29/2012 7:58 pm

hey I'm on day 10 of taz and i had oily skin before but now the drying stage has kicked in -_-. i think my ib started on day 5. anyways yeah my face is like dry (not flaking) and looks sunburnt..and I'm mixed race and never sunburn -_-. did you continue taz while you were drying out or did you wait a few days?

I still use the tazorac, I just went to the drugstore and bought the cetaphil lotion for my face which has really helped. My skin is still very flaky, but the dryness has improved since I've used the lotion

Hey - welcome to the taz club. I have been on the .1% cream for 10.5 weeks - so almost to the "results" week.

My experience has been up and down. My skin didn't really get noticeably better until week 8 probably. By that point all my little skin coloured bumps on my face were pretty much surfaced (I think that's what you mean by little sebums right?). I haven't developed any new ones since being on taz and I am really happy with the results in that regard. However, I still have some problems on my temple area - which never really was that bad before. This week my skin has actually gotten worse that it was in week 9. It is a back and forth.

I would stay stick with it for the full 12 weeks and don't expect any improvement until 1.5 months - 2 months. You just never know. It has been really good at smoothing out those non-inflammatory bumps on me so far. Then again, I am not perfectly clear either. I know it is really hard, but hang in there smile.png

Not sure if that was helpful.

Yes! I have a lot of bumps on my forehead that are just not inflammed or red or anything, just bumpy. How long before you noticed those going away? But thank you. I really hope your acne journey gets better for you! :)

MemberMember
(@northerngal100)

Posted : 10/29/2012 10:29 pm

Yes! I have a lot of bumps on my forehead that are just not inflammed or red or anything, just bumpy. How long before you noticed those going away? But thank you. I really hope your acne journey gets better for you! smile.png

I think I noticed the bumps went away 95% by week 8 or 9 but started to go away around week 4. Now I have started week 12 (to finish this sunday) and my bumps are 99.99% gone. It's unreal. I know that is a terribly long time to wait, but trust me - this stuff has been a miracle worker for the little bumps. Unfortunately, you will probably find that they will become inflamed in weeks 3-5 and all surface at once (they have to come out at some point). This part sucks a lot and you will probably want to give up because it will probably be the worst your acne has ever been - it was for me anyway. I would stick with it through this time and try not to pick (if you pick, you risk getting icepick scars which are, from what I hear, extremely hard to get rid of). You will probably have red marks, but those cleared up for me by week 8 completely.

I am happy to report that I am now completely clear and just fading about 10 red-pink marks. This stuff (if it manages to fade these marks, which it probably will in a week or two) has been an absolute godsend. I haven't found anything that has been able to get rid of the bumps like this yet and I have tried all sorts of drugstore and department store/sephora stuff.

I have written a pretty extensive log here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/320274-tazorac-1-cream-log-with-advice/ (Under: message boards, treatment logs, topical retnoids, title: Tazorac .1% Cream log if you want to see how it went week to week.

Good luck!!!!

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 10/31/2012 7:32 am

I was prescribed Tazorac back in March and was told at the time it would take about 4 months for the red marks/scars to go away. I had quite a few cysts on my face and a lot of red marks. It didn't take that long for my marks to start to fade, they started fading quite a bit by week 2. And I maybe get a cyst once every couple months. I still get little break outs though, but they are much more manageable and go away quickly. I am so fair skinned that the worst part of breaking out for me is the redness pimples ALWAYS leave behind, even when I don't touch them.Trying to find a balance with Tazorac was/is the most difficult challenge. I'd go from oily skin to extremely dry/flaky red skin. I've built up a better tolerance to it now so I don't suggest doing this until you have been using it regularly but I use my clarisonic to exfoliate some of my red spots then apply the Tazorac at night to just spot treat and it works a lot faster for me. Definitely stick to using Tazorac, I consider it a miracle cream.

MemberMember
(@keelyface)

Posted : 10/31/2012 8:40 pm

I was prescribed Tazorac back in March and was told at the time it would take about 4 months for the red marks/scars to go away. I had quite a few cysts on my face and a lot of red marks. It didn't take that long for my marks to start to fade, they started fading quite a bit by week 2. And I maybe get a cyst once every couple months. I still get little break outs though, but they are much more manageable and go away quickly. I am so fair skinned that the worst part of breaking out for me is the redness pimples ALWAYS leave behind, even when I don't touch them.Trying to find a balance with Tazorac was/is the most difficult challenge. I'd go from oily skin to extremely dry/flaky red skin. I've built up a better tolerance to it now so I don't suggest doing this until you have been using it regularly but I use my clarisonic to exfoliate some of my red spots then apply the Tazorac at night to just spot treat and it works a lot faster for me. Definitely stick to using Tazorac, I consider it a miracle cream.

I have the same problem with red marks from my acne. I have an extremley fair complexion and every make shows and is so hard to get rid of. Have you found anything to help fade the red marks besides the clarisonic? Did the tazorac fade the red marks for you?

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/01/2012 8:51 am

I have the same problem with red marks from my acne. I have an extremley fair complexion and every make shows and is so hard to get rid of. Have you found anything to help fade the red marks besides the clarisonic? Did the tazorac fade the red marks for you?

