Notifications
Clear all

My Life Fell Apart In The Space Of 3 Months.

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 10/25/2012 7:43 am

Hello, I'm new to this board.

Acne. I thought I was free of it. I had more or less grown out of it by the age of 25 and had managed to stave off any scarring with years of antibiotic usage. You'd have never known I'd had it to look at me.

In the years that followed my life was the happiest i'd ever known it to be. Acne was no longer a part of my life and I no longer had to take any medication for it. (Antibiotics had caused me a lot of gastro-intestinal problems and I now have IBS as a result).

Then for no reason, this July, it came back. I used to suffer with it only on my chin but now in the space of 3 months it has moved up to my cheek, forhead, chest and back.

I lost everything in the space of 3 months. My job, my beloved boyfriend, my ability to play the cello, my love of life, my looks, my sanity, everything pretty much.

I have seen a Dermatologist who classes my acne as more mild but I do have cysts, nodules, pimples etc etc. He has given me duac and differin to use for 3months. He said I have the option to use Roaccutane however it is a serious drug with bad side effects and I have to weigh up the benefits with the potential health risks.

I am currently trying to get my life back, even with the acne, but it's so so hard. And it's so hard to make the decision on how best to treat this, if at all, or if i should just accept i have acne and live life the best I can.

I'd give anything not to feel afraid to look in the mirror. I used to like looking in the mirror, putting on make up, doing my hair, getting ready to go out, going clothes shopping, being pretty.

Now I have to take a deep breath everytime I look at myself and try not to cry.

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 10/25/2012 9:05 am

how did you lose your job? I went to work with cyst on my face before I didn't get fired.

MemberMember
(@yanka0307)

Posted : 10/25/2012 9:21 am

The stress of everything that is going on in your life is probably affecting your skin.

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 10/25/2012 11:33 am

I didn't lose my job, I'm ashamed to say I quit. I was getting comments on how I look. For example, people started to suggest 'clearasil' and 'You know, you should get that looked at'. I felt deeply ashamed and in shock that my acne had returned to such an extent. I even started to have panic attacks and couldn't concentrate on my work, couldn't even look people in the eye. I just wanted to get away. I know that's very weak but it's how I felt at the time.

The stress of everything that is going on in your life is probably affecting your skin.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 10/25/2012 11:45 am

Sounds like you had a hormonal surge...a bad one. That could suddenly change oil production and inflammation. Either that or something glandular is acting up like adrenal or ??? Anyway it is kind of unusual to go from clear skin for years to all over breaking out suddenly. Any change in diet?

I know what you mean about losing your life. I too played music and was outgoing before my acne got worse as an adult. The acne I had in my teens just kept happening as an adult. Then it got worse (cysts) and I became too embarrased to play in front of others. I know it shouldn't make a difference but it does, especially with female performers. Who wants to watch a pimply adult woman performing on stage? Our society has huge taboos about that. Ever notice how all female performers seem to have flawless skin? Really unfair.

I'd recommend hormonal testing with an endocronologist if this continues. Hopefully this is a fluke and you will return to your former clear skin. You might want to consider adding spironolactone (anti-androgen) and Oracea (low dose doxy that works as an anti-inflammatory so doesn't upset gut flora).

Tell us how this goes. It is so upsetting to have to deal with this as an adult...so unfair!!!

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 10/25/2012 12:13 pm

hormonal testing - give it a try... im thinking that is what happened. It has happened to a lot of us on here, get through it and keep moving forward. It will get better but you have to be proactive about it and make appointments with as many doctors as possible to get the best advice. Try a cleanse for a few days also - since u were on long term antibotics you might have a yeast issue - look into a few and give it some thought - stay away from all sugar, processed foods and dairy for a month - it takes alot of self control but remember what you felt like BEFORE the breakout and you will get through it. Life with acne prone skin never ends, you have to be cautious for ever (i think) so do what you can to change as much as you can, stay positive, see the bigger picture that it WILL GET BETTER, start a hobby and do anything you can to change your mindset and dont look back. I know EXACTLY how you feel, most of us do, figure out why your body is reacting this way and fix it. Im a strong believer that acne is a sign from within so take into consideration what I suggested, read about it and get started... and smile. IT WILL GET BETTER

We are here for you

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 10/25/2012 1:46 pm

Thank you so much cvd and readytosmileagain for your advice and support.

I am pretty sure it is something hormonal. Even when I was in the clear i'd occassionally get one or two spots around my bad time of the month but it'd go in a couple of days. Now it's just insane.

