Notifications
Clear all

An Introduction An Some Questions! 🙂

MemberMember
(@lia-rae)

Posted : 10/25/2012 5:42 pm

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself here... I have been lurking for a while and I decided to make an account. It's about time I started participating. grinwink.gif

I've been struggling through moderate acne for almost 9 years now, since I was 11. I haven't found much success with anything except for covering it all up with makeup... But I'm done with spending 45 minutes every morning just trying to hide my face. rolleyes.gif

I moved out into my first apartment about 8 months ago in February... Before then my acne was "under control." I got the occasional break out (usually anywhere from 5-10 inflamed red pimples once or twice a month) and it seemed like every pore on my face was a blackhead. My problem back then was mostly the red marks that would last for months after each break out, but the actual pimples seemed to heal quickly.

This all changed when I moved, however. As this was all happening I started my first full time job and began a new serious relationship, and I think the stress of everything triggered my acne to spiral "out of control." I started getting breakouts that would completely cover my face in deep, red, very painful pimples, the most painful of which being in my forehead and lower cheeks/ jawline.

By changing the make up I use, quitting my picking/ scrubbing habit, adapting new stress-coping techniques, and committing myself to a strict regimen of rose petal witch hazel toner, 2% salicylic acid spray, 2% salicylic acid gel, and tea tree oil (10 drops on a moist cotton ball), I have finally started seeing REAL improvements in the last two weeks.

I wanted to ask everybody what their opinion is on using undiluted essential oils are. I also wanted to add lavender oil to the mix, not only to improve the smell of the tea tree (which my boyfriend can't stand unfortunately hehe) but because I read very positive reviews on here about its anti-inflamatory and anti-bacterial properties.

I purchased a 1:1 lavender/ tea tree oil essential oil from the natural food store that I work at, I was wondering how much water to mix that with...?

I've tried diluting tea tree oil to the recommended amount (1-4 drops on a damp cotton ball) but didn't see results until I increased to 10 drops. I'm afraid of diluting the tea tree/ lavender too much as I am on a very, very tight budget and can't afford to purchase anymore if I mess this up, hahaha.

Thanks for any advice, I'm super excited to participate here!

-Delia/ WhiteWillow wub.png

MemberMember
(@collegeboy84)

Posted : 10/27/2012 1:00 am

Welcome!

Honestly I have had terrible results in the past using a more natural or over-the-counter products such as tea tree oil. So in that respect I can't really give much advice. However, I would say that I have had fantastic results with aczone and adapalene (though the Aczone is very pricey).

Definitely wise to quit the scrubbing picking habit unless you want to have some scars down the road.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@lia-rae)

Posted : 10/30/2012 6:02 pm

Welcome!

Honestly I have had terrible results in the past using a more natural or over-the-counter products such as tea tree oil. So in that respect I can't really give much advice. However, I would say that I have had fantastic results with aczone and adapalene (though the Aczone is very pricey).

Definitely wise to quit the scrubbing picking habit unless you want to have some scars down the road.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! I've had terrible luck with natural/ alternative products too but I was super surprised to find tea tree oil was a great product for me. surprised.gif

About the aczone and adapalene, are these prescription? I have no health insurance so most prescriptions are out of the question for me. huh.png

MemberMember
(@collegeboy84)

Posted : 10/31/2012 11:51 pm

Yes. They are prescriptions. You can actually get Aczone without insurance as their official website offers a coupon @ 25 dollars without insurance. Adapalene ( similar to Retin-A) can be purchased from websites in India for a very cheap price. I actually get my Adapalene from a local pharmacy here in CA for about 15 dollars a tube WITH insurance but I have purchased some quality drugs like Hydroquinone from some Indians sites.

Good luck!