Notifications
Clear all

25/male First Accutane Course

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 10/24/2012 2:51 pm

Figured starting a log would help while I start my Accutane course. I'm 25 years old, and I've suffered with persistent mild acne and oily skin since 14, never really got out of hand. In high school I started seeing a Derm and he put me on Minocycline/RetinA, which worked for a while, but eventually wore off and I started getting persistent breakouts again. Nothing crazy, but definitely enough to lower your self-esteem before going out.

When I graduated college I was still getting persistent mild breakouts, and I tried using every topical under the sun, some worked temporarily, some not at all. Now a days, having to walk into a work meeting with 2 or 3 huge zits on my forehead isn't ideal. So being that my derm was very against Accutane, I switched dermatologists. My new derm wanted to try one more antibiotic (Bactrim) before we considered accutane. Sure enough, bactrim didn't help, so I got on Accutane, and here I am today.

I am supposed to start it tomorrow (10/25/12) and I'm hoping it will be smooth. Not gunna lie, my biggest concern is the IB, I've never had severe acne, always light/mild, so I hope it doesn't get out of hand. I don't mind not drinking for 4-5 months, I look at it as an investment.

Any questions feel free to ask, and I'll be updating my progress throughout the course.

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 10/24/2012 3:22 pm

Good luck to you. It's an interesting ride...this Accutane train ;)

I also have persistent non-cystic acne that stopped responding to antibiotics (or anything else for that matter). I did not get a bad initial breakout like I feared I might. It never got worse than before I started the Accutane. In my log I seem to bitch a lot, but the whole process has been MUCH easier than I thought it would be.

Annoying side effects? Yes. But all and all I couldn't be happier!

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 10/24/2012 4:08 pm

Thanks so much for the input...it will definitely give me some relief heading in

MemberMember
(@coulin)

Posted : 10/24/2012 8:20 pm

I have a similar profile and also was under mino/retinA until it stopped working.

I am at day 9 of the treatment so I'll definitely follow your progress and compare.

I did not avoid the IB and I don't feel I've seen the end of it at all :( Hope you have it a little easier!

MemberMember
(@aed2712)

Posted : 10/24/2012 11:27 pm

I am almost at a week on my journey. I, too, am very worried about the initial breakout as I have never had severe acne. So far it's going well and I hope it stays that way! :)

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 10/28/2012 2:04 pm

Update: About 3 days into my journey. Not really sure if i'm getting an initial breakout or if this is just from a breakout before hopping on the Accutane train. Either way it's not too bad. Still early, but I'm in great spirits that i'm actually on my way to clear skin once and for all.

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 11/01/2012 8:21 am

Update: Day 6...skin is starting to look much better. Not really any new breakouts (knock on wood). Skin and lips are starting to get pretty dry, but definitely manageable. Still in very good spirits about this whole process. Can't wait for the final outcome.

I'll be updating this once a week going forward.

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 11/08/2012 7:16 am

Update: Week 2...I don't want to jinx myself, but skin is virtually flawless right now. Besides a carry-over effect before I started the course, I haven't really experienced any initial breakout. Even when I got a new pimple within the first week or so, it was gone within a couple of days and not inflamed. Hopefully it will remain this way throughout the course. Side effects are minimal, dry skin, chapped lips...all stuff I can manage no problem. BTW i've been on 30 mg 2x/day.

More to come...

MemberMember
(@wsmith189)

Posted : 11/08/2012 2:48 pm

Iron horse:

This is my second round of tane. I was 20 and a sophomore in college during the first round. I was alternating 30mg one day 60 the next.

Glad to hear the weeks are going by without much of a hitch. No matter what, absolutely worth it to stick it out to the end. You 100% will be stunned with the results, I know I was.

I just started round two as a 22 year old male, 30 mg this go round. possibly upping the dose to 60 next month depending on the side effects. Everything pales in comparison to the end. Best of luck.

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 11/08/2012 5:08 pm

i have been considering Accutane but have been a bit scared of the side effects. mainly i guess the susceptibility to IBS, because i have issues with my digestive system and i don't know if Accutane might be a problem.

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 11/08/2012 5:37 pm

i have been considering Accutane but have been a bit scared of the side effects. mainly i guess the susceptibility to IBS, because i have issues with my digestive system and i don't know if Accutane might be a problem.

Same here. I actually have IBS! I've however been offered the option of accutane. There was someone on here with celiac disease who took accutane recently and had positive results. It's a big gamble though especially for those of us who already have an ailment which may or may not get worse as a result. I sympathise!

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 11/08/2012 7:33 pm

Same here. I actually have IBS! I've however been offered the option of accutane. There was someone on here with celiac disease who took accutane recently and had positive results. It's a big gamble though especially for those of us who already have an ailment which may or may not get worse as a result. I sympathise!

yes... it is unfortunate. i didn't realize until recently that perhaps my gut might have something to do with my acne but nothing has remedied it and i'm afraid to keep trying Rx drugs. i want to get clear naturally but i don't know if that will ever happen.

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 11/16/2012 6:55 am

Update: Week 3...Skin is still looking clear, not really any new breakouts. My skin is pretty dry and the texture on my nose is weird, almost prickely. I guess the pores on my nose are being affected by the medication. It feels good to not wake up to new pimples every morning, I'm very pleased with the process so far. Next week I will get blood work done and see my Derm for my monthly check-in.

Until Next time...