I haven't changed my diet, I eat relatively healthily but I could certainly look into the diet aspect of things. It seems weird that I could eat what I liked when I was in the clear. I have however been experiencing thrush a lot this year so perhaps that could be something. I don't know.

I'll definately go to my GP to check my hormone levels and request to see an Endocrinologist. Do i just need to request a blood test for the hormones?

cvd - yes, totally agreed. There is such taboo in society about acne particularly when it comes to performing. People are conditioned to see perfect flawless skinned people performing and if they do develop a few pimples or acne/scars they are plastered all over the tabloids and ridiculed for it. Ever notice too that often the villains in films are portrayed with facial scarring/bad skin.

You're right, it shouldn't matter but it's hard to perform confidently when you are judged in this way.

Thank you all again for your support, it means so much to me and it's brilliant to come here and not feel so isolated anymore.

MemberMember
(@collegeboy84)

Posted : 10/27/2012 1:07 am

Duac and Differin actually work really well. I used to to clear up my acne as well. The down side is it takes a long time for it to take full effect. Actually, my skin got much worse before it got better on that regiment. Initial breakout followed by some clearskin, followed by another bad initial break out and maybe some moer clear skin.... rinse, repeat for about 3-4 months to get to clear skin. I have now been on Aczone/Differin/BP for nearly 1.5~2 years now with good results.

Anyways, don't let those people's comments get you down. I see your photos, you look pretty. Even if you do have acne I would still find you to be pretty. I know it is easier said than done but you need to keep your skin issues in perspective.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@chiron)

Posted : 10/27/2012 1:16 am

I am pretty sure it is something hormonal. Even when I was in the clear i'd occassionally get one or two spots around my bad time of the month but it'd go in a couple of days. Now it's just insane.

I haven't changed my diet, I eat relatively healthily but I could certainly look into the diet aspect of things. It seems weird that I could eat what I liked when I was in the clear. I have however been experiencing thrush a lot this year so perhaps that could be something. I don't know.

I'll definately go to my GP to check my hormone levels and request to see an Endocrinologist. Do i just need to request a blood test for the hormones?

cvd - yes, totally agreed. There is such taboo in society about acne particularly when it comes to performing. People are conditioned to see perfect flawless skinned people performing and if they do develop a few pimples or acne/scars they are plastered all over the tabloids and ridiculed for it. Ever notice too that often the villains in films are portrayed with facial scarring/bad skin.

You're right, it shouldn't matter but it's hard to perform confidently when you are judged in this way.

Thank you all again for your support, it means so much to me and it's brilliant to come here and not feel so isolated anymore.

I like the cello a lot. Can't read music or play the darn thing myself of course but hearing it played is fun...anyhow, I feel you on the whole 'people making comments' thing. Jerkies. But ultimately, it is We who need to 1) laugh it off as a dumb ass move and 2) not get so wrapped up in our own need for acceptance on the basis of shallow, temporary things like appearance. You go deeper than that, woman. You are gorgeous in many other ways just from seeing your picture here. I wouldn't define you by your acne, why should you? If one or two others do, it's because they are um, a little retarded and need your pity, am I right or am I right?

MemberMember
(@needaskinmiracle)

Posted : 10/27/2012 7:32 am

I can empathise with you on this one! I too have recently been breaking out like mad!! I'm 31 and have never had acne this bad in my life. I did suffer from back acne in my early 20's but never anything this bad on my face. When I was 26 I started using proactive as I had a few pimples that would show during time of the month! I think I regret that decision now. Having stopped using it for 4 months my acne has been crazy. Many people say its because I've stopped using benzoyl peroxide which my skin had become addicted too! So stopping it has cause my oil glands to go into over action and my skin is so oily. I'm on a glycolic acid product and retin cream now as I know this has worked for my back in the past, but I too think for me this may also be a case of hormonal and diet related. I must confess I am a sweet tooth and chocoholic, and although the say diet isn't relate to acne I think it does. I'm thinking maybe all the hormones in meat, in dairy, etc that's out in food could be causing my skin to break. It's like toxins being released though my skin! But I too like yourself need to go see a doctor or dermatologist and see what's behind this. I'm a singer also so I'm on stage a lot and today I had to perform and just felt like everyone was staring at me like a freak wondering what has happened to my skin! I know how you feel! But I keep telling myself that its gonna get better and it's a phase, I'm sure with patience and perseverance we will get though this!!

