Notifications
Clear all

Last Day Of Accutane...my Journey

MemberMember
(@r0bert0000)

Posted : 10/25/2012 8:00 pm

Tonight I take my last dosage of accutane and Ive never been happier.

I am 29 years old and Ive been dealing with moderate to severe (on and off) acne for 14 years. Ive dealt with it throughout my best years and decided I needed to try accutane as nothing else had worked. I only wish that I would have gotten on accutane years ago.

It was about three years ago when I started getting cystic acne along my jaw line and chin. Ive never had cystic acne up until then, but I just thought it was a phase and it would soon pass except it never did. It would eventually clear after a few months and then it would come right back. This happened on and off for the next two and half years. I decided to visit my dermatologist earlier this year and he wanted to put me on accutane and I agreed to try it. My dermatologist talked to me about the side effects and I did not think it was too much to deal with. When I got my first boxes from the pharmacy, I was a little intimidated and decided to read more about it online. My biggest fear was the initial breakout and I almost backed out of the course.

Acne has affected my life so much and I just wanted a chance to live life with no acne and that thought made me take my first accutane pill.

I was not one of the lucky ones to avoid the ib. I broke out more than ever after the first three weeks. I was really down about it but then I changed my thinking and tried to remain positive as the accutane was doing its job and was pushing everything to the surface. I had chapped lips, joint pain, and some muscle aches throughout the course.

I began to see drastic results going into the fourth month. It seems like I cleared up overnight. I could not be happier with the results. My only concern is I have white spots where the cysts used to be. My dermatologist said it should clear up though. I also have some scarring along my jaw line but I'm not sure if it was there before I got on the accutane as I had cysts to cover it. Not sure.

My suggestions to those who are starting the course is drink a lot water. I tried to drink a gallon a day. Eat healthy. Exercise 3 to 4 days a week. Continue to live your life and be positive.

Just want to end by thanking those who share their stories on this forum. Ive always felt so alone dealing with acne but after I found this site it has helped me to cope and take advice from other users.

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 10/25/2012 9:07 pm

I can't wait. I'm only on Month 2 and my skin is still crap!

MemberMember
(@r0bert0000)

Posted : 10/26/2012 8:48 pm

I am pretty sure it will get better. It is good the dermatologist started you on more mg than mine did. My skin began to clear going into month four and it was always up and down until then. Im just hoping i stay clear and it doesn't come back. I will settle for one here and there because anything is better than cysts

Keep your head up man

MemberMember
(@made4817)

Posted : 10/26/2012 11:37 pm

Congrats r0bert, that's great to hear. I just finished my first week and it seems like a long road ahead, but it's always good to hear success stories to help keep things positive. Glad everything worked out for you!

MemberMember
(@r0bert0000)

Posted : 11/05/2012 7:59 pm

Congrats r0bert, that's great to hear. I just finished my first week and it seems like a long road ahead, but it's always good to hear success stories to help keep things positive. Glad everything worked out for you!

Thanks! Don't worry time will pass. Good luck to you in your journey.