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 11/20/2012 7:23 pm

Update: Week 4...My lucky streak has ended and I've finally gotten a breakout. Not too bad right now, just a couple pimples on my forehead, it was inevitable it would happen soon enough. Anyways, I went to my derm today and my blood test came back on point, Im still sticking with 60 mg/day in Month #2, that's probably the most i'm going to be at according to the doc. Hopefully I don't look like a creature for Thanksgiving.

Talk soon....

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 11/28/2012 6:51 am

Update: Week 5....I got through Thanksgiving ok without looking like a zombie, now I just have to get through xmas and new years. Anyways, from last week til now I've been breaking out a bit, definitely just as bad as I would've had it before I went on accutane. I have about 2 or 3 active pimples now. I hope that it's just a side effect or "initial breakout" as some would call it, even though its 5 weeks in. Anyways, hoping for better results next week.

Cheers.

MemberMember
(@tuffluck)

Posted : 11/29/2012 12:42 pm

I bet if you cured your IBS it would really help with your acne. My acne has been caused by digestive problems ALL along.

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 11/29/2012 3:05 pm

I bet if you cured your IBS it would really help with your acne. My acne has been caused by digestive problems ALL along.

I'm not sure. I've had IBS for about 10 years and been acne free withing that time. My acne has only recently come back after many years of being clear. My ibs has always remained the same more or less. I would appreciate any recommendations though - willing to try anything!

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 12/06/2012 8:10 am

Update: Week 6...So last week not only did I suffer from a bad cold (unrelated to accutane), but I also got a humungous Cyst on the side of my nose. I've gotten cysts in the past, but very rare. This leads me to believe the accutane is working, because it's pretty odd that I would get one at this point. Other then that, my skin has been breaking out mildly, a few breakouts on the forehead and around my mouth, probably in the 2-3 range again. With the holidays coming up it's going to be extra difficult not being able to have a celebratory cocktail or anything of that nature. After the new year, it'll be smooth sailing and hopefully smooth skin.

Best.

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 12/20/2012 5:13 am

Update: Week 8....I went to my derm this week. He's happy with my progress and the results of the blood tests. I'm still breaking out here and there, but one thing i have to say, is when i do get a pimple, it sticks around for a couple days, then it's history...thanks to this medication. Other than that, nothing really new to update.

Talk soon....

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 12/29/2012 10:19 am

Update: Week 9....Christmas week and everything's been great. No new breakouts, skin has been very clear. I have been getting quite a few ingrown hairs on my face after I shave, but other then that things are good. My derm said I would probably have to be on it until the 19 or 20 week mark due to the dosage/weight calculations, so I'd say i'm just about halfway there.

Until Next Time...

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 01/04/2013 7:00 am

Update: Week 10.....skin is still doing great, I actually woke up today with a small pimple below my mouth, probably the first one I had in weeks, it's pretty small and isn't inflamed or red at all, so I'm sure it'll be gone in a day or so. Other then that, things are good, looking forward to the end.

Cheers

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 01/11/2013 7:22 am

Update: Week 11....Skin is starting to break out a little bit. Yesterday I got one on my forehead and today I'm starting to see one on my cheek. Almost into month 3 now and I'm hoping that this is normal to break out at this point. I'm trying not to get frustrated...deep breaths.

I'll check back next week and update progress

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 01/19/2013 6:49 pm

Update: Week 12....After my mini-breakout my skin has been really great. I'm going back to the derm on Monday (1/21) to follow up and see how much longer realistically we're looking at (either 1 month or 2). I would love to be done next month, but that would probably mean upping the dosage from 60 mg/day to 80 and that might mean more side-effects and maybe some unpleasant zits/cysts. Not sure what I would want more, to be done with this in 4 weeks, suffer a few breakouts, and be able to get drunk on St. Patty's day....or continue with the current dosage for 2 more months and not have to worry about any new side-effects and ease into the end....I'm not an alcoholic by any means, however, I AM a 25-year-old single guy, so not having a lick of alcohol for as long as I have takes a huge toll on my social life and it's starting to get to me a little bit because there's only so many diet coke's and waters you can take at a bar before you don't wanna be around it....Anyways I felt like getting that off my chest, I'll check back next week and update with the decision for the upcoming month(s)

Later.

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 01/27/2013 7:03 pm

Update: Week 13....Skin has been great, nothing new to report other than the fact that I will be finished mid-March which can't come soon enough. I guess according to the calculations I have another 2 months or so of dosage to put in, which is fine. Just gotta suck it up for 7-8 more weeks. I am extremely happy about my skin as of now and I definitely feel like I've came a long way in a year's time. There's been plenty of nights where I would stay home and make an excuse instead of going out with friends because of some shitty breakout, that to me, felt like the end of civilization. I feel like I'm a lot more confident everyday and my skin is just one less thing I need to worry about in a hectic everyday routine. Even though it's not over yet, I just wanted to share that with all the viewers out there.

Til Next time...

MemberMember
(@ironhorse9)

Posted : 03/02/2013 11:09 am

Update: Week 18....As you can probably tell, I haven't been updating as much, which is certainly a good thing. My skin hasn't broken out in like 6 or 7 weeks (longest i've ever gone probably since 14 years old). I'm extremely happy with the results. Now that the weather is getting warmer, it feels good to not have to worry about extremely oily skin, sweat and potential breakouts. It's a beautiful thing. I am on my last 3 weeks of this medication and I am very optimistic that this is how my future will be and now I can break out (no pun intended) of my shell and be confident every single day. Even if nobody is reading these posts, I still feel good writing them.

Take Care...