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 10/27/2012 6:01 pm

Duac and Differin actually work really well. I used to to clear up my acne as well. The down side is it takes a long time for it to take full effect. Actually, my skin got much worse before it got better on that regiment. Initial breakout followed by some clearskin, followed by another bad initial break out and maybe some moer clear skin.... rinse, repeat for about 3-4 months to get to clear skin. I have now been on Aczone/Differin/BP for nearly 1.5~2 years now with good results.

Anyways, don't let those people's comments get you down. I see your photos, you look pretty. Even if you do have acne I would still find you to be pretty. I know it is easier said than done but you need to keep your skin issues in perspective.

Good luck!

Thank you! I'll keep the regime up and see how it goes. I'm desperate not to have to use accutane, so I hope it works.

And thank you, I certainly don't feel very pretty anymore, ever since I developed it I've felt so bad about my skin, I've really neglected myself (didn't help that my boyfriend wouldn't even hug or kiss me anymore and looked almost disgusted at me!). I've lost so much confidence but since coming on this site and seeing and talking to people like you I realise that you can still be good looking even with the acne.

I like the cello a lot. Can't read music or play the darn thing myself of course but hearing it played is fun...anyhow, I feel you on the whole 'people making comments' thing. Jerkies. But ultimately, it is We who need to 1) laugh it off as a dumb ass move and 2) not get so wrapped up in our own need for acceptance on the basis of shallow, temporary things like appearance. You go deeper than that, woman. You are gorgeous in many other ways just from seeing your picture here. I wouldn't define you by your acne, why should you? If one or two others do, it's because they are um, a little retarded and need your pity, am I right or am I right?

Thank you so much! Your words are so supportive! Yes you are totally right, there are sadly, many many retards out there.

I realise this is weak but it's been so hard to accept I have acne, I kind of went into shock. I've not played cello for 3 months now. It's been sat in it's case. All the calluses on my fingers have healed so it'll hurt a bit to play! I want to play again though and I will, regardless of my skin, I shouldn't let it dictate my life or let any other retard tell me I can't because of my bad skin. Thanks again, you really put a smile on my face.

I can empathise with you on this one! I too have recently been breaking out like mad!! I'm 31 and have never had acne this bad in my life. I did suffer from back acne in my early 20's but never anything this bad on my face. When I was 26 I started using proactive as I had a few pimples that would show during time of the month! I think I regret that decision now. Having stopped using it for 4 months my acne has been crazy. Many people say its because I've stopped using benzoyl peroxide which my skin had become addicted too! So stopping it has cause my oil glands to go into over action and my skin is so oily. I'm on a glycolic acid product and retin cream now as I know this has worked for my back in the past, but I too think for me this may also be a case of hormonal and diet related. I must confess I am a sweet tooth and chocoholic, and although the say diet isn't relate to acne I think it does. I'm thinking maybe all the hormones in meat, in dairy, etc that's out in food could be causing my skin to break. It's like toxins being released though my skin! But I too like yourself need to go see a doctor or dermatologist and see what's behind this. I'm a singer also so I'm on stage a lot and today I had to perform and just felt like everyone was staring at me like a freak wondering what has happened to my skin! I know how you feel! But I keep telling myself that its gonna get better and it's a phase, I'm sure with patience and perseverance we will get though this!!

Ahh yes same, it's quite a shock isn't it?! I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about stopping the Proactiv/BP. I too was blaming myself thinking it could have been some change in regime or diet or something like a medication i'd taken. It's almost impossible to pinpoint exactly why it happened. I just seemed to notice my skin changed, the oil is incredible. Again, i'd assume we're both experiencing something hormone related. Apparently around late 20's early 30's a woman's hormones change so I can only assume that it's something to do with that. I too am experiencing acne like never before! It's the worst I've ever had it! I'm going to try everything I can before I consider serious stuff like accutane. Have you ever been on medication for your acne aside from over-the-counter meds?

And you're a singer?! Cool! x

MemberMember
(@fragilesong)

Posted : 10/27/2012 6:24 pm

Ever notice too that often the villains in films are portrayed with facial scarring/bad skin.

I never did until you mentioned that, but you're right.

Adult acne does suck. I'm sorry you're dealing with this, on top of everything else in your life.

