Notifications
Clear all

I Think I Know Why We Get Acne

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/24/2012 1:57 am

I think i finally realize why we get acne. It seems to be a combination of a BUNCH of things:

1) Diet, the standard american diet, which is laden with hydrogentated oils, GMOS, hormones.

2) Stress. Modern living is highly stressfull (particularlly in westernized nations).

3) Soap, The amount of soap we use is RIDICULOUS. Body soap, hand soap, dishwashing soap, detergent for clothes. How much of this is being abosrbed into our bloodstream and causing issues? Who knows

4) Insulin spikes from high glycemic load meals (see insulin resistance)

5) Antibiotics and other prescriptions. Advil, antibiotics, etc all seem to cause "leaky gut" and leads to acne and a whole mess of issues

6) Low vitamin d levels

The problem is, even if you finally figure out what is causing your acne, sometimes it isnt as simple as eliminating such factors and eliminating the acne. Your body might be so damaged that it is MUCH harder to repair than damage (and it seems that way for me atm).

I honestly believe if i never ever went to highschool and ESPECIALLY college, i would not have had acne. Why you ask? I washed my hands with soap 2-3 times a day in highschool (didn't want others to think my hands smelled etc), i ate the worst fking food imaginable (at home even though half of what i ate was junk, it wasent as bad as highschool/college food). And the stress that comes with being in hs and college.

It seems to me that you have to literally go against every single NORM you were taught.

This can also explain why some people experience significant relief when going camping, or when travelling. Some of the factors causing the acne was eliminated (but for some, elimination of some factors isnt sufficient)

I forgot to add, it was ridiculous how many times in highschool my peers would basically force me to eat food. If i wasent feeling hungry, since everyone else was doing it, people thought something was wrong with me. If someone saw you not washing your hands, you are "gross"

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 10/24/2012 2:15 am

So if you do all of those things, will your acne clear up?

I think it's pretty easy to eat healthy, even when going to college. When I first started college, I ate there, and I pretty much had to choose between a greasy burger and fries, fish sticks, or a burrito. So after that semester I just started planning my classes so I would never have to eat there. If you can't do that, you can at least bring some food from home.

It's pretty easy to not use soap too. The only time I use it is in the shower once a day. When I "wash" my hands, I just use water. That might sound gross to some people, but most of the time you wont need a strong antibacterial liquid just to get something off of your hands. It's not like you have to go use a public bathroom and then just leave without washing your hands. You can just wash with water, and people aren't going to watch you to see if you use soap or not.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/24/2012 2:35 am

My acne is very awkward, in the sense that is clears up than comes back than clears up (minus the scars obviously).

The thing is, healthy is a very RELEVANT term. What is healthy for you might not be for me (acne related).

So what diet do you follow in college?

I agree that isnt very difficult to use soap, but sometimes you become so brainwashed that u do it without thinking, you know what im saying?

For example, everytime i had to take a poop, i would always wash my hands with soap.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/24/2012 2:54 am

I think until there is an actual cure it will be impossible to nail down any one variable to acne.

I will say change of life style is important for any healthier version of oneself. Sadly i do not think diet is 100% the answer. It definitely helps and can go a long way. As for complete reversal I'm not sold on it.

But as you say there so many potential pollutants and toxins in everyday things that we could be unwillingly exposes ourselves to the trigger.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/24/2012 3:16 am

exactly my point taketotheskies.

Who knows if using computers all day can cause issues? Cell phones?

I know being in a city with all that smog/pollution cant be a good thing

Another thing i forgot to menton... swallowing some toothpaste.

I am sure this happens to the best of us

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/24/2012 6:07 am

It seems to me that you have to literally go against every single NORM you were taught.

Dude, I hear you! :) It's crazy isn't it? I've had the same thought so many times. I grew up with my mom pounding it into my head that you had to wash your hands many, many times a day, eat your whole wheat, and avoid the sun because it gives people cancer. I was seriously terrified of the sun as a little kid. I know my mom was only telling me what she believed at the time to be right, but it's crazy how backward a lot of it ended up being and how much of it I needed to reverse to get on the path to good health.

Now, I avoid over-washing my hands, don't eat any grains and spend at least 15 minutes sitting in the sun every day that the weather allows.

