Notifications
Clear all

Severe Acne And Dairy?

MemberMember
(@rlsid21)

Posted : 10/24/2012 6:43 pm

My severe acne (cystics, nodules, blackheads, whiteheads....basically everything) all over my face, cheeks, jawline, neck, forehed mainly has been out of control for the past few years now. Proaciv Solution stopped working and made it worse overtime. In the past 7 months, I have been getting facials and now starting to get extractions in between facials every 2 weeks now. I started Spironolactone at 50mg. now I'm at 100mg. with my spa grade products (Skin Medica and Obagi) and prescription topicals (Acanya and Atralin). I noticed that I broke out a lot more with cystics when I would consume more dairy products. I would normally have a little milk in my coffee and I love cheese. Especially when I had cheese in any amount, my skin was inflammed. I thought that since I am taking an anti-androgen that cutting out dairy would make better sense. I read that dairy contains androgens which is what is potentially the cause of hormonal breakouts.

I've committed to cutting out milk as much as I can and cheese entirely. I started buying vegan cheese (Daiya brand) which is an amazing alternative for someone like me that loves cheese and has a hard time giving it up. I can only find it at my local organic market and I'm told that Whole Foods carries it too. I noticed less acne and I feel that my Spiro is able to work better without the dairy. It's been over a month being on Spiro and about 2 weeks with an increase to 100mg. but I'm seeing results. My little bumps around my nose is completely clear, my cheeks are showing patches that are clearing up with less every week, and my skin feels smoother when I wash my face that I've noticed. My co-workers have given me several compliments on how glowy and smooth my face looks as it improves. I do have a few lingering cystics that I plan to get injected with cortisone this week but my skin was in worse shape prior to Spiro. I feel like I'm getting more control with the combination of facials, extractions, injections (if needed), prescription topicals, and Spironolactone.

Is there a connection between dairy and acne at all? It's interesting to see how my skin reacts when I was consuming dairy versus as I started to give it up......

Thanks for any advice and tips!

MemberMember
(@goldlilies)

Posted : 10/26/2012 7:38 am

Yes, there has always been a large connection between dairy products and acne. Dairy causes higher insulin production which causes an increase in sebum production. The bacteria that causes acne eats the sebum. More sebum= more acne.

Work on cutting out ALL high insulin foods. Which is not the most fun thing, but it works. You can't fight science!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/265375-high-insulin-foods/

http://www.naturalnews.com/024613_milk_acne_blood.html

MemberMember
(@beachedwalrus)

Posted : 11/12/2012 1:00 am

Dairy is also one of the first things you will become intolerant to if your gut is compromised as it is one of the harder things to digest properly.