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 10/27/2012 6:32 pm

Thank you fragilesong. It's pretty grim but we'll get through it I'm sure. We just have to find the right path to get this sorted.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/03/2012 4:41 pm

I so know how you feel! The last two months I've had perioral dermatitis which is pimples all over my face!! And I'd have my co workers comment on it all the time! And they said " oh I feel sorry for you" etc and I would be embarassed to walk around with all the bumps and cream I had to wear! But know that you are not alone :) many of us are going thru the same problem :( but do also know that you will be clear again.. Because you where for soo long I don't see why this isn't just a temporary problem. Try sprionolactone if accutane is a little too risky, my oily skin dried up in 2 weeks. Thank god we all have such a nice support system on here :D you can also try drinking more water everyday maybe flush it out.. Or if you are on or want to switch birth controls try ortho tri cyclin it works for acne and hormones.

MemberMember
(@emt813)

Posted : 11/03/2012 6:54 pm

Hello, I'm new to this board.

Acne. I thought I was free of it. I had more or less grown out of it by the age of 25 and had managed to stave off any scarring with years of antibiotic usage. You'd have never known I'd had it to look at me.

In the years that followed my life was the happiest i'd ever known it to be. Acne was no longer a part of my life and I no longer had to take any medication for it. (Antibiotics had caused me a lot of gastro-intestinal problems and I now have IBS as a result).

Then for no reason, this July, it came back. I used to suffer with it only on my chin but now in the space of 3 months it has moved up to my cheek, forhead, chest and back.

I lost everything in the space of 3 months. My job, my beloved boyfriend, my ability to play the cello, my love of life, my looks, my sanity, everything pretty much.

I have seen a Dermatologist who classes my acne as more mild but I do have cysts, nodules, pimples etc etc. He has given me duac and differin to use for 3months. He said I have the option to use Roaccutane however it is a serious drug with bad side effects and I have to weigh up the benefits with the potential health risks.

I am currently trying to get my life back, even with the acne, but it's so so hard. And it's so hard to make the decision on how best to treat this, if at all, or if i should just accept i have acne and live life the best I can.

I'd give anything not to feel afraid to look in the mirror. I used to like looking in the mirror, putting on make up, doing my hair, getting ready to go out, going clothes shopping, being pretty.

Now I have to take a deep breath everytime I look at myself and try not to cry.

I am right there with you honey... I have been getting ready in the dark for three months now and I'm taking the semester off of school to get my head together. On a more positive note, I saw that you were prescribed Differin and wanted you to know that it has really helped my skin out a lot. Unfortunately, similar to most acne treatments, it takes time. Just know that there are many other people out there who know EXACTLY what you're going through. I would also suggest that you express to your dermatologist how much your acne has truly affected your life. I opened up to mine and she was incredibly understanding and began to treat it more aggressively as a result. Good luck and keep me updated on your progress!

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 11/07/2012 6:59 pm

Thanks emt813 smile.png It's really hard dealing with acne isn't it? I try to be strong. I read all the positive things people write here, and I have to say this forum is a godsend. I feel much calmer about my acne when i come here and can talk to other people suffering with the condition. Update so far is that I've been put on Lymecycline in an attempt to put my acne into remission. My acne feels pretty infected so i hope it'll work. antibiotics put me into remisson once before but then again my acne was not as bad as it is now. I'm not sure if it's a waste of time or not, i guess only time will tell. The thing i hate the most is having enjoyed many years of clear skin and good health and nowi'm having to put all these drugs and chemicals on my skin. I really hate having to put my body through it, damaging my health but sometimes it feels like we have no choice.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 11/08/2012 12:36 am

Your post was very relatable... I used to be jealous of everyone with clear skin, nobody else I knew had acne, I felt ugly, like nobody cared... Thankfully I stumbled upon this website and convinced myself to try the regimen. I wish you well, fellow sufferers

MemberMember
(@mgx)

Posted : 11/09/2012 3:46 am

weigh all your options...... don't give up.... i know exactly how you feel...... you try every products that you can get your hands on and ask yourself "what am i doing wrong, why isn't it working..." ugh...the pain of it all...physical,emotional, and mental....

always be patient with your skin.... NEVER PICK!!!!! it'll do more harm than good...trust me!

i know i always give this advice to anyone who's new here but i still am sticking up to it.... AVOID wearing MAKE-UP......

believe me it'll do wonders coz you're eliminating the chances for all the chemicals to get in your pores...... (although i do still put lipstick on...sometimes ...i mean it's just in my lips.... haha) but i stopped putting like foundation, concealer,creams, even a simple powder.....

when my face get oily, i just tap dry it with a soft tissue or splash ICE COLD WATER on my face...... ICY water is my bestfriend....

also cut your sugars........ hydrate!

personally, i noticed some changes in my skin when i cut the chemicals that i'm putting on my face... so i just stick with my regimen now....

good luck and God bless on your journey...we are all here for you!!!!