Yes the tazorac definitely helps to fade the red marks. Your skin may get worse at first while it's getting used to the tazorac but stick to it. Wearing sunscreen everyday helps a lot with red marks too.

MemberMember
(@keelyface)

Posted : 11/07/2012 9:37 pm

updateeeee!

so my cheeks have cleared about 80% way better than it was before. I had alot of red marks still, but no more cysts althought i still have blackheads i'm trying to get out without leaving a scar. my chin hasn't really improved, still a lot of blackheads. and my forehead.. yikes. seems to not be improving at all. lots of redmarks and blackheads still. i'm not going to give up though, i still have hope :)

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 11/11/2012 11:29 pm

Tazorac is great, but it doesn't cause your skin to improve linearly. It will get better, then worse, then better, then worse. Ultimately, it will be better though.

MemberMember
(@karmadelayed)

Posted : 11/20/2012 3:41 pm

I used tazorac for a month and it didn't help me, but here's a quick pic of me today:

post-190694-0-85254000-1353443719_thumb.

you look so pretty in your profile picture, and if you only have mild/moderate acne, it should work well. For me, it only dried me out, but my sister used it and it cleared her up fantastically. She put it on and then slept with it over night, and only used it when getting a pimple.

MemberMember
(@sweetiemuffin)

Posted : 12/09/2012 1:30 am

Hello Keelyface, I've been using tazorac gel 0.1% for about a year. It will take you 3-4 months till you'll see the results. When using tazorac you got to be very patient. It will get worse before it gets better. I have experience the zits that do not have pus and they never go away unless your force it to pop. From what I've seen tazorac doesn't seem to fix those type of acne? But you might not know iif you don't try, right? Tazorac also helps with scaring, a bunch! But with the severe scaring, it will take time. The bad thing about tazorac is that I have hyperpigmentation on my forehead.

I've suffered with acne since I was 10 and had severe acne when I was 13-18. I am 20 right now, and my skin is almost clear. Even though, I've used tazorac for a year or so, I still have a couple of breakouts and scaring. Maybe my skin became resistance against the tazorac?

Anyway, give it a try, be patient. You'll see your skin getting better in no time! =) Good luck.

[My skincare routine (recommended by my dermatologist)]: 2x a day Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser, 2x a day Tazorac Gel 0.1%, 1x a week Indian Aztec Clay w/ Pure Apple Cidar Vinegar, 1x a day (morning) Olay Complete Moisturizer SPF 15, 1x a day (evening) Boot Intense Eye Cream.

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 12/18/2012 10:21 am

Hello Keelyface, I've been using tazorac gel 0.1% for about a year. It will take you 3-4 months till you'll see the results. When using tazorac you got to be very patient. It will get worse before it gets better. I have experience the zits that do not have pus and they never go away unless your force it to pop. From what I've seen tazorac doesn't seem to fix those type of acne? But you might not know iif you don't try, right? Tazorac also helps with scaring, a bunch! But with the severe scaring, it will take time. The bad thing about tazorac is that I have hyperpigmentation on my forehead.

I've suffered with acne since I was 10 and had severe acne when I was 13-18. I am 20 right now, and my skin is almost clear. Even though, I've used tazorac for a year or so, I still have a couple of breakouts and scaring. Maybe my skin became resistance against the tazorac?

Anyway, give it a try, be patient. You'll see your skin getting better in no time! =) Good luck.

[My skincare routine (recommended by my dermatologist)]: 2x a day Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser, 2x a day Tazorac Gel 0.1%, 1x a week Indian Aztec Clay w/ Pure Apple Cidar Vinegar, 1x a day (morning) Olay Complete Moisturizer SPF 15, 1x a day (evening) Boot Intense Eye Cream.

Sweetiemuffin is right. Used improperly, Tazorac is useless. Kermadelayed, I would give it another try. Use it every night or every other night for 4-6 months. You won't see too much improvement until you are 2-3 months in. This is what your regimen should look like:

PM

wash with gentle non-acne cleanser

moisturize with non-comedogenic, but very moisturizing moisturizer

wait 15-20 minutes

apply tazorac-- small pea size amount over entire area of face that is prone to break outs. I just apply everywhere but the eye area and mouth area and nose area.

AM

wash

moisturize

spot treat or prevent with benzoyl peroxide if you want (I use duac)

sunscreen

makeup (optional)

And that's it. Unless your derm told you to use other things, don't. If your skin starts drying out, ex out the spot treat until your skin gets accustomed. I use duac all over my cheeks to prevent pimples; if I stop using either, my skin breaks out. It breaks out more without tazorac though. I didn't start using duac to prevent until 2 months ago and I've been on tazorac since March--9 months!

Also, don't expect linear progress. Your skin this week may not look better than last week, but it looks better than 2 or 3 months ago. The breakouts still happen, they're just not as bad and they go away quickly. Then, they just stop happening. My "breakouts" now consist of maybe 2 fairly small pimples. At most. My friend, whose been on it for a year longer than me doesn't get breakouts, but she still uses tazorac. It's great for your skin. Prevents wrinkles, brightens the complexion. Just use it, forget about your acne, and before you know it, your skin will glow.