I agree that diet AND lifestyle are equally important. You can't just eat a perfect diet and spend your days in a cubicle, constantly stressed out, never going outside and getting sun/fresh air, etc. And you can't just laugh a lot and play outside and be carefree and then eat whatever junk you want. For me anyway, it seems to take a concentrated effort on all fronts to make any difference. I've been doing that for a while now and I'm finally starting to get results.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/24/2012 6:23 am

Dude, I hear you! smile.png It's crazy isn't it? I've had the same thought so many times. I grew up with my mom pounding it into my head that you had to wash your hands many, many times a day, eat your whole wheat, and avoid the sun because it gives people cancer. I was seriously terrified of the sun as a little kid. I know my mom was only telling me what she believed at the time to be right, but it's crazy how backward a lot of it ended up being and how much of it I needed to reverse to get on the path to good health.

Now, I avoid over-washing my hands, don't eat any grains and spend at least 15 minutes sitting in the sun every day that the weather allows.

I agree that diet AND lifestyle are equally important. You can't just eat a perfect diet and spend your days in a cubicle, constantly stressed out, never going outside and getting sun/fresh air, etc. And you can't just laugh a lot and play outside and be carefree and then eat whatever junk you want. For me anyway, it seems to take a concentrated effort on all fronts to make any difference. I've been doing that for a while now and I'm finally starting to get results.

Balance :)

i fully agree. I live a clean lift style but every 2 or 3 week i go pig out for a day. Eating pizza, chocolate and drinking soda.

I'm all for living clean but we need a little dirt to be healthy. :D

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/24/2012 7:26 am

My new theory (which I've been given much guidance on by the wonderful Whitefox) is that it's all about the gut. If you can handle pizza and soda once in a while, more power to you. It probably means that at this point, you have much less gut damage than me. If I were to eat something junk-foodish, I get really sick and terrible breakouts, nearly instantly. But will that change in the future? For the first time in a long time, I actually think that maybe it can.

Of course, I wouldn't ever want to eat junk food anyway. But being able to eat something from the same kitchen where someone else was cooking gluten, and not have to worry about a terrible reaction that would mess me up for months--that's my goal.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/24/2012 8:42 am

My new theory (which I've been given much guidance on by the wonderful Whitefox) is that it's all about the gut. If you can handle pizza and soda once in a while, more power to you. It probably means that at this point, you have much less gut damage than me. If I were to eat something junk-foodish, I get really sick and terrible breakouts, nearly instantly. But will that change in the future? For the first time in a long time, I actually think that maybe it can.

Of course, I wouldn't ever want to eat junk food anyway. But being able to eat something from the same kitchen where someone else was cooking gluten, and not have to worry about a terrible reaction that would mess me up for months--that's my goal.

Ouch, that sucks.

I count myself very fortunate my gut is pretty solid.

So what do you have as a treat?

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 10/24/2012 11:44 am

Wrong wrong wrong. There is no universal trigger for acne. Everyone is different.

I've given up all supplements started eating whatever the heck I want. Guess what? I'm 100% clear because all I had to do was avoid orgasms.

What works for me probably won't work for you and vice versa. But that's okay as long as I don't go around ignorantly claiming I know your trigger is.

Ahem.... are you even 100% clear from checking off the things on your list? You're apparently not? Then why would you even post this....

I think i finally realize why we get acne. It seems to be a combination of a BUNCH of things:

The problem is, even if you finally figure out what is causing your acne, sometimes it isnt as simple as eliminating such factors and eliminating the acne. Your body might be so damaged that it is MUCH harder to repair than damage (and it seems that way for me atm).

I honestly believe if i never ever went to highschool and ESPECIALLY college, i would not have had acne. Why you ask? I washed my hands with soap 2-3 times a day in highschool (didn't want others to think my hands smelled etc), i ate the worst fking food imaginable (at home even though half of what i ate was junk, it wasent as bad as highschool/college food). And the stress that comes with being in hs and college.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/24/2012 1:07 pm

Ouch, that sucks.

I don't know... I don't really. I've never been a fan of sweets and stuff like that anyway. I guess for me a treat would be something I can't afford very often, like a grass fed steak.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/24/2012 1:57 pm

Ouch, that sucks.

I don't know... I don't really. I've never been a fan of sweets and stuff like that anyway. I guess for me a treat would be something I can't afford very often, like a grass fed steak.

Now you're talking lol

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/24/2012 6:24 pm

Wrong wrong wrong. There is no universal trigger for acne. Everyone is different.

I've given up all supplements started eating whatever the heck I want. Guess what? I'm 100% clear because all I had to do was avoid orgasms.

What works for me probably won't work for you and vice versa. But that's okay as long as I don't go around ignorantly claiming I know your trigger is.

Ahem.... are you even 100% clear from checking off the things on your list? You're apparently not? Then why would you even post this....

COMPLETELY agree with you. TOo bad i have no idea what is causing my acne