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 11/09/2012 1:01 pm

weigh all your options...... don't give up.... i know exactly how you feel...... you try every products that you can get your hands on and ask yourself "what am i doing wrong, why isn't it working..." ugh...the pain of it all...physical,emotional, and mental....

always be patient with your skin.... NEVER PICK!!!!! it'll do more harm than good...trust me!

i know i always give this advice to anyone who's new here but i still am sticking up to it.... AVOID wearing MAKE-UP......

believe me it'll do wonders coz you're eliminating the chances for all the chemicals to get in your pores...... (although i do still put lipstick on...sometimes ...i mean it's just in my lips.... haha) but i stopped putting like foundation, concealer,creams, even a simple powder.....

when my face get oily, i just tap dry it with a soft tissue or splash ICE COLD WATER on my face...... ICY water is my bestfriend....

personally, i noticed some changes in my skin when i cut the chemicals that i'm putting on my face... so i just stick with my regimen now....

Thank you Margox! wub.png I'm feeling so so low about having acne. It's really starting to get to me. I don't wear any make up on my acne anymore. It was very hard at first to walk around in public with acne on my face. It feels very lonely when I look around and I see young women my age with normal clear skin, I feel like a monster. I used to really enjoy going shopping, buying pretty clothes, doing my hair you know - girly things! Now when I see myself in the mirrors in the shopping centres I just feel ashamed. I cry sometimes, I mourn what I used to be.

I'm on antibiotics at the moment but they don't seem to be doing anything at all yet.

You are taking accutane? How has it been? x x

MemberMember
(@mgx)

Posted : 11/09/2012 9:02 pm

Thank you Margox! wub.png I'm feeling so so low about having acne. It's really starting to get to me. I don't wear any make up on my acne anymore. It was very hard at first to walk around in public with acne on my face. It feels very lonely when I look around and I see young women my age with normal clear skin, I feel like a monster. I used to really enjoy going shopping, buying pretty clothes, doing my hair you know - girly things! Now when I see myself in the mirrors in the shopping centres I just feel ashamed. I cry sometimes, I mourn what I used to be.

I'm on antibiotics at the moment but they don't seem to be doing anything at all yet.

You are taking accutane? How has it been? x x

...we are soooo experiencing the same dilemmas.... i too was very fond of doing girly things, going to the mall........ when i got acne... BAM... my confidence was ZERO..... i hate looking at myself..... i AVOID MIRRORS coz i would get depressed and cry my eyes out.... i don't get out of the house often coz i'm ashamed of how i look like and afraid of what people might ask or say about me.....

.......Depression really took a toll at me, my family took notice and my aunt told me to go see a psychiatrist coz Depression runs in the family.... i didn't know that my mom had it when she was still alive... so a few months back i was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder II... i took anti-depressant medication for 2 months... i haven't gone back to my psych and i stopped medicating...coz i really feel like i'm crazy when i'm popping 'em.....

was also put on antibiotics but after months of no improvement i finally decided to jump on the accutane board......still on accutane.... it's been ok soo far..... i've had ibs on my first months and also still have the occasional breakouts every time of the month...... i still have downs...those days and nights where i cry and cry for no reason...crying in the shower...even crying myself to sleep.... it sucks big time and i beat myself up about it.... i've been keeping busy lately and it's taking my mind off of things..... it's really been helping...

be patient with your skin..... ask and ask anything to your derm..... consult professional help for your depresssion if it's really taking a toll on your life..... hope it'll help....... best of luck and God bless!!!!

MemberMember
(@xxmarkesiaxx)

Posted : 11/22/2012 6:15 pm

Miss Soloist, your story reminds me a lot my case... I used to have perfect skin for almost a decade (I took roaccutane when I was 19 and it cleared me up PERFECTLY!) but 2 years ago, when I reached the 28th year of my life, I had a HUGE stressful event followed by depression for a couple of months. It was when I started having my acne coming back, mainly gathered around my mouth, chin and jawline. Cysts mainly, not the huge kind but still enough to make my fragile skin to scar. I was devastated... And, as usually happens when a bad thing comes to ones life it brings more. In a period of 3-4 months I, as well, lost my job, my bf and generally I would say my sanity. After many visits to derms I managed to control the break outs but NOT for good! In less than a year and, how weird, after a stressful event AGAIN, the pimples were back. New perscriptions, more medicine, topicals and antibiotics. The acne went under control again, or better, went to sleep. But, guess what? The monster is awake again!