Notifications
Clear all

What Gives Hydration To Your Skin? Water Or Oil(Sebum)?

MemberMember
(@thetruthhurts)

Posted : 10/25/2012 5:37 pm

What is the substance that your skin looks for to be hydrated? Is it water? Or is it your sebum? I heard that it is Water, but if that is the case, then can't I just grab some cucumber juice and dab it all over my face to hydrate it? Someone please explain!

Thanks

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 10/26/2012 8:38 pm

My understanding is that sebum is a barrier that helps maintain the moisture level in the body, and that water is what hydrates the skin. I found this article that explains ways to keep the skin hydrated from the inside out: http://health.howstu...-inside-out.htm

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/27/2012 11:50 am

Sebum is a barrier and doesn't moisturise, water can give you hydration, but not externally, putting water on your face won't hydrate it, you need to drink it fairly regularly and at least 4 glasses a day [200ml glass]

MemberMember
(@thetruthhurts)

Posted : 10/27/2012 6:40 pm

Sebum is a barrier and doesn't moisturise, water can give you hydration, but not externally, putting water on your face won't hydrate it, you need to drink it fairly regularly and at least 4 glasses a day [200ml glass]

Well after I put cucumber juice on my face, when it dries, it feels tight. Could this help maintain moisture in my skin? Could it help at all?

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/28/2012 9:11 am

Well after I put cucumber juice on my face, when it dries, it feels tight. Could this help maintain moisture in my skin? Could it help at all?

Not exactly in the way you want it too. Cucumbers are good for reducing irritation and inflammation, but just putting on your face won't moisturise it.

MemberMember
(@thetruthhurts)

Posted : 10/30/2012 7:28 pm

Not exactly in the way you want it too. Cucumbers are good for reducing irritation and inflammation, but just putting on your face won't moisturise it.

hmm, I was wondering though. What exactly is the purpose of a Toner? Because, I've seen in videos ,especially in DIY ones, where they would have a bottle of "water looking liquid" and they would apply it to there face and call it a Toner. They also would say, "It helps moisturize and hydrate the skin" even though the liquid looks like plain old water. Gives me the impression that water can actually moisturize and hydrate to an extent? They seem like they know a lot about skin care as most of their video's are about skin and beauty.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/31/2012 7:25 am

hmm, I was wondering though. What exactly is the purpose of a Toner? Because, I've seen in videos ,especially in DIY ones, where they would have a bottle of "water looking liquid" and they would apply it to there face and call it a Toner. They also would say, "It helps moisturize and hydrate the skin" even though the liquid looks like plain old water. Gives me the impression that water can actually moisturize and hydrate to an extent? They seem like they know a lot about skin care as most of their video's are about skin and beauty.

A toner is an astringent that gets rid of the remainders of any cleanser on your face after washing it, and helps to close your pores...it definitely does not moisturise, that's not